autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Specialty" Detailing?

Hey everyone!

I have posted a while ago about starting a part time detailing business, and got a price list and brochure together fully intending to do that. However, I wanted to see how school panned out and realized that I had very little time to devote to doing "full" basic details.

In searching for a commuter car to get back and forth to classes and just driving around, I see a large number of headlights that are almost downright dangerous to be driving with at night, as well as many car ads with dirty cars and a couple poor picture.

My idea:
    -Stick to headlight restoration and pre-sale detailing which is a basic "full" detail with the addition of a headlight restoration if needed, and get my brother on board (wannabe photographer) to get pictures together for a car ad.

My question is what other types of "specialty" services such as headlight restoration is there that could be done? (I tried to polish some of the family cars' windshields but m105 and orange pad with the ol' PC doesn't cut it.)

What I want is to be able to do quick jobs in maybe an hour and a half or so max, aside from the pre-sale detailing in order to fit into a tighter schedule.

Feel free to tear into the idea if you don't see me being able to sustain something like that for the rest of my school career!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Specialty" Detailing?

Yeah, glass polishing, or at least from what I have read, can be time consuming even with the right tools and polish.

Just thought of wheel coatings or trashed wheel restoration. Maybe you could work with a local tire shop that sell aftermarket rims also and see if you could do it as an add on for them. Wheel resto, or maybe I should say heavy wheel cleaning/polishing, might take some time.

Headlight resto is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe engine details.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Bit off topic, but I hear people do well for time spent doing cell phone screen replacing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Bit off topic, but I hear people do well for time spent doing cell phone screen replacing.
    A lot of places do iPhones around here. Hard to find places to do Android phones. I guess because there are so many models. They sure do get enough for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! The wheel restoration is a really good idea.

As for the screen replacement, in my area, they are a dime a dozen. There is even an advertisement for one in my local neighborhood ad.

Post Thanks / Like

Would trim restoration count?
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Would trim restoration count?
    Trim resto great idea! We did a Chevy Avalanche in boot camp using Solutions Finish to restore the trim. Unbelievable results and its supposed to last a while. It really changes the appearance of a car.

I can see people wanting that and being able to charge a nice dollar for that work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    Hey everyone!

(I tried to polish some of the family cars' windshields but m105 and orange pad with the ol' PC doesn't cut it.)
    You can use a specific glass polishing pad and glass polish also. A glass specific pad is very thin and definitely will offer more cut then an orange foam cutting pad. Also preping the glass is important before polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Caliber View Post
    Trim resto great idea! We did a Chevy Avalanche in boot camp using Solutions Finish to restore the trim. Unbelievable results and its supposed to last a while. It really changes the appearance of a car.

I can see people wanting that and being able to charge a nice dollar for that work.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast