autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

When should I start raising my prices?

Aloha!

I started detailing professionally this past May (weekend warrior) and have been steady with one detail every Saturday and Sunday. Infact, I'm booked till November. I've been consistent with doing clay and seal type details ranging from $120 (2 doors) to $200 (full size). Also includes and interior vacuum, wipe down and an application of a UV protection.

I work alone, so a 2 Door clay and seal can take up to 4 hours and a full size, 6-8 hours. Calculating, that's about 35/hr. I'm in Hawaii, so time is important cost of living is high.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When should I start raising my prices?

Maybe bump it up to at least $40 - $50 an hour. IMO that is reasonable and you will not scare anyone away. If you are booked till November...that is AWESOME!! Way to go and kick some booty!!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping from $120 to $200 on a 2-Door might be too big of a jump

What are other detailers in your area getting?

Post Thanks / Like

I started out by charging next to nothing for basic correction jobs for friends, family, and acquaintances. After working on several cars and documenting my work, I was being contacted by strangers to have me work on their cars. I did as much as I could because I enjoy this type of work, but after a little while, it became so much work that it was no longer worth my time at that low rate. I made the choice to bump up my prices dramatically (from ~$20/hour to ~$40/hour). It was a scary decision, but something I will never regret.

Demand continued to grow despite higher prices, and while some potential customers were lost due to the increase, many more were gained. I continued to raise my prices over time, and today we average over $1000/job for our work, and I am still booked over 6 months in advance (keep in mind I am a part timer).

So - I guess what I am trying to say is do not be afraid to raise your prices if the demand is there and your work, expertise, knowledge, customer service, etc. support your prices. If you charge more than someone else, you better deliver more. Simple as that.

Best of luck, and keep it up!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Zach.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

It is always a difficult thing to charge what you are worth and mainly because we never think we are capable of charging more than where we currently are. I have made 2 price increases and have more business because of what i deliver. I still don't think i am charging a rate commensurate with my abilities but i am more bold and confident as i move up the rate ladder.

If i was in Hawaii, i wouldn't even begin lower than $50/hour but you know both your skill level and the local market. Without that knowledge myself i am still betting you are tremendously underestimating yourself.

Also, when i changed my rates i picked a point and said "ok, all customers from now on get quoted at $xx/hour". I would never book someone, quote them and then raise the amount although that goes without saying. I picked a point on a calendar and changed eff. that date for new customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    Jumping from $120 to $200 on a 2-Door might be too big of a jump

What are other detailers in your area getting?
    With soo much detailers on this little island and offering all kinds of packages, it's hard to determine the average of what they are getting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I started out by charging next to nothing for basic correction jobs for friends, family, and acquaintances. After working on several cars and documenting my work, I was being contacted by strangers to have me work on their cars. I did as much as I could because I enjoy this type of work, but after a little while, it became so much work that it was no longer worth my time at that low rate. I made the choice to bump up my prices dramatically (from ~$20/hour to ~$40/hour). It was a scary decision, but something I will never regret.

Demand continued to grow despite higher prices, and while some potential customers were lost due to the increase, many more were gained. I continued to raise my prices over time, and today we average over $1000/job for our work, and I am still booked over 6 months in advance (keep in mind I am a part timer).

So - I guess what I am trying to say is do not be afraid to raise your prices if the demand is there and your work, expertise, knowledge, customer service, etc. support your prices. If you charge more than someone else, you better deliver more. Simple as that.

Best of luck, and keep it up!
    Thanks for the advice. First starting, I've also done families and friends at a very discounted price and recently I've been getting referrals. The demand is pretty high considering being booked till November. I'm still waiting on a detail where paint correction is involved. Not much wants to pay for it.

I believe my work is above average and with the products/tools I have, I can deliver it consistently. I'm constantly feeding my knowledge of different techniques and products to work efficiently. I finally determined my system for detailing that allows me to work faster but not sacrificing quality.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to stay right around $35/hr. It fluctuates a little bit given the vehicle (obviously) but it still works out to be about the same usually.

Take your bills/expenses and calculate what you need to live and still have money left over and price accordingly to your average "working hours" per week. But make sure your quality of work is up to the price you're charging or a price increase won't work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post
    I try to stay right around $35/hr. It fluctuates a little bit given the vehicle (obviously) but it still works out to be about the same usually.

Take your bills/expenses and calculate what you need to live and still have money left over and price accordingly to your average "working hours" per week. But make sure your quality of work is up to the price you're charging or a price increase won't work well.
    This^^
    Always take into account your products, tools, fuel, etc. And don't forget taxes. And insurance. And business license. When I first started I charged $20 an hour, And after all my costs were figured in I was actually making less than a McDonald's worker. I charge $40-50 an hour now and have 2 employees, some weeks are slower than others but my profit margin is big enough that I can survive the slow times.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website