autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Shop...Need Advice

It's been a long process, but it's finally official and things are coming together. I recently signed my first lease for my first detailing shop after being strictly mobile for ten years. I'm super stocked.

It's a brand new construction and I should be able to take occupancy sometime in the first couple weeks of December. I've worked out of my garage in the past occasionally, but being as it's the first shop I've had, I'm looking for advice from those with experience in the area.

The working space is 26'x34' with a large roll-up garage door and a floor drain about 10' in from the door so that I can wash indoors (it's quite cold here in the winter). It will have four 8' fluorescent light fixtures which should provide decent lighting. I've debated sectioning it off slightly on the back third to make two bays in the back with a large wash bay up front, but not 100% sure on that. There is an attached office, bathroom and large storage space with washer, dryer and utility sink, so I won't need to store anything in the main work area.

I don't have a huge budget, and will probably do things over time to improve the space, but I'm curious of anything you guys would absolutely recommend, especially if it's best to be done before moving my stuff in. I'm open to any suggestions and I'll be sure to update this thread as things move along. Thanks everyone!!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Shop...Need Advice

CONGRATS! Sounds like a perfect space!!!!!!!!!! Lets see some pics? I dont have any advice as I do this out of my home garage. But wish you the very best of luck!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

JEALOUS!

I'm now where you are 10 years ago. I'm going through the leg work to do mobile detailing. Till then, customers have been extremely pleased.

Wish I did this when I was younger but not too late

Post Thanks / Like

Again no advice from a beginner but wish the best!

Post Thanks / Like

I just moved into my own shop. Best things: rolling tool cart, rolling stool, and rolling towel draw bin.
    Radio with surround sound type speakers. So you have music all over shop.

Also pegboard along a wall to hang all bottles and tools on. Todd Randich had an awesome set up in his garage, there's a video on his Facebook page (pure shine detailing)

Best of luck on your adventure! I'll post up a couple pictures I have of my set up. It's nothing fancy, I'm just using the space temporarily.

I would also think about adding more lighting. I may add some lights along the side walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Happy for you my friend, like already mentioned, lets see some pics

Post Thanks / Like

No advise, but I'm happy for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! So happy for you. And slightly jealous of your extra 260 square feet haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RFrommann View Post
    I just moved into my own shop. Best things: rolling tool cart, rolling stool, and rolling towel draw bin.
    Radio with surround sound type speakers. So you have music all over shop.

Also pegboard along a wall to hang all bottles and tools on. Todd Randich had an awesome set up in his garage, there's a video on his Facebook page (pure shine detailing)

Best of luck on your adventure! I'll post up a couple pictures I have of my set up. It's nothing fancy, I'm just using the space temporarily.

I would also think about adding more lighting. I may add some lights along the side walls.
    Basically everything he said ^^

I'd also recommend an air compressor for cleaning MF pads and running a tornador. And if you'll be running heat I'd get some type of fan to push the warm air down (heat rises). Also a really good vacuum and 25ft of hose to cut down time moving the vacuum around, this also prevents the chance of the vacuum hitting the door of a vehicle etc. If you'll be extracting in the winter definitely invest in a few air movers to speed the drying process. I could go on and on but you said budget so I'll stop haha best of wishes to you, happy holidays!
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    It's been a long process, but it's finally official and things are coming together. I recently signed my first lease for my first detailing shop after being strictly mobile for ten years. I'm super stocked.

It's a brand new construction and I should be able to take occupancy sometime in the first couple weeks of December. I've worked out of my garage in the past occasionally, but being as it's the first shop I've had, I'm looking for advice from those with experience in the area.

The working space is 26'x34' with a large roll-up garage door and a floor drain about 10' in from the door so that I can wash indoors (it's quite cold here in the winter). It will have four 8' fluorescent light fixtures which should provide decent lighting. I've debated sectioning it off slightly on the back third to make two bays in the back with a large wash bay up front, but not 100% sure on that. There is an attached office, bathroom and large storage space with washer, dryer and utility sink, so I won't need to store anything in the main work area.

I don't have a huge budget, and will probably do things over time to improve the space, but I'm curious of anything you guys would absolutely recommend, especially if it's best to be done before moving my stuff in. I'm open to any suggestions and I'll be sure to update this thread as things move along. Thanks everyone!!
    I give you a lot of credit for washing like a big black salty nasty Tahoe ,and the other salty vehicles right behind it.I did that kind of work in ny,very very hard work I hope you have a steam pressure washer good luck on the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post

Two main components you will need working in that region,a very powerful extractor,and a hot water pressure cleaner,I had my fair Share of winter washing salty embedded pure dirt in every nook and cranny,very very grueling hard work after about 3 pm you are wiped out and then bam out of no where big black Tahoe or excursion is staring you down.I give you guys the biggest credit in the world for winter washing,just be sure that when using immediate hot water try to refrain from rear glass,cause it will explode on you.and invest in synthetic Chams to dry the cars good luck on the business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast