autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Credit card fees.... who's charging them?

We let the customers know beforehand of the cost of using a card.

Sure, we can cover the cost, but after a months worth of income, square could potentially take a couple hundred bucks of it. No thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The laws on this were changed about 2 years ago. You now have the ability to charge customers a fee, although there are restrictions.

I never understood this practice, and it seems odd to charge customers. Yes you do have to pay a percent, but it is likely costing business, as I am sure I am not the only one that would not do business with a company with that practice.

It is far safer than taking checks, and even cash. You do not have to worry about taking it, keeping it safe, compiling it, transporting it to the bank, and depositing it. I am curious of what percent of cash and checks never make it into the bank for one reason or another.

Post Thanks / Like

I absorb it. If they pay cash great but I certainly don't hit them up for 6 bucks on a 250 dollar job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    Yes you do have to pay a percent, but it is likely costing business, as I am sure I am not the only one that would not do business with a company with that practice.
    Have you been to a gas station or convenience store that charges to use debit?

I'm sure you have because about all of them do it. And I'm sure you pay the price without blinking... I mean, you have to be pretty cheap to walk away from a tiny fee to use a card

I'm not a convenience store, LOL, but I make sure that my clients get their money's worth. And I let them know it's cash or card with a 3% fee before starting any work. Fair, right?

To me, not charging the small understandable fee is like not claiming everything reasonably possible come tax time. 3% of my expenses during the year can equate to all of the microfiber towels I buy. I don't buy much, but you better believe that I'm writing it off!

But your right! Anyone that is too cheap to pay the 3% convenience fee of swiping their card instead of running to the atm should not do business with me. Which, for the past year and a half has been NOBODY LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do business with you, sorry. It's a low-class tactic.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I have never charged a cc fee as mentioned above "it's part of the territory".

That said, I accept all of the major credit cards. AmEx is the highest percentage followed by Discover. There aren't many clients who use Discover these days, however there are a few who always prefer AmEx. I'll eat the costs as needed, but have no problem with it.

By the way, I only accept cash from first time clients/customers. I was burned once and am not about to let it happen again.
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post

I'm sure you have because about all of them do it.

Not in my part of the country. Just because your little world does doesn't mean all do.

Cost of doing business. If it's that important to you factor it in. Like others, I wouldn't do business with you because it smacks of nickel and diming for every last penny.

Post Thanks / Like

The only place that charges me to use my card is my gas company. They charge a "convenience fee" and it makes me angry every single time. Anytime I process a card I eat the fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post

I'm sure you have because about all of them do it. And I'm sure you pay the price without blinking... I mean, you have to be pretty cheap to walk away from a tiny fee to use a card

I'm not a convenience store, LOL, but I make sure that my clients get their money's worth. And I let them know it's cash or card with a 3% fee before starting any work. Fair, right?

To me, not charging the small understandable fee is like not claiming everything reasonably possible come tax time. 3% of my expenses during the year can equate to all of the microfiber towels I buy. I don't buy much, but you better believe that I'm writing it off!

But your right! Anyone that is too cheap to pay the 3% convenience fee of swiping their card instead of running to the atm should not do business with me. Which, for the past year and a half has been NOBODY LOL
    1. All of them do not do it. I can not think of a time any have charged me. A lot of gas stations have a minimum you have to buy in order to process a card, and that is not the same thing.

2. This point makes no sense, and you are actually making an argument against your point. You write off your microfiber costs because you paid for them. If you had a fee for c/c processing you could write that off as well. Its the cost of doing business.

3. A little ironic you are calling your customers cheap for not ponying up an expense to your business, and thinking the customer needs to go to the atm to be convenient for you.

4. You might want to do some research, because there are specific terms that have to be met in order for it to even be allowed to charge that fee, and each company is different. If someone we to call an complain, you could be out some money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    1. All of them do not do it. I can not think of a time any have charged me. A lot of gas stations have a minimum you have to buy in order to process a card, and that is not the same thing.

2. This point makes no sense, and you are actually making an argument against your point. You write off your microfiber costs because you paid for them. If you had a fee for c/c processing you could write that off as well. Its the cost of doing business.

3. A little ironic you are calling your customers cheap for not ponying up an expense to your business, and thinking the customer needs to go to the atm to be convenient for you.

4. You might want to do some research, because there are specific terms that have to be met in order for it to even be allowed to charge that fee, and each company is different. If someone we to call an complain, you could be out some money.
    EDIT: Here is a link with some information. The law that went into effect 2013 is only for Visa and Master Card, and only for Credit Cards. You can not charge one for Debit Cards. There are also states where the law is prohibited, California is one of them. It appears you also have to have a line items for it on your receipt.
    Credit card surcharges now allowed, but retailers hesitate

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast