autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting out mobile

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on here and decided it was time to make an account. I've been looking for other threads on mobile startups but haven't gotten all the info I wanted.

I'm looking to start out part time for now, and also mobile. I've purchased and read Renny Doyles book as suggested and have been doing a lot of research on products. One of my main concerns right now is what equipment is most budget friendly, and what have you experienced detailers used that you've liked. I'll be needing to purchase a shop vac, a power washer, a generator, undecided whether I'll go with a water pump for the pressure washer, a steam cleaner, and some sort of "extractor" whether it be a bissell spot clean pro or another one. I'm not looking to break the bank starting out, but I'm looking for good quality on a budget. I'm also not looking for commercial grade stuff as I'm just starting out.

Your input is much appreciated and wanted! Thank you very much for your help, and any other equipment or tools you think would help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting out mobile

What's your budget in mind?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

About 1,000 to 1,500? I could go a little higher if it would be of a much greater benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you mounted water tank PW and generator in truck,or using customers water.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan on either having it in the truck or getting a small trailer. I'd like to use my own water supply. Do I need a pump for the power washer?

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not check out some pawn shops for generator or other stuff,I got a brandnew makita rotary with bag for 90 dollars.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I planned on looking on Craigslist and pawn shops to try and save some money where I could.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing mobil detailing for about a year now. I do not have a pressure washer, steamer, extractor, water tank, and borrow a generator when I need it. I don't really plan on getting any of the above either except a generator of my own. I may get an extractor at some point.

Are you planing on doing just individual customer cars, or are you going to try to do dealer car lots?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I've been doing mobil detailing for about a year now. I do not have a pressure washer, steamer, extractor, water tank, and borrow a generator when I need it. I don't really plan on getting any of the above either except a generator of my own. I may get an extractor at some point.

Are you planing on doing just individual customer cars, or are you going to try to do dealer car lots?
    I plan on doing individual cars for now, dealer lots would be nice in the future but for now I'm just focusing on building a name and reputation. What do you use to clean the cars? Their water? And do you have your own shop vac?

Post Thanks / Like

Karcher X series pressure washer ($299)

McCulloch 1385 steamer ($199)

Shurflo water pump ($59-$120 depending on type)

Rigid 9gal shop vac ($60) with detail kit ($39)

Check around for IBC totes. They are 275 gal tanks that get sold used after transporting food grade liquids. Kinda overkill for detailing but the price is right. I got mine for ($65) with a garden hose adapter thrown in.

Champion 75531I Generator ($899) - Expensive but very quiet and it sips gas.

i do not have experience with the Bissel or other budget extractors.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast