autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How much time does a "real" polisher save over a PC?

So, I did a full one step a few days ago. Used my Porter Cable. I've gotten more efficient over the last season. However, the black Altima would not give up her swirls and scratches so easily. Even with flat thin orange pads it took a lot of pressure. As I recall, it took appx 4hrs with the PC and a combination of HDCUT, orange pads and MF XTRA cut pads. The customer was happy, but I wasn't.

It was particularly frustrated on the vertical panels. Kept thinking...man I need a Flex or BOSS.

But I'm wondering how much actual time would be saved by stepping it up? Up to say 50% but more average around 33%?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much time does a "real" polisher save over a PC?

I've often wondered the same thing, and tried to quantify the difference.

It will be interesting to see the input you get.

Post Thanks / Like

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video.

Looks like the Flex did it in about 60% of the time. What's more of an issue is that with the PC, the job wasn't nearly as complete. Assuming a car is 60 sq feet, with continuous polishing and no interruptions (i.e., no pad exchanges, cleaning, beer breaks), the Flex would achieve 90% or better correction in about 105 minutes. The PC would achieve 70% correction in about 180 minutes.

Obviously lots of variables, but extending from this video example on a mid-sized car with uniform defects, SF4000 and LC pads...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With a polisher like the Rupes 21 you have more power thus being able to remove more paint faster. It also allows you to run larger pads and covers more surface area with a 21mm throw compared to the PC's 8mm (if I'm remembering correctly). You also have to factor in the effort or muscle fatigue in using each machine, as the Rupes is extremely smooth compared to the PC. I really don't think there is any one factor that will answer the question but it's the culmination of a bunch of factors, sometimes small and subjectively measured.

I find the fastest correction is always using a combination of machines and pads sizes (ranging from 2-6.5 inches) to most effectively and efficiently polish each section you're working.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard significantly faster. The porter cable used to be a good machine. It is now very outdated overall and other machines on the market are constantly making improvements
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it's prob better 8n every way look at the price difference

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Reading various reviews on the net it seems the consensus from those having owned both is it cuts time in half. Pretty darn good I'd say. If you're doing it for a living the Rupes and Flex seem the way to go. If you're a weekend warrior then it may not be worth the money.

I personally haven't used one and while I"d love to, I'm not interested in dropping $400-$500 for a new set up when I already have a Shurhold and Porter Cable that work. Again, if this was my career I'd buy one.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

I'd say from a LOT of experience a real polisher or a pro-grade tool will save you 2-4 hours depending upon the size of the car, how many steps you're doing and the condition of the paint relative to the number of steps.

I teach a class at Mobile Tech Expo each year called,

How to turn the FLEX 3401 into a money making machine

And that's what I do. I teach guys how to turn this tool into a money making machine because you can as I like to say and you can quote me on this since I do say it,

"With a Flex 3401 you can POWER through a detail job"

The gear-driven design of this tool provides both

1. Forced rotation
    2. Forced oscillation

And for these unique characteristics you can buff out paint swirl free faster than any tool in my experience.

That's not to take anything away from any other tools except the TIME FACTOR.

If you get a FLEX 3401 get a copy of my FLEX how-to book and read it from cover to cover and then you'll have the head knowledge to master this took the first time out of the box.

Also for the record, I teach guys and girls how to turn the FLEX 3401 into a money making machine at all my 3-day detailing classes and I document my classes with pictures and full write-ups like this,

How to use the Flex 3401 to remove swirls & water spots

Training car: 1955 Chevy 210

Mike Phillips

Here's an observation I've made over the years for what it's worth....

This is the natural progression for most detailers....

Start out working by hand.

Make the leap from working by hand to working by machine and purchase a tool like the Porter Cable 7424XP or any of the knock-offs of this tool and invest about $200.0 for the tool, backing plate and pads. They discover they can turn out better work faster than working by hand without any risks to the customer's car.

Make the leap from working with an entry level tool like the Porter Cable 7424XP to purchasing a FLEX 3401 or a RUPES BigFoot 15 or BigFoot 21 or the various versions of the RUPES tool and find out they can do better work faster than using the Porter Cable 7424XP.

Make the leap from working with orbital to ADDING a quality rotary polisher like the FLEX PE14 to their arsenal and when they really need to knock out deep or serious paint defects or sanding marks the fastest then START with the rotary and top notch abrasive technology and pads and finish with ANY orbital for hologram-free results.

Just an observation...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast