autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

At what point are you "capped" as a one man operation?

I feel like I'm starting to get capped doing this on my own, but don't want the headaches that come with employees. I feel like I've got the demand if I wanted to (I turn down multiple people a day cause I'm too booked up), but the thought of a shop and employees just sounds like work, plus it slows in the winter, so then I'd possibly have to lay someone off. I do this cause I love it and it doesn't feel like work and I'd like to keep it that way.

For the last couple years I've averaged right around $70k in profits (after expenses, before taxes) and while this is awesome, I'm having a hard time figuring out ways to continue to increase profits as I can only work so much, but I'm of the mindset that if your not growing, then your slowly dying.

Anyone out there net more than this while doing it on your own? If so, how so? I'd love to hear ways that anyone has found to increase their profits while staying a one man operation. Thanks!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: At what point are you "capped" as a one man operation?

People are one of the hardest things in life to control or manage IMO.

At least when you're on your own, you're responsible for your own actions. I just read a thread on here where a guy's employee screwed up a car and it cost him lots of money.

I'd stay as a one man show. It sounds like you're already doing pretty well. I'd be interested to see any suggestions on how you can improve business, whilst staying on your own..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Could try a price increase if you are turning work away, Let your price turn a few jobs away? You could hire a young assistant/apprentice have him do the grunt work as you teach him how to do the important stuff slowly. Let him or her do the clean up after putting tools and product away, do the taping off plastics, wash the wheels and under hood detailing, interior wipe down. letting someone do the more menial task at a cheaper rate should allow you to spend more time doing the stuff that really pays. Kinda like a lawyer or accounts office they wont waste there time filling or cleaning up or doing the work they can pay someone 20-30$ an hour to do. like wise for you if you can make 20-25$ an hour after overhead costs doing detailing work paying some one 10-15$ an hour to do the simpler tasks so you can spend more time on the skilled labor parts of the job you should be able to fit in more work.

I think the important and hard part is trying to maintain the level of quality workmanship you established. That is the toughest part you know the employee will not do as good a job as you or care as much as you but you cant grow if you dont try finding and training someone.

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to raise prices a little. This will cut out some people (maybe) and still keep your profits up. If you are so busy you are too cheap.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses so far guys, I've thought about raising prices again, but I've only been iny new market for three months (recently moved from Seattle WA to Bend OR) and didn't want to raise them too fast. I'm already the most expensive place in town, but that could be the road to take.

Davey- that thread gave me more reason to stay as a single man operation, that's exactly the kind of stuff I don't want to have to deal with (along with payroll, hiring, firing, insurance, training, and all else that comes with adding someone).
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I would do both. Raise price a little bit and hire an assistant. Many of the tasks are low risk like cleaning the rims and Wheel wells, doing the interior, etc. You can start this guy on a very low salary and increase his pay as his expertise grows. He will feel good about having pay raises and will want to get better.

I am a one man operation too. So far my biggest cap is doing very long jobs. Some jobs require more than a day to perform and not all customers want to do a 2 or 3 day job at their place. These are the times I wished I had an assistant Rest of the time I am really happy not having any overhead and being able to Schedule the work as I please.

Post Thanks / Like

More money, more problems. Either raise your prices and/or hire an assistant. DON'T pay them hourly. Give them a percentage.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

- add-ons like coatings (glass, paint (duh), leather, etc.) and specialized treatments
    - offering additional services such as paint protection film, tint, PDR, etc. via a trust local provider, where you get a percentage of their high margins

however, finding people who can do those things to a degree that matches your detailing can be hard.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not nearly busy enough to need to hire another person, but I have the same fears as you if I ever get to that point. I gotta make sure they don't mess up. I understand everyone isn't perfect but I would only want someone that I can trust to do great work when I'm not watching.

But at the same time I'd love to have someone around to help. Either an accountant or someone I can trust to help me detail and spread the word around. Gotta stay busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far guys, I've thought about raising prices again, but I've only been iny new market for three months (recently moved from Seattle WA to Bend OR) and didn't want to raise them too fast. I'm already the most expensive place in town, but that could be the road to take.

Davey- that thread gave me more reason to stay as a single man operation, that's exactly the kind of stuff I don't want to have to deal with (along with payroll, hiring, firing, insurance, training, and all else that comes with adding someone).
    I pay around $90 a month for insurance on my one employee. It covers workers comp and damage to vehicles. Now this is for an automotive shop and not strictly detailing. I learned to do my own payroll after I got tired of paying $80 a month for a company to do it. You want to grow and I think learning these skills can help out at becoming a better business person.

Plenty of people are willing to work part time. You can promise the employee 20 hours a week and schedule fleet services or the more tiring work during those 20 hours. Or upon hiring you can explain the position is only for the summer. Possibly market more interior services for the slower rainy/cold months.