autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I Have The Right Mindset?

Hello everybody!

A while ago I posted asking if, as a college student, I should get a normal part-time job or do my own thing detailing.

Fast forward to now, after doing hobby detailing for a few years and really getting into it, I thought that being a dealership detailer would be the perfect job for me!

I have been working for a few weeks, and it's decent money as far as part-time jobs go (10/hr). However, since day 1, I had to throw out my standards.

Where I would like some advice is if I should throw away the dealership do-it-all brush and do my own thing? I would like to start my advertising efforts and quit the part-time job once I start getting clients.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I Have The Right Mindset?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    Hello everybody!

A while ago I posted asking if, as a college student, I should get a normal part-time job or do my own thing detailing.

Fast forward to now, after doing hobby detailing for a few years and really getting into it, I thought that being a dealership detailer would be the perfect job for me!

I have been working for a few weeks, and it's decent money as far as part-time jobs go (10/hr). However, since day 1, I had to throw out my standards.

Where I would like some advice is if I should throw away the dealership do-it-all brush and do my own thing? I would like to start my advertising efforts and quit the part-time job once I start getting clients.
    While I've never worked for a dealer detailing, nobody seems to like it. Pay sucks and they don't care about anything but speed. But there is something to be said about steady $$$, even if it's not a lot. Especially for a college student. I'm much older than college aged, but I recently started my part. time detailing thing. 2 Weeks in and yesterday I had to turn business away, while that won't be an every day thing for a good while. It shouldn't be that hard to be able to top the $10 an hour you're making. Even if you only work 1/3rd as much doing your own thing. You could still make as much, or more $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

•Going out on your own to operate a detailing
    business requires taking on a lot of responsibilities.

-The first such responsibility that immediately
    comes to mind, is having the proper insurance(s):
    There's a very litigious society awaiting out there.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    Hello everybody!

Are you still in school? Are you looking to make detailing your business/career?

Post Thanks / Like

I was in your shoes back in the late 70's and the dealer well . . Had so many cars to do that yes it was a struggle but once we got caught up they liked that I would 3 step a car and how nice they would come out. Saying this you have to sell them that quality and not quanitiy is what will make the difference but Good luck to you as I know that your under pressure to preform and how much it can bother you because of the quality mindset you have in your work . . . I know I have been in your shoes and well it will get better as you get better with time. . . . Good luck on your job . . . . . .