autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Branching to a fixed location

So, I'm struggling with trying to figure out how to make the move from a mobile detailing business to a mobile/fixed location - have a fixed location in combination with the mobile aspect. Most of my customers prefer the mobile part of the business, but weather doesn't always cooperate, and here in my new town in Bend Oregon, winters will be tougher than I've ever experienced so having a back-up option will be more important.

I'm trying to find something small, like just one bay or something that I can use for one car at a time to try and keep costs down some. I don't have a home garage that I can realistically work out of (it's just big enough to fit a medium car, with no extra room) so that's not an option.

Does anyone have any tips or best practices for what you've done when moving from strictly mobile to fixed/mobile? Is there a percentage of total revenues that I should aim for to keep it under? I've had the luxury of having extremely low over-head for years while doing it mobile, so signing a lease on a shop is a little daunting, but something that will possibly become a necessity by winter and could be the thing that catapults the business to the next level. I am a one man operation and plan to keep it that way for a while too, but maybe not permanently.... Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Branching to a fixed location

I'm going to keep it short and simple since I'm just about to go to bed, you can always feel free to PM me. I love helping others in the business out... and its a bonus that you're also in Oregon WOOT!

When looking for a shop, remember that a small shop in a secluded area for $xxx less than a decent sized shop on a main street may not be the best option, yes I know you'd like to stay a one man operation right now, but the advertising/marketing of having a good location can't be beat. I know I'm in a low cost of living town compared to Bend, but to give you an idea, my rent is $1k for a two bay shop on the second busiest 4-way stop in town. I average 5-10 people a day stopping in for a quote/information. Yes, it takes up time, and this is one of the main reasons I needed an employee. But there's nothing like having the person right in front of you to make the sale. Also something to remember with having a shop, from my experience, is you attract more "production detail" types, and you may have to change up your processes and products a little to adapt to this. One of my favorite things about having the shop though, is having lots of storage and always having everything I need within reach and organized. Plus I'm not trying to figure in my drive time as lowering my profit per hour.

Again, I'm trying to keep it short, best of luck on your venture and feel free to contact me whenever you want some ideas.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the response Ryan, I have read through all your posts about transferring over to a shop from mobile and it has been encouraging. There are a few others on here that have done it as well, but not many.

My main goal is simply to find a place with low overhead with decent location and big enough to fit two cars in. I attract enough business already and I just moved to Bend four months ago, so that isn't my main concern. My problem is that almost all the places available are 1800 sq ft and up (way more than i need or want to pay for).

It will be a huge transition if/when I make it, but after almost 10 years of doing this mobile, I feel like it's time! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way!
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Thanks so much for the response Ryan, I have read through all your posts about transferring over to a shop from mobile and it has been encouraging. There are a few others on here that have done it as well, but not many.

My main goal is simply to find a place with low overhead with decent location and big enough to fit two cars in. I attract enough business already and I just moved to Bend four months ago, so that isn't my main concern. My problem is that almost all the places available are 1800 sq ft and up (way more than i need or want to pay for).

It will be a huge transition if/when I make it, but after almost 10 years of doing this mobile, I feel like it's time! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way!
    1800sqft?! My two bay shop is 26ftx26ft and imo it would be perfect for a one man setup, fitting a crew cab long bed and anything else is always a tight squeeze and I usually end up with one of my employees working outside in the sun. If your main concern is just having an indoor location I have a few friends around here that rent shops at the mini storage. They aren't main street location by any means but they are very reasonable on price. My only comment on doing this is make sure you get a short lease in case you decide sooner rather than later that you actually do want to hire someone. The other reason I thing a "storage unit" would work well for you is location is a blessing and a curse. You want to stay semi-mobile and IME if you have a good location you need to be there during regular business hours every day. My hours are Tuesday-Saturday 9-5 and after 3 months I still get asked why I'm not there on Monday and that I should be open Mondays.
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    1800sqft?! My two bay shop is 26ftx26ft and imo it would be perfect for a one man setup, fitting a crew cab long bed and anything else is always a tight squeeze and I usually end up with one of my employees working outside in the sun. If your main concern is just having an indoor location I have a few friends around here that rent shops at the mini storage. They aren't main street location by any means but they are very reasonable on price. My only comment on doing this is make sure you get a short lease in case you decide sooner rather than later that you actually do want to hire someone. The other reason I thing a "storage unit" would work well for you is location is a blessing and a curse. You want to stay semi-mobile and IME if you have a good location you need to be there during regular business hours every day. My hours are Tuesday-Saturday 9-5 and after 3 months I still get asked why I'm not there on Monday and that I should be open Mondays.
    Thanks for the response, yeah your shop sounds ideal in size, I think I'd want something at 1000 sq ft for an absolute max, but would rather be in the 600-800 range. I don't want to pay for space that never gets used. I've thought about the storage unit idea, but that just seems like it might be odd for customers dropping off and stuff, are you really able to work out of a storage unit, especially washing cars? Right now, I'm thinking I'm probably gonna have to just keep up on Craigslist and wait for something to come available. Summer is the good time for mobile anyway, I'd just like to try and find something by October at the latest I think, plus then I'd probably have more down time to work on it and get everything set up the way I want.

BTW, I did a full size truck today and right before I started polishing it, the neighborhood HOA yard crew came through weed wackers, edgers, trimmers, lawn mowers and finally blowers. I was really wishing I had a shop at that point.

Anyone else have any tips on moving from a mobile to fixed location and best practices on what I should be doing. Thanks again guys!
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Thanks for the response, yeah your shop sounds ideal in size, I think I'd want something at 1000 sq ft for an absolute max, but would rather be in the 600-800 range. I don't want to pay for space that never gets used. I've thought about the storage unit idea, but that just seems like it might be odd for customers dropping off and stuff, are you really able to work out of a storage unit, especially washing cars? Right now, I'm thinking I'm probably gonna have to just keep up on Craigslist and wait for something to come available. Summer is the good time for mobile anyway, I'd just like to try and find something by October at the latest I think, plus then I'd probably have more down time to work on it and get everything set up the way I want.

BTW, I did a full size truck today and right before I started polishing it, the neighborhood HOA yard crew came through weed wackers, edgers, trimmers, lawn mowers and finally blowers. I was really wishing I had a shop at that point.

Anyone else have any tips on moving from a mobile to fixed location and best practices on what I should be doing. Thanks again guys!
    You just stated the exact reasons I yearned for a shop. Here we have one storage unit facility that also rents "shop spaces" that you're allowed to run a business out of. The shops are tucked away but the people I know have no problems running their businesses at this location. Just like being mobile, the technical laws dont allow any waste water to go into the storm drains. I never ran into issues being mobile but I'm not sure about being at a location. At my shop the water drains into the bushes beside my "wash area" but before I knew that I was planning to just pressure pre-rinse the vehicles then do an ONR wash. I'd go to your local public works director (stormwater/wastewater management) and propose your idea to them. Some people like to say "I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission" but I say "rather safe than sorry."
    FTA Website