autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The infamous question: "How much do you charge for a detail?"

Maybe it's just me, but the most frustrating question I get asked (multiple times a day) is "how much does a detail cost?" I'm getting better at answering since having the brick and mortar shop open for a month and getting "pricing sheets" I can hand to the customer. But it still hurts me when I get asked that question because I don't know what people expect for a "detail." Most of the shops around I believe do a quick AIO for the exterior and a shampoo/wipe/vac for the interior. I just have such a hard time explaining the different levels of detailing to people who have no idea what the difference between a wax a buffing is. Like someone will come to me and say they had their "truck waxed and the guy left circle scratches in the paint from pushing to hard" and I don't know if I should explain to them what the "hack detailer" actually did or if I should just tell them what it would cost to fix it. When I tell them the cost they are blown away because they don't understand the time involved but when I try to explain the process to them it goes in one ear and out the other. There has never been a detail shop within 15 miles of my town so people don't have a clue what a detail even is. Not trying to rant, just voicing what's been going through my head the last few weeks with trying to do a detail and having someone stop by every half hour.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The infamous question: "How much do you charge for a detail?"

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the most frustrating question I get asked (multiple times a day) is "how much does a detail cost?" I'm getting better at answering since having the brick and mortar shop open for a month and getting "pricing sheets" I can hand to the customer. But it still hurts me when I get asked that question because I don't know what people expect for a "detail." Most of the shops around I believe do a quick AIO for the exterior and a shampoo/wipe/vac for the interior. I just have such a hard time explaining the different levels of detailing to people who have no idea what the difference between a wax a buffing is. Like someone will come to me and say they had their "truck waxed and the guy left circle scratches in the paint from pushing to hard" and I don't know if I should explain to them what the "hack detailer" actually did or if I should just tell them what it would cost to fix it. When I tell them the cost they are blown away because they don't understand the time involved but when I try to explain the process to them it goes in one ear and out the other. There has never been a detail shop within 15 miles of my town so people don't have a clue what a detail even is. Not trying to rant, just voicing what's been going through my head the last few weeks with trying to do a detail and having someone stop by every half hour.
    Hopefully someone will chime in on this as i can totally relate. Nothing but hacks in my area and when you give them a price li8ke you say they are blown away. People have such a narrow mind when comes to auto detail work like anyone can do it and like its that easy. I've thought about throwing in the towel many times at least where i currently reside because people just don't understand the work involved. Time is Money no matter what yet people still expect the world for $150. Most people don't grumble about mechanic rates. My customer who owns a shop charges $110 per hr for labor yet people don't grumble but for a $250 detail which you give 5-6 hrs seems to be a like the world is ending.

Post Thanks / Like

You may try a referral campaign with existing customers who are happy to pay for quality.They already know what your prices are and how good your work is.They are your best sales team.

Post Thanks / Like

Look...cars needing repairs in order for people to get from point a to b...is not the same as having a car that looks shiny and clean. Detailing is looked upon as a luxury, not a necessity for 98% of the population. I remember Barry Meguiar once saying that only about 2% of car owners put a priority on having their cars detailed. His point being that there is potentially a huge untapped market.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Look...cars needing repairs in order for people to get from point a to b...is not the same as having a car that looks shiny and clean. Detailing is looked upon as a luxury, not a necessity for 98% of the population. I remember Barry Meguiar once saying that only about 2% of car owners put a priority on having their cars detailed. His point being that there is potentially a huge untapped market.
    My point being money is money. If the repair guy said your bill is $850 for water pump and timing belt most will gladly paynit yet gripe over a $200 detail bill.

Labor intensive work cost money be it detailing, plumbers, mechanics etc. People just don't get it though. Anyone can try or say they detail but to they have the skill set for it.

Post Thanks / Like

First thing I ask is there budget. If they say 150 then I explain my AIO. But try to upsell a better package for 250.

Totally get you. The other one that gripes me is the guy that spend thousands on custom paint and upgrades but need 300$ worth of correction done and says that it's too much for him. I let em walk. Still has his swirls.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be detailing my neighbor's red, 2013 Ford Crew cab/long bed when I know I'm going to have solid good weather for at least 2 days. We trade work sometimes and where he is Bob Villa, I am Tim the Toolman. So I quoted him $150 (the wife said DO NOT!!! charge him, but he won't do that because "that's a lot of work!"). But he DOES know that if anyone asks, it was a $450 job (exterior and glass. MAYBE a light vac on the inside, but he might do that while I'm buffing).

The only thing I regret about getting into this job is the roof and hood, this is a BIG truck.

I'm lucky in the fact that he wants his truck pristine, but refuses to do it himself, he HATES waxing a car and I'm the only one he trusts to do it from seeing me do my car all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a definitive, objective answer to the question. For me it comes down to what the customer wants. If they're happy with a wash and a wax so be it. A lot of my female customers are happy with an interior "detail" and an exterior wash. I make a quick attempt at educating them on the various levels of "detailing" however making sure they understand the different amounts of time to get those levels and time is money. With that said, i truly enjoy and appreciate the few very discerning and particular customers who either know what paint correction is or just simply priveleged enough to want my best service. The latter may not even know how it gets that good but will pay for it again and again.

How much is a detail? It depends on what you want done to your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem around my area. There are a few shops I see around that are booming, but its quantity over quality for them. There is another guys that charges like $75 for a detail and people flock to that. We are a college town where the kids that attend have money and I just need a way to tap into that market.

If I tell someone its $150 for a AIO they just say well I can go here and they'll do it for $100 -- have fun, I say.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my main problem with that question is when they say detail and really mean vac/wipe/wash my mind cant get away from MY definition of detail and wonder if they really do want the works for the wash/wax price. I put myself in a bind. Even when asking people exactly what they mean they still (in my opinion) stay pretty vague.

There will always be a difference of opinion on what a detail is compared to a wash and I wish I could find a middle ground.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast