autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Expense and Income Tracking

I am currently in the market for some kind of software to track the following:

Expenses (products, rent, insurance, other miscellanous expenses)
    Income (what I am taking in and from who, payment methods, etc)

I got a copy of Quick Books Pro but it is not what I am looking for. I need something much simpler. I just need to be able to track what money comes in (and from who) and what money goes out. Need this information to be able to be sent to a tax professional at the end of the year but also to track everything accounting to a T.

Anyone have any suggestions other than the Excel spreadsheets I have been using? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expense and Income Tracking

Take a look at Quicken Home & Business. It is a much simpler version of QB pro designed for homeowners and small business ( a lot cheaper too!!)

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago (mid 90s), I used My Invoices & Estimates but I don't think it does any expense tracking. Maybe you can track your expenses with some other program. I switched to Quickbooks within a few months after having an accountant teach me how use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I am currently in the market for some kind of software to track the following:

Expenses (products, rent, insurance, other miscellanous expenses)
    Income (what I am taking in and from who, payment methods, etc)

I got a copy of Quick Books Pro but it is not what I am looking for. I need something much simpler. I just need to be able to track what money comes in (and from who) and what money goes out. Need this information to be able to be sent to a tax professional at the end of the year but also to track everything accounting to a T.

Anyone have any suggestions other than the Excel spreadsheets I have been using? Thanks!
    What do you mean track everything accounting to a T?

Post Thanks / Like

Need this information to be able to be sent to a tax professional at the end of the year but also to track everything accounting to a T.

I suggest you learn how to use Quickbooks, because most accountants know it and understand it and you can just ship them your data file.
    Yes it has a steeper learning curve but you can grow a lot as a business and never have to buy another program.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO QB Pro is one of the best out there. You can get someone that is a certified QB person that can set up you accounts and expenses. I did and it's been great. I can make my own invoices and I can track all of my sales and expenses and I can reconcile every month with ease.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

QB really does make life easier for both you and your accountant. The Pro version has a lot of extras you probably don't need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    What do you mean track everything accounting to a T?
    Pretty self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    I suggest you learn how to use Quickbooks, because most accountants know it and understand it and you can just ship them your data file.
    Yes it has a steeper learning curve but you can grow a lot as a business and never have to buy another program.
    That is part of the reason why I chose it. Just seems like a lot more than I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO QB Pro is one of the best out there. You can get someone that is a certified QB person that can set up you accounts and expenses. I did and it's been great. I can make my own invoices and I can track all of my sales and expenses and I can reconcile every month with ease.
    All I really need this for is to track what I purchase, what I pay for insurance, what I pay for shop rent, and what I take in from customers. I would also like to be able to save their information. I don't need to tie to my bank account or anything like that. I went through QBP for a few hours and couldn't find out how to do any of the above. I have no reason to print invoices. Either I have the wrong program or I need to do what others said and find someone to train me on it. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a CPA and curse clients who dont use it. Find a local CPA or beter yet a very good book keeper (will be cheaper) and pay to have them teach you a few times. Put it on a lap top you can go to there office they can teach you how to use it on your own machine help you set it up. Then you go home use it for few weeks or month then go back with questions and to learn more advanced reporting after you have few month info in it to look over. If you have a CPA you use for your taxes they may do it or recommend someone who does. Could also look into night course at local university or Community College.

You need to start using it if you are a full time business, even if its a side thing if you are reporting your income you want to track your write offs for your taxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty self-explanatory.

That is part of the reason why I chose it. Just seems like a lot more than I need.

All I really need this for is to track what I purchase, what I pay for insurance, what I pay for shop rent, and what I take in from customers. I would also like to be able to save their information. I don't need to tie to my bank account or anything like that. I went through QBP for a few hours and couldn't find out how to do any of the above. I have no reason to print invoices. Either I have the wrong program or I need to do what others said and find someone to train me on it. Thoughts?

When it comes to computers, cameras or anything tech....I can tell you that Homer Simpson is smarter than me!! IMO if you do not try to learn QuickBooks Pro (your current system) you are actually hindering your business. As all the posts here say that CPA's and Accountants use this program. QB is made by Intuit. CPA's use their Tax programs and send their reports to the IRS with a program made by Intuit. I don't know what the percentage of market they have, however, I know my CPA uses it as he let me know.

Get someone to teach you. Once you learn, you will be happy. Spending more money for another program and may have the same problems is something that does not make sense.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast