autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Prove a subtle point to lost customer?

I did a call back on a boat that a gentlemen inquired on. I was pretty sure it was taken care of but wanted to make sure and to ask a few questions.

So, the boat was indeed taken care of and he admitted it was due to my pricing that he went to this other detailer that he typically uses for his show cars/bikes (which I know does iffy work as well as they consider polishing glazing!). Which leads me to believe that he may of been looking for that cheaper guy potentially.

I'm debating and wanting opinions on whether I should check the boat out (as it was offered) and potentially do a test spot to show him the difference? I feel like I could prove my quality is of a higher standard and my prices are adjusted to that accordingly and potentially grab the show vehicles as he gets them detailed once every year for the shows.

Or, am I trying to grab someone I should just walk away from and not worry about?
    On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prove a subtle point to lost customer?

If he has offered to let you see it, then I would take him up on it and if the work is sub-par, then offer to do a test spot as you have suggested.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee he will see the value in your results vs. the price difference, but it's worth a shot. These customers seem to have friends and if you impress him it may lead to referrals.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if he called you he is looking for value.Do a test spot and see what happens.For me boat quotes are firm there is just to much labor if I can't get what I need I'm walking hate doing boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my opinion. I have been in the professional automotive business for over 38 years. I like to use the term " it is what it is and if you don't pay I'll see you later" Well in all the years of saying that I see more people come back than not. If you are the best at what you do there is no reason to charge less. They are paying for your knowledge and expertise. Once they go somewhere else and see the "real world" in the auto business they will be back and then you can have them eating out of the palm of your hand. Many people disagree with my philosophy but I have proven it time and time again. Some of my best customers over the years were ones that I threw out and then begged to come back. You have to remember that the car business in general is though of as low class. I always told my doctor customers that I could go through life and may never be sick but you will always need your oil changed so who needs who more.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

You should always be spending some time growing your business. Test spots are worth a shot for the clients you believe can be swayed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mobile so I get a lot of chit chat questions ,by doing a sample really quick it demonstrates what there getting , so every morning there eyes go to the spot 95 percent of the time they call to schedule.In this business you have to feel or decide who is worthy of a demo,you will know in 3 min of conversation.If you feel there not worthy send them away with a card.

Post Thanks / Like

Well an update:
    Didn't seem like the guy was to worried about the boat looking its best by comments of "its not a show boat" so I had passed.

Well yesterday he reached out to me wanting to see if I wanted to do the test spot. So today I went out and to my surprise the boat looked the same as it did in the pictures. To him it looked better, which I'd be optimistic after paying someone and the other detailer told him its the best it'll ever get and that it was to far gone.... uh what?

So, I went to work on a spot and did what I do best. Once done I called him over, as he came over he commented "I know it wont ever look that good." Pointing to the area typically covered. So I pointed at my spot and said oh you mean like this?

After looking at it he couldn't believe it and brought his wife in to see it. As a result Im now scheduled to re-do the boat correctly and I have acquired his motorcycles, show cars, and even commented on telling his friends and getting me work!

Overall thanks for the advice and reinforcement!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onsite View Post
    Well an update:
    Didn't seem like the guy was to worried about the boat looking its best by comments of "its not a show boat" so I had passed.

Well yesterday he reached out to me wanting to see if I wanted to do the test spot. So today I went out and to my surprise the boat looked the same as it did in the pictures. To him it looked better, which I'd be optimistic after paying someone and the other detailer told him its the best it'll ever get and that it was to far gone.... uh what?

So, I went to work on a spot and did what I do best. Once done I called him over, as he came over he commented "I know it wont ever look that good." Pointing to the area typically covered. So I pointed at my spot and said oh you mean like this?

After looking at it he couldn't believe it and brought his wife in to see it. As a result Im now scheduled to re-do the boat correctly and I have acquired his motorcycles, show cars, and even commented on telling his friends and getting me work!

Overall thanks for the advice and reinforcement!

Becareful with those kind of clients,when your done they will put on there X-ray vision glasses and look for something wrong.If he is not giving you industry compensation I would of walked.It may not be the case here but becareful I had one or two customers like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping not! He doesn't seem to be that type as he was more than happy with their sub par work. To the point he was praising them til he seen my test spot.

(989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just be on alert, last boat I did I gave the customer a good price below industry pay then he pulls the boat around on the lift for me too finish the un polished side and the boat wasn't fully on the lift he raised the boat out of the water and he takes off.I start polishing as I'm standing on a platform I feel the boat and platform start sinking ,the nose of the boat was pointing in the sky.I go and get him my flex fell in the water,he promised me a new flex but guess what I got screwed on that deal.I will never ever do another boat in my detailing career,I don't care how much the job is,I recently turned down a 3000 dollar job on a double deck boat from Michigan .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast