autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My employee screwed up today

So I've had my shop for 3 months now after mobile detailing for 2 years. I've never messed up a customers car so today was a first. My first employee of 1 month was wearing a belt with metal inserts in the holes and scratched the rear door and quarter panel on a brand new Kia Soul. When we were drying the car I saw the scratches and went crazy checking my towels and mitts. I checked the before pictures and nothing was there. These scratches were all the way through the clear coat, my fingernail caught on them bad. A few minutes later I noticed the employee's belt and had him stand next to the car and pointed out to him what had happened. After calling the customer and letting him know I will do everything to make it right and pay all the repairs I mentioned that I will try to see if I can buff it out "just in case." So I got the scratches to the point where 99 percent of people wouldn't even see if I pointed it out... but being an autogeek anything less than perfect is still unacceptable even on a Kia. So I hit it one more time and burned through on the body lines. Took it to the body shop and its a $800 repair bill. Fortunately it was going to be a CarPro inside and out job so that will offset the bill a bit but it sucks that its money straight out of my pocket. Needless to say I will be working on an employee handbook including dress code and SOP. I know this guy is a hard worker and wants to learn but sometimes I see that he doesn't have that "awareness" gene. The first 5 times he used the Flex I had to remind him to put the cord over his shoulder.

My questions for you guys...
    Any tips on important things to train employees?
    Do you send them home with a list of videos? (that's how I learned when I started)
    Has anyone else here made or had an employee make a mistake like this?
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My employee screwed up today

OUCH man, it sounds like something I'd have to really try to do to cause damage like that. Back before I knew better I didn't think about things like metal on belts and zippers. I never did any damage, maybe it was dumb luck. Now? I wear my apron even if all I'm going to do is sit inside and wipe down the dash lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    OUCH man, it sounds like something I'd have to really try to do to cause damage like that. Back before I knew better I didn't think about things like metal on belts and zippers. I never did any damage, maybe it was dumb luck. Now? I wear my apron even if all I'm going to do is sit inside and wipe down the dash lol.
    For $1250 plus airfare you could send them to Stuart for Mikes class. After seeing what you are going through sometimes it costs money to make money.

Post Thanks / Like

No belt buckles allowed! I had my driver in the shop for a repair and when I picked it up there was a big scratch, just as you say... Where a belt buckle would line up.

Took it back to the shop and they could have cared less.... I spent 3 hours working on it and was able to get the scratch out. I was a novice at the time and just worked with Clear-coat safe OTC compound and Meg's scratch-x 1.0. That's when I learned I'm pretty good at doing this kind of stuff.

Sorry to hear about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully he learns a lesson by seeing what it is costing you.

Maybe this is why I saw a detail shop in south Florida supply hospital scrubs to the employees to wear when working.

Post Thanks / Like

Employee's are a necessary evil, cant live with them cant grow with out them. Sometimes I still wonder is it easier to just work alone. That is rookie $hit though even a novice weekend warrior knows no zippers no belts no buttons and if you cant dress with out those wear a damn apron. Buy him a nice pink apron with flowers on it that says kiss the chef maybe it will help burn the lesson into his brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Yips...that hurt!

You get props for being a stand-up businessman!

Back in the day when I was working at a gas station (yea, that was looong ago) the owner always told new hires, "NO BELTS!" There even use to be belt buckles that were covered, made especially for 'mechs' back then.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Employee's are a necessary evil, cant live with them cant grow with out them. Sometimes I still wonder is it easier to just work alone. That is rookie $hit though even a novice weekend warrior knows no zippers no belts no buttons and if you cant dress with out those wear a damn apron. Buy him a nice pink apron with flowers on it that says kiss the chef maybe it will help burn the lesson into his brain.
    I like this guys thinking! Def go with the dunce apron idea..... and take pictures lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Yips...that hurt!

You get props for being a stand-up businessman!

Back in the day when I was working at a gas station (yea, that was looong ago) the owner always told new hires, "NO BELTS!" There even use to be belt buckles that were covered, made especially for 'mechs' back then.

Bill
    Second this.... props for taking the hit and making it right. Hurts the pocket but speaks volumes about the way you conduct business.

At least its a unfortunate lesson learned. Now you can move forward and make up a dress code. Or a uniform perhaps. Personally I would go with a uniform. Then that limits potential offensive material, damaging acessories and so on. Also, maybe even do away with rings! Although I always wear mine lol!
    On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Although unfortunate, one learns fastest by making their own mistakes. Instead of calling it screwing up, in my industry, we all it "operating experience." We cover OE every day, as to discuss the mistakes and learning experiences of the past so we do not make them again in the future.

If that fails, I'm another vote for the pink, flowered apron.

Post Thanks / Like

@OP:

Can't hardly excuse your employee's wardrobe malfunction...
    But if you get a chance:
    You need to re-read your original posting.

IMHO:
    •There's at least three detailing blunders listed, therein,
    that you committed yourself. Either you were using them as:
    -"training exercises" for your employee;
    -or you, yourself, need to be enlightened/re-enlightened...
    or trained/re-trained.

-If it's the later:
    Doesn't set very good examples for any employee
    that's being lectured about their wrongdoings.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast