autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Well and Wheel Barrel Detailing for customers

Aloha!

For the professionals, are wheel wells and wheel barrel detailing automatically included in your detail packages? Whether it be a basic clay and wax are a full on paint correction?

For me, doing wheel well and barrel detailing can be time consuming and hardwork. It can take me anywhere from 30 to 45minutes on just one wheel section! That's over 2 hours on just the tires/wheels/wheel wells!

Do you guys ask your customer if they want it detailed and charge extra or do you guys just do it regardless?

I recently purchased a pressure washer and steamer so I'm hoping this will speed up the process. But I'm wondering if I should just do away with wheel well and wheel barrel detailing and save my energy and include it in my more pricier detail packages. I look forward to ya'll suggestions! Mahalo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Well and Wheel Barrel Detailing for customers

We do because all we do are full corrections and coatings. If I were to do maintenance washes or just a wash and wax , I would just give a quick brush in the barrels and wheelers then when dry hit them with something like hyper dressing. It looks better and makes you stand out from the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, spell check, wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like

I find there is no escaping this tough question. The attention is in the details. The wheels and what's behind them is almost always ridicules manual labor but it makes the detail. Letting that go is a tough call. By calling it out as not an option on some packages IMO will draw even more attention to it, leaving a customer possibly dissapointed. I'd sooner raise my price than not offer this as standard service. If we don't do the hard work, a customer could just say "I'll do it myself, why do I need a professional?"

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand it either, and the real way to overcome this is to take the actual wheel off. But I'm very inexperienced at how to do that safely (although I'd love to learn because I'm with you, it's the worst part of the car besides the inside for me)

Post Thanks / Like

I do them to the best of my abilities on a basic package of one step. I spend more time on wells, tires and barrels for coating since I coat the wheel and tire. I don't pull wheels but with a selection of woolies, speedmaster and such you can get pretty darn close to 100%. I did a Jeep GC two weeks ago, the wells alone took 2 hours thanks to the carpet in them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I do them to the best of my abilities on a basic package of one step. I spend more time on wells, tires and barrels for coating since I coat the wheel and tire. I don't pull wheels but with a selection of woolies, speedmaster and such you can get pretty darn close to 100%. I did a Jeep GC two weeks ago, the wells alone took 2 hours thanks to the carpet in them!
    So I'm going to save you 2 hours! Here's my secret weapon on the high end car's carpet wheel wells. This takes me 5 minutes of scrubbing and because of the shape of the tool it works PERFECTLY. Buy a few as after 4 or 5 cars the rubber starts to get too flexible. Greatest tool for agitation of interior carpets as well. Don't walk, run to get this. Rubber Pet Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
    So I'm going to save you 2 hours! Here's my secret weapon on the high end car's carpet wheel wells. This takes me 5 minutes of scrubbing and because of the shape of the tool it works PERFECTLY. Buy a few as after 4 or 5 cars the rubber starts to get too flexible. Greatest tool for agitation of interior carpets as well. Don't walk, run to get this. Rubber Pet Brush
    Worth trying ^^
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

While not the safest for you or all wheel types, consider using a wheel brightener (acid) cleaner. This was done in about 30 seconds. Spray on wheel brightener, then pressure wash off with no agitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post

I HATE carpeted well liners. I understand the premis behind them, they're more quiet andhave a slight insulating nature to them over straight plastic, but they are RIDICULOUS to clean!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    While not the safest for you or all wheel types, consider using a wheel brightener (acid) cleaner. This was done in about 30 seconds. Spray on wheel brightener, then pressure wash off with no agitation.

I use Meguires Wheel Brightener, as loong as the wheel is clear coated, as it won't harm it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast