autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: To much for a paint correction?

My point in all of this is a customers expectations are changed when he asks you what you did and you tell him a one-step and seal, unless you did a thorough job explaining in the first place.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing most folks looking for a detail, or non-forum members, when they heare the words one-step and seal...they don't here the seal part, rather, only the "one-step" part of the sentence.

Then they give you this deer in the headlights look like, "why is the price so high?"...because they don't understand what's being said, much less the extra time/work involved. They think an AIO product is what is being used and so they think they're not getting anything more that an over-the-counter cleaner/wax.
    In fact, the term cleaner/wax describes a one-step perfectly...and that's what makes them so appealing to Joe Consumer. Take a look at how long A12 has been around...almost 43 years.

I'll submit that going around the car/truck more than once is not one-step...it is indeed step(s)...plural...more than one.

One step of cutting, then seal, is indeed once step of cutting, then seal...but it's still two steps. That is, it's going around the car/truck two times.

Again,
    All I was asking Zach was what he used in his one-step cutting process. He still went would go around that truck twice, as he his one-step then seal description was...and that's still two steps.

What I'm saying with all of this is:
    When dealing with customers and showing them our packages we need to be real clear in our communication and clearly state in writing and with word exactly what our intent is.

That is, if a package includes an AIO, then explain you'll be using a product that does everything while only going around the car once, therefore it's a quicker process. Then, if they want to step up in correction, then be clear with explaining the additional time/cost and how many steps of correction each level is and what to expect.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

A customer will never feel the need to ask what we did after the appointment. They will know beforehand exactly what they are paying for. It is our job to ensure that our expectations and the customer's expectations are in line before ever agreeing to work on a vehicle. I've designed my website to answer most of those questions before they ever contact me in the first place, which helps a great deal.

If someone is not communicating clearly to their customer, they're going to have a hard time making it in the business of paint correction. In general, if someone is truly looking for correction work, they should be prepared for the price, and if not, the detailer needs to be able to explain and demonstrate what it is they do and why it costs what it costs.

Not sure how this thread got so far off track... but for the sake of the OP... let's get back to his original question without random side conversation.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    One-step implies one correction step.

We do not currently use any AIO products on customer cars.
    -Zach
    That's what I thought you meant, Zach, but thank you for the clarification.

For others reading this in the future...

... and that is just for a one-step and sealant or wax application.
    Saying "one-step and sealant" is a far cry from saying "one-step correction"...even though I knew what Zach meaning to say.

Thanks again, Zach.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but discussing proper communication as it relates to steps relates directly to what we charge.

A compouning one-step correction, or an FG400 correction will most often take longer than say, a M205 one-step correction. How can you know what to charge until a test spot is performed? Or is that the set price for one-step correction work?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

So anyways im thinking the guy wanted a compound and polish. Which is what i priced it for.

I called a shop asked the same way he did "for a buff and compound polish". They gave me a price if $65 then i asked if that included clay bar compound and polishing etc. Told me no just got wash glaze and wax. Then told me $100 for what i was asking for.... ### how do i even compete against that
    On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onsite View Post
    So anyways im thinking the guy wanted a compound and polish. Which is what i priced it for.

I called a shop asked the same way he did "for a buff and compound polish". They gave me a price if $65 then i asked if that included clay bar compound and polishing etc. Told me no just got wash glaze and wax. Then told me $100 for what i was asking for.... ### how do i even compete against that
    This is exactly what I was talking about.... you must be able to differentiate your services from the rest of your competition.

Clearly there is a difference in what you're doing and what the shop down the road is doing, yet it is your job to make that obvious to your customers.

Put together an informative and clear website that shows your work. Setup consultations with potential clients to inspect their car and discuss how best to proceed with solving the issues they are concerned with. Make them understand the lengthy process and expertise that go into your services. Do this all without bashing anyone else's work, be professional, be knowledgeable, and make them feel that you are the man for the job.

If at the end of the day they were not looking for a higher end service and instead wanted to go get a "buff and wax" that is up to them, but I assure you, with proper marketing and salesmanship you will attract the clientele you are after.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what I was talking about.... you must be able to differentiate your services from the rest of your competition.

Clearly there is a difference in what you're doing and what the shop down the road is doing, yet it is your job to make that obvious to your customers.

Put together an informative and clear website that shows your work. Setup consultations with potential clients to inspect their car and discuss how best to proceed with solving the issues they are concerned with. Make them understand the lengthy process and expertise that go into your services. Do this all without bashing anyone else's work, be professional, be knowledgeable, and make them feel that you are the man for the job.

If at the end of the day they were not looking for a higher end service and instead wanted to go get a "buff and wax" that is up to them, but I assure you, with proper marketing and salesmanship you will attract the clientele you are after.

-Zach
    Excellent advice, Zach. Your attention to detail in your work shows thru in your posts as well.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a fair price, but it depends on the are as to what you can ask, trust me I know!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks zach, something i need to finish is my website. I have a basic one until I can finish my actual permanent site.

Mike thats where i feel im ahead cause no one in my area seems to do anything above glazes that they call buffing/correction. My prices are right around theirs as typical details stand. Might be higher in some areas but i feel that weeds out the demographic i Dont want. Ive seen $60 full details.... ya that guy is swamped, with old mini vans im not interested in lol
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh same guy stated "we Dont use machines on your cars, they damage your paint and leave swirls" no joke
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of us will beg to differ. True paint correction is entirely different than that shop down the street who will "buff and wax" your car for a couple hundred dollars.

I do agree that you need to understand the customer's expectations beforehand though. We are known for our correction work, and only do correction work, so people usually know what they are getting in to. If you do offer more basic services, it is important to explain the differences in service and therefore price in detail before signing a customer up for a particular service.
    Good for you man! I feel lucky when I get a customer that really wants an all out paint correction! I'm usually only detailing interiors, applying wax and every now and then claying and doing 1-steps/AIO.

I think this is a majority of detail businesses and probably most here on AGO fall in that category. The paint correction game is tough to crack when the income level is low in the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12