autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard to deal with customer

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    There are two ways to handle this.

Amateur way:

1. Tell the dude to get bent.

Professional Way:

2. Make it right and offer to re-wash the car. Unfortunately, you signed up for Group On... God only knows WHY you would do that when they take a whopping 50% !!!!!

It doesn't matter if your right or he's right. When your a professional at ANY job, you have to do what you reasonably can to make the customer feel the job is right. This is the cost of business and the process of dealing with people / customers - some who are harder to please than others.
    I disagree. There are more options than bending over backward or being a jerk; show him that you did the work that was agreed upon, in fact you did more than was agreed upon, tell him you want him to be satisfied, but there's a cost associated with additional work, if nothing else for the mileage. I think the professional thing to do is give this guy an education, not a handout. You won't be in business long bending over backwards for clueless customers. The guy got what he paid for, if he wants more, he's gotta pay for it.

The guy gave the OP a good tip, there's something to be said there, so if you wanna take the loss on this one and chalk it up to learning, then so be it, but doing that regularly will not result in a profitable business.

I don't go into a tire shop and demand new tires because I let my alignment go to hell. You leave your car outside for 3 days and it gets dirty, that's not an issue with my work. I will let customers leave their car with me an extra day if it's raining so they don't drive it home in that weather, but this was a mobile job, if the guy couldn't pull the car inside I'm not going to give him a handout.

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked with many clients that use groupon. They are a great tool, but like all tools, they have to be used correctly. There are definitely people that will not be your normal customer, but to assume all are "not the type of customer you want" is extremely short sighted.

Quite a few people use discounts as a way to "try something out", but not have to commit to as large of a financial burden. This is how myself, and i would assume quite a few people started getting into legit detailing their car. I found this website, but noticed these prices were much higher than the Walmarts/Autozone prices I was use to. There was a 20percent discount going on at the time and i tried a few things out, and now I have given thousands of dollars to this site.

Things like Groupon are a great way to get your name out there when you are starting out. Dont be mad at Groupon or the customers if they dont see the value in paying more than the discounted rate.

Also, you are paid on Groupons sold, not redeemed. 20percent of all Groupons go unredeemed, and that is free money.

I assume just about everyone in here just talks a big game rather then telling their customers what they are saying in here they would say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    I assume just about everyone in here just talks a big game rather then telling their customers what they are saying in here they would say.
    You are likely wrong about that. Most of the people on here are legit business owners that have no problem explaining to clients that they get what they pay for, but in a professional way.

If aren't able to do that, they won't be in business very long. Anyone that actually believes after 3 days of being outside that your vehicle will look exactly like it did immediately after the service is very unlikely to be a long term outstanding client.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    You are likely wrong about that. Most of the people on here are legit business owners that have no problem explaining to clients that they get what they pay for, but in a professional way.

If aren't able to do that, they won't be in business very long. Anyone that actually believes after 3 days of being outside that your vehicle will look exactly like it did immediately after the service is very unlikely to be a long term outstanding client.
    I understand that, but in the way that many have explained the way they would portray that message, will end them up without a business much quicker.

To many business owners, not just this type of business, do not always understand the idea of loss of future potential earnings. I am not saying that you should coddle to every customer, and as the owner you do what you feel is right. Lets say your average customer spends $400 a year with you and stays with you for 2.5 years. That means each person you come in contact with you is worth $1000 to your business. Is it worth you taking the time to ensure your customer was happy, and spend $100 in loss time and supplies to gain $1000. Or what if that customer could have gotten you 1-2 referrals.

And the "customers are not always right" thought process is way off. In most cases you are not the only shop in town, and this is definitely want not a need type of business. All that matters is that the customer thinks they are right. If it is more important to stand your ground and prove a point, have at it, but they will take their business elsewhere.

Money should be the result of the work you put in, not the goal you set out with.

Post Thanks / Like

Another random note. Why is everyone assuming the guy has the expectation that the car look exactly the same way it did after the detail 3 days later? Would he not have the same complaint about the hood and the tunk? Why just the roof?

Post Thanks / Like

And the "customers are not always right" thought process is way off. In most cases you are not the only shop in town, and this is definitely want not a need type of business. All that matters is that the customer thinks they are right. If it is more important to stand your ground and prove a point, have at it, but they will take their business elsewhere.
    Since you directly quoted a couple things I said, I'll go ahead and respond:

1) I disagree with you about Groupon. I think it's a perfectly viable service for many people, but it puts you in a category with other types of detailers some business owners(including myself) may not want to be associated with. There is only one detailer in my area that has ever used Groupon that I would recommend. I watch every day for the detailing deals and I always see who does them - I have personally been referred customers who were unhappy with the service they got from the Groupon guys. So again, this is a choice and you'll hear both sides of the fence on it.

2) You have no basis to say a thought process is way off when someone runs their shop or business different from you, especially if it's in a different climate and they are using it as a side-business like I am. Customers are not always right. There are reasonable and unreasonable demands. There always have been and there always will be. I had someone try and haggle with me on prices and I told them I run a flat rate and my process costs what it costs and they weren't happy about it. I understand perfectly well the concept and real cost of them never being a client of mine, and it's okay with me. As I said in my previous post, if this was my livelihood I'd probably be a little more likely to bend rules here and there but I'm fortunate enough to not have to do that. I'm in IT by trade, where things are cut and dry and something either works or it doesn't. I could never be in a customer service or sales role full-time because I don't have it in me to beat around the bush with people.

Post Thanks / Like

a 20.00 tip someone liked the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Since you directly quoted a couple things I said, I'll go ahead and respond:

1) I disagree with you about Groupon. I think it's a perfectly viable service for many people, but it puts you in a category with other types of detailers some business owners(including myself) may not want to be associated with. There is only one detailer in my area that has ever used Groupon that I would recommend. I watch every day for the detailing deals and I always see who does them - I have personally been referred customers who were unhappy with the service they got from the Groupon guys. So again, this is a choice and you'll hear both sides of the fence on it.

2) You have no basis to say a thought process is way off when someone runs their shop or business different from you, especially if it's in a different climate and they are using it as a side-business like I am. Customers are not always right. There are reasonable and unreasonable demands. There always have been and there always will be. I had someone try and haggle with me on prices and I told them I run a flat rate and my process costs what it costs and they weren't happy about it. I understand perfectly well the concept and real cost of them never being a client of mine, and it's okay with me. As I said in my previous post, if this was my livelihood I'd probably be a little more likely to bend rules here and there but I'm fortunate enough to not have to do that. I'm in IT by trade, where things are cut and dry and something either works or it doesn't. I could never be in a customer service or sales role full-time because I don't have it in me to beat around the bush with people.
    1. You can disagree all you want about groupon, but it's not true. I did state you will get type of customers you wouldn't normally want, but to think that is the majority of ones you will get is wrong. People don't run those type of promotions because business is banging and they are book full. Normally it is to get the people in the door so you can show them why they should come back and pay full price. One of my clients owns a high end spa that charges about $125 an hour for the services. She now has 3 locations with a total of 100 employees and brings in 10 mil a year. She built her business on doing a Groupons and Living Social every year, one in the spring and one around Christmas. Just because you haven't made something work, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

2. You are correct. My comments were made as specifics, and not as a general rule. Your situation is different as it is not your main source of income. That would be like comparing how a multimillion dollar company runs their business to a one man company. Typically if you have the mindset of being ok running off customers it bleeds over to more than one off situations. Also your example is just setting the expectation. You should rarely negotiate your pricing as it devalues your client. Not closing the sale because the value is not there for your client, and the examples listed by others are not the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, my whole point is that there are some customers that are hard(read, impossible) to please, and that they seem to be in higher concentration whenever there are low prices and deals like the kind offered by Groupon and Living Social. I don't want to deal with them on any level, so I rely on word of mouth and I'm happy with that because I have a different model than a lot of professionals do.

One other anecdote - I put through a mockup on Groupon to see what it would look like and their sales rep called me every single day for over 3 months, after I told them I was no longer interested. That tells me just about all I need to know.

It especially irked me that you said something about people in here "talking a big game" just because we explained how we would personally handle a situation like that. You don't know any of us and you come across as extremely condescending whenever you say stuff like that and the way you're phrasing things like "running off customers" and "can't close a sale" and:
    Money should be the result of the work you put in, not the goal you set out with.
    I'm not sure if your intention is to just try and make it look like you're a business-guru or something, but I'm not interested in discussing anything further with you. Good luck in whatever it is you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Greg, my whole point is that there are some customers that are hard(read, impossible) to please, and that they seem to be in higher concentration whenever there are low prices and deals like the kind offered by Groupon and Living Social. I don't want to deal with them on any level, so I rely on word of mouth and I'm happy with that because I have a different model than a lot of professionals do.

One other anecdote - I put through a mockup on Groupon to see what it would look like and their sales rep called me every single day for over 3 months, after I told them I was no longer interested. That tells me just about all I need to know.

It especially irked me that you said something about people in here "talking a big game" just because we explained how we would personally handle a situation like that. You don't know any of us and you come across as extremely condescending whenever you say stuff like that and the way you're phrasing things like "running off customers" and "can't close a sale" and: I'm not sure if your intention is to just try and make it look like you're a business-guru or something, but I'm not interested in discussing anything further with you. Good luck in whatever it is you do.
    Fair enough. Wasn't trying to offend anyone specific. My comments were directed at the "pound sand" "take a hike" type comments.

You will always have customers you have to let walk, but to many times people speak in absolutes when that is not the case.

Mentality is extremely important in a career setting, and even more so, when you are self employed. The last item you quoted that you said you have an issue with about money is extremely important, but not what people always want to hear.

And I doubt that you or anyone else cares, but I am an accredited small business consultant that co owns his own firm.

Once again, not trying to offend anyone, but people come here for advice on how to run a business, and from my experience, most small business fail not because of what they do, but many other areas like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123