autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Express detail problem

I had a customer that choose an express detail (wash,wax, windows cleaned, dash wiped, vac of all carpet) they were thrilled with the exterior but they were not happy at all with interior. I have been trying very hard to only do the services customers are paying for and explaining to them exactly what that package includes. This particular customer had spilled soda in the cup holders and trash everywhere. I did my best to not go above and beyond but apparently that wasn't good enough. To keep a good relationship with them I re-did the interior at a much higher level. Any pointers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Express detail problem

Extra charge at a reasonable price without wasting your time & effort

Post Thanks / Like

Do a pre-service check with the customer before starting, stating what items would be extra charge.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people have high expectations for low amount of money and do not think at all about your bills your time your labor your rent your products and costs to live.

If its doable you just shut up and do it now if they wanted a full interior shampoo for nothing they can take a long walk on a short pier.

If you had to vacuum a little more and clean a cupholder thats alright.

Sometimes you got to bite the bullet because when they leave they tell there friends family good or bad if you dont do the slightest thing to there satisfaction they will talk good or bad so i try to satisfy my customers so i dont dis please anyone and keep everyone in the neighborhood happy and keep coming back and got ALOT of referrals just by doing a good job

Show your integrity do a good job and no matter what sometimes for other cars you will do extra and thats ok its the way the universe works

Do i think its fair god no these people will let you work 20 hours on there car for 20 dollars and wouldnt have a problem with it and at the same time, when they pick it up they will look over it to make sure you did a good job for there 20 dollars lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Some people have high expectations for low amount of money and do not think at all about your bills your time your labor your rent your products and costs to live.

If its doable you just shut up and do it now if they wanted a full interior shampoo for nothing they can take a long walk on a short pier.

If you had to vacuum a little more and clean a cupholder thats alright.

Sometimes you got to bite the bullet because when they leave they tell there friends family good or bad if you dont do the slightest thing to there satisfaction they will talk good or bad so i try to satisfy my customers so i dont dis please anyone and keep everyone in the neighborhood happy and keep coming back and got ALOT of referrals just by doing a good job

Show your integrity do a good job and no matter what sometimes for other cars you will do extra and thats ok its the way the universe works

Do i think its fair god no these people will let you work 20 hours on there car for 20 dollars and wouldnt have a problem with it and at the same time, when they pick it up they will look over it to make sure you did a good job for there 20 dollars lol
    100% correct aka craigslisters lol watch out!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned over the years to practice what roguerobot suggested. I try to spend as much time as the customer will allow me to go over every nook and cranny of what they want done, inside and out. It then comes down to how many hours it will take me to give them what they want and then simply multiply by X hours my hourly rate. Trust me, if i see spilled soda in the cup holders i'll find it and ask. What kills me sometimes is when i point out some things they don't even know about and then ask me if i can "remove the ding" or "repaint the deep scratch"!

And NxtLevelDtal is right on also.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn to say no. When you saw the interior you should have decided immediately to either discuss that it needed extra work at an extra cost or (which I do not recommend) do what needed to be done at no extra charge and just not say anything.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

All good advice! For me, I try not too offer "Express" or "Wash/Wax" type services to my first time customers. I try to upsell to my higher level services. After Im done with that, thats when I offer to set up their next appointment for their "Express" or "Maintenance" Detail, bi-weekly or monthly. I hope that helps.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input. I will be sure to put all these practices into play!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lustrous Detail View Post
    All good advice! For me, I try not too offer "Express" or "Wash/Wax" type services to my first time customers. I try to upsell to my higher level services. After Im done with that, thats when I offer to set up their next appointment for their "Express" or "Maintenance" Detail, bi-weekly or monthly. I hope that helps.
    Excellent advice!!

I don't even have anything but a full interior detail (minus carpet shampoo) listed on my site as on option. If I'm detailing the interior of a car, I'm doing it all and will discuss in-depth shampooing/steam cleaning after seeing the car.

If I get there and the interior is already quite clean then I surprise the customer and knock $20-30 off the price for them since it won't take me as long, but it's always a full interior until I've seen the car. I may have lost of few jobs over the years because of it, but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

Good luck with it!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast