autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to deal with customer

So we just launched a groupon, for detailing which I dont advise as groupon takes 50% of what you charge. So we got our first customer thru there, Went and did the job and pocketed a whooping $25 after fees, not including supplies or gas. But to my surprise the guy gave me a tip of $20. He lives about 25 mins away. So I get a call almost three days later ( two days later but at 6pm at night.) Saying " hey I just pulled the car in the garage and noticed that the roof of the car was not cleaned or waxed." Which the roof of the car was cleaned. But it was exposed to the elements for almost 3 days one of which it rained ?

I dont want any bad reviews as our company is still starting but seriously 3 days after you call and say the roof wasn't done after it sat outside in the rain? What you would you do? How would you handle the situation?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard to deal with customer

I'd send him the photo documentation of the in-progress work and final product.

It's obviously difficult to take the time to adequately document the work when you're only paid $25, but it should be done both for your portfolio and for your protection, so the value is there.

I find my customers do appreciate when they 'think' they have an issue and I can say, "Let me take a look at my photos and see if I have any documentation of that", then I can show them or send them the photo and follow up with, "refer to the attached photo, it appears that damage was an existing condition" or "As you can see from the attached photos, we did clean, polish and seal the roof as was agreed upon, if there's some additional work you'd like done or you are not satisfied with the results, I'd like to discuss that because I want to ensure you are fully satisfied" or "yes, we missed that item during the work. I'll stop out at your earliest convenience and take care of that, it should have been addressed as part of the original work, so there won't be any additional charge"

Obviously if the owner expected a filet for the price of a hamburger, either the expectation wasn't set or they're trying to pull one over on you, both cases need to be straightened out.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be a pain but I'd offer to come out and go over it again, and then give him a discount on a next wash.

I'd say the last thing you wanna do is show him a picture of the roof being waxed, the customer for whatever reason is not satisfied... showing him a picture of you waxing the roof is not going to make him satisfied.

And I agree Groupon takes enough to not make it worth it... In fact when I see a company selling something on Groupon it makes me wonder how much profit they are making if they can offer a discounted price and still lose 50% on top of that discount!

Post Thanks / Like

You could explain that you washed and waxed it, however "If you want me to come back out and re-do it again, I will."
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

I would assure him that it was, but offer to do the roof again if he wants to come over. if it was washed, clayed and waxed, it will only take a few minutes to redo. I doubt he would drive that far unless he sincerely believes what he is saying. Face to face with the customer and car is the best way to make sure he's happy. Consider that he could be a lifelong customer worth thousands of dollars. BUT if he is unrealistic, let someone else have the blessing.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unrealistic expectations. Seriously, if someone showed up at my house to wash anything for $25 you can't complain about the quality, let alone 3 days later, after x, y and z. Don't worry about OP. Just explain your thought process like you did in this thread to the customer and if they don't understand...they're out of luck because THEY lost a great service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayClark79 View Post
    It's going to be a pain but I'd offer to come out and go over it again, and then give him a discount on a next wash.
    I agree with taking the time to make it right. Going out of your way now for such a minor issue can land you a long term customer. I disagree with discounting a service. Instead, offer a simple service as a courtesy such as a spray wax with your next wash.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, STOP with Groupon...PERIOD. All you will get are difficult customers like that. Additionally, 3 days later...that is unreasonable. As for worrying about a bad review on Yelp...you can respond to the bad review if it happens. I know we recently had a thread about Groupon and there were quite a bit of thoughts on it.

Additionally, you will see you check from Groupon in about 30 to possibly 60 days later....Craigslist is another market NOT to tap into.

IMO your hard work and your quality of work does not deserve Groupon customers....you are way better than them!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    Unrealistic expectations. Seriously, if someone showed up at my house to wash anything for $25 you can't complain about the quality, let alone 3 days later, after x, y and z. Don't worry about OP. Just explain your thought process like you did in this thread to the customer and if they don't understand...they're out of luck because THEY lost a great service.
    The problem is they pay $50, But we pocket $25 so there expectations are higher. Groupon charges them $50 but takes 50% leaving us $25 profit and he did give us a $20 tip because he didn't know that groupon took so much. I dont think he would be a long term customer because he said the only reason he paid for the service was due to him working in the garage and having to move his car out of it for a few days.

Extra work was already done on what we charged in the groupon as well, We finished off the chrome polish, did the wheel wells and the door jams, Vents, ext. Which was not covered in the original groupon but we went out of our way to do these extra things. If the guy lived 5 mins away no problem but to travel 25 min to do a 10 min job 3 days after is absurd. You have to factor in the gas I have to use to go back there for 10 mins to do something.

I will attach some pics of the car for you guys to look at

Home

It is the cadillac cts on the front page
    Last edited by powerpunk5000; 04-22-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: pictures didn't upload

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I'd send him the photo documentation of the in-progress work and final product.

It's obviously difficult to take the time to adequately document the work when you're only paid $25, but it should be done both for your portfolio and for your protection, so the value is there.

I find my customers do appreciate when they 'think' they have an issue and I can say, "Let me take a look at my photos and see if I have any documentation of that", then I can show them or send them the photo and follow up with, "refer to the attached photo, it appears that damage was an existing condition" or "As you can see from the attached photos, we did clean, polish and seal the roof as was agreed upon, if there's some additional work you'd like done or you are not satisfied with the results, I'd like to discuss that because I want to ensure you are fully satisfied" or "yes, we missed that item during the work. I'll stop out at your earliest convenience and take care of that, it should have been addressed as part of the original work, so there won't be any additional charge"

Obviously if the owner expected a filet for the price of a hamburger, either the expectation wasn't set or they're trying to pull one over on you, both cases need to be straightened out.
    Here are some photos

View image: 20150419 150806 1 1

View image: 20150419 150608

View image: 20150419 150427

View image: 20150419 150547

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast