autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Market Coatings in lower income areas?

So I really want to get Pro Authorized with Optimum but I saw that I need to purchase 300 per month. My area has 2 automatic car washes and I'm the first detailer in 15-20 years. This question is for those of you on the CQuartz Finest list or Optimum Pro list, Do you get calls from their website? If not how do you make sure you sell enough coatings? I mention to all my customers with newer vehicles the benefits of a coating but once they hear $500 they are done. Should I just start by using Opti-Gloss and move up the ladder once I figure out the market? I just don't see Opti-Gloss being as attractive without a good warranty.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Market Coatings in lower income areas?

I feel your pain. I don't use Opti Pro or CQ, I use Americana but it is still very hard to get people to fork over for it. I change $250 for a car plus require a 1-step. Mostly new car people that have a garage queen have opted for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly feel you can only charge what the area will bear. I do some of the wealthiest people in the U.S. But they only pay what they feel is fair. We charge a reasonable price and coatings are now 95 percent of our business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I strongly feel you can only charge what the area will bear.
    +1

It's better to sell what the market wants, then to push something they don't (or can't afford.) You can offer a coating; it doesn't have to be the exclusive one. Most people don't know there is a difference anyway. Heck, most people don't know what a coating is. I know I had never heard of coatings until I started getting back into detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a middle of the road area, not low income, but not a huge city. I offer coatings from Modesta and CQ Finest and I am on both maps. I am by far the most expensive service in my area, heck, maybe in two states, but it has been working and I have been doing some really nice cars and coating.
    Never underestimate the power of marketing and just getting out to get to know the people with the cars.
    I try to go to car shows or local club meets and just talk cars with the guys and gals who own nice cars. I always introduce myself with my business name and I also always have a nice shirt on.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

If people are not asking for it, don't bother. The key to success is to offer people what they want. From what you are saying, I think you should take baby steps. First get them to come to you for detailing. Then try to get them to put waxes and sealants on their cars. Once that business is working well, get them the info about the benefits of coatings and you might get some more business with that. Right now they seems to want an appetizer and you want to sell them a rib steak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I strongly feel you can only charge what the area will bear. I do some of the wealthiest people in the U.S. But they only pay what they feel is fair. We charge a reasonable price and coatings are now 95 percent of our business.
    Lies all lies JK Mike.

I agree with Mike all my correction clients are my coating clients as well and this should be the case. You never want to sell a caoting to a customers that are will not have the paint in the best condition possible. Even when it comes to brand new cars I require a stage one correction at a minimum before a coating is installed

Not everyone will know what a coating is and for the price market price you should be selling them at not everyone one calling will be a coating client.

When coatings are marketed properly to the right clients they can help increase your profits.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

if there is a quota to be an auth dealer for any brands, not just OPT...and you know you'll be doing a pioneering job to get those coatings out there in your target demographic, imo, don't even try. not worth the hassle.

just get hooked up with a distributor, get a consumer version of whatever you like, such as UK or GC, keep that in the wings and if people come in, you can try to sell them on that version for now and see what happens. once word spreads, it might take off...it might not, but you'll get a better picture down the line, you won't have quotas looming and you'll have less overhead since you'll be stocking less pro coatings and their higher cost(s).

i mean just looking at how far coatings and the market surrounding them have come in the past five years...or even two years, the future is going to be different as things progress.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Builthatch said just use the consumer grade stuff for now. CQuartz is a great product as is OPT GlossCoat. I know #hateswirls is loving the BlackFire Coating. You can get several cars from a small bottle of the Blackfire product. Start with those and if the local market wants something higher end then add it. But all of those are 2yr products.

Post Thanks / Like

Its tough.

As in, really tough.

I stay as a Pro Installer for Optimum simply because it brings my business a level of legitimacy that others do not have. I sell 5x more Gloss-Coat than OC Pro.

Yes I get calls from the OC website links, but mostly from people 1.5-2 hours away. I travel to them if they are willing to pay.

Being a coating guy in a small market is fine, but do NOT attempt to rely on it for a majority of your income. I do 20 wash and wax/interior only details to every high end coating.

I love coatings, don't get me wrong. They are fun to apply plus provide good profits, but if I'm not willing to move to be a particular type of detailing business it is my responsibility to work with what I have.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com