autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting paid from clients

It's gets easier as your skills improve and you get more efficient, I don't feel guilty anymore cause I have skill and knowledge I feel are good enough to get paid for💰

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Some cars paint are just a wreck and the best way to solve the issue is getting a whole new 5k paint job! I tell my customers. I don't fix dents and do auto body repair. I don't fix and repair rust spots. I don't put back paint that is gone off the car. I am not painting their car. I stress this to all my customers and make sure the expectations are realistic.

You can polish a turd but at the end of the day, its still a turd.
    I let them know that I am great at what I do, but...I am not a magician. I'm cleaning it, not magically changing it back into a brand new car.

A lot of my clients say stuff like "Geez, it looks better than brand new!!" and in many cases it does, but...none of them really are. A scratch is a scratch and if they want that repaired it needs to be done by a qualified technician... Is that me? Well, how much do you want to spend, and how quick do you want it back? If you're in a great big hurry that you need this done in less than a day or 2, perhaps you'd take it to a body shop and wait a week or 2...

Of course I say all of this with a respectful attitude.

100% clear communication up front.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to feel that way. I agree with calendyr's point and have settled into my "hourly rate" mindset i.e. I do what the client asked for within the time frame i estimated it to take. Bam...that's the price charged and i don't feel the least bit guilty anymore.

Trust me, i totally get what you were saying though!

Post Thanks / Like

I think its like any awkward human interaction, it just takes doing it a few or bunch times depending on the person to become comfortable doing it. Imagine if every time you got paid from work you had to go in and ask for your pay check it would be awkward at first then it just becomes normal. Or like firing someone from a job most people are terrified of doing that, but after you do it 4-5 times it isnt all that bad you realize there is a reason they are being let got and it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is that I cant just say " that's good enough, that's all they're paying for"...I end up spending TOO much time for what I'm being paid for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    My problem is that I cant just say " that's good enough, that's all they're paying for"...I end up spending TOO much time for what I'm being paid for.
    We are our hardest critic! 😃

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    We are our hardest critic! 😃
    I believe that sums it up for us noobs to the biz & probably some veterans to. I know I want to put out my best work, regardless of price, and here lies the problem. An understanding needs to be had of what is possible and what is the budget. It's really a hard pill to swallow when you realize for a few extra bills you can do magic. An agreeable expectation will make things a whole lot easier, yes, easier said than done. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, there are times when I too feel guilty. Since I don't make a living by detailing, the moment it's time to get paid can at times be both rewarding and awkward at the same time. Throw in a great tip, and yeah, the guilt factor can be there...

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good points here. As usual with this forum!!!

I am definitely one of the people who think "Man I should have done XYZ cause they are going to see it after they leave and not want to come back to me" Usually its little things that they most likely will never see but to me it stands out like a sore thumb
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    absolutely set expectations! This is a great time to upsell services such as stain removal and headlight restos. Most importantly is to NOT sell your work as a "full detail". This will get you in a bad spot real quick with customers. I wrote a blog on this a few weeks ago...Firehouse Mobile Auto Detailing
    Love the info on your site! I read the blog and your services page, got a couple ideas for my own now. Thanks.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast