autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buisness name thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect_Image View Post
    Lol it does matter to an extent like he said brick detailing does give a good perception of the business. Actually like something with mint now lol
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

D.S. Detailing of West Florida. Cape Detailing. West Florida Automotive Detailing. LCM Detailing (for the countries you wish to operate). Gulf Coast Detailing.

All I could think off the top of my head. I have always assumed that adding a name in your business is helpful for being found. Look at car dealerships, especialy luxury car dealers, BMW of Fort Myers, BMW of Naples, Mercedes Benz of Fort Myers. They use a simple name and the location. To me it sounds more professional and it makes you seem larger than you actually are.

I'm assuming it is just you and you have no employees, so if you hear Derrick's Detailing, you automatically think small and independent. Where as like West Florida Auto Detailing, you sound bigger, more powerful and more official.

But that is just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked to see which domain names are available?

I wouldn't choose a name that didn't at least have a .biz available. Preferably a .com for easier listings on Google maps, yelp, etc.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Think carefully about whether any of your options could have a negative association. While Nu Image might sound good, it could be associated with Nu Finish. There is also the possiblity that Nu Finish could come after you for using their name. (My dad had an issue with Toys R Us for his name including the "R Us" even though it was not anywhere near the same industry.) While you might not lose the name it could cause you some headaches and cost you in attorney fees to fight it.

It is also worth considering how it sounds when spoken. When you answer your phone or say the name of your business will people understand it or are you going to have to repeat it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    It's called Exact Match Domain.

It's not as powerful and relevant as it once was 3 years ago.

Don't worry about that

A name seriously doesn't matter.

Apple
    Facebook
    Moz
    Uber
    Slack
    Airbnb

None of the names mattered into they built something that made it meaningful.

The only times it really matters is when you have over 50,000 unique visitors to your site per month and you A/B test different variations of your domain/business name.

Take Mint.com (original domain was MyMint.com) for example. After testing with Mint.com and MyMint.com, they saw that users gave more trust to Mint.com (which would increase their email opt-ins, registration, revenue, etc...).

At the time, Mint.com was already taken by another website. So MyMint.com payed a low 6-figures to buy it out (it goes into more detail but you get the point.)

So in this instance, the name mattered a lot because in less than 2 years, Mint.com was acquired by Intuit for $170 million bucks.

So again, the name doesn't really matter for a local detailer

That doesn't mean pick whatever name.. Just don't spend more than a day on this.
    The point you are trying to make are not proven by the examples you give. Each one of those names is very unique. What most in here are saying is stay away from the overused unoriginal names, and not that the names do not matter.

You are also comparing these giants to a local detailer like they have the same business model and points of emphasis. When you are searching online, which I assume is where a large amount of business starting out is, the name is the first thing the potential customer sees, along with ALL the other local competitors. If you have something that stands out, that might mean yours is the first to be clicked on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGreg View Post
    The point you are trying to make are not proven by the examples you give. Each one of those names is very unique. What most in here are saying is stay away from the overused unoriginal names, and not that the names do not matter.

You are also comparing these giants to a local detailer like they have the same business model and points of emphasis. When you are searching online, which I assume is where a large amount of business starting out is, the name is the first thing the potential customer sees, along with ALL the other local competitors. If you have something that stands out, that might mean yours is the first to be clicked on.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I wish we could negative rep people on here

Post Thanks / Like

If you have something that stands out, that might mean yours is the first to be clicked on.
    Crummy Car Cleaners

Polish Your Turd

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only replying for future members who end up on this page and are caught up on their name.

Your name will make up 0.0001% of your business.

What most in here are saying is stay away from the overused unoriginal names, and not that the names do not matter.
    Stevens Detailing
    North West Auto Salon
    Lucci Elite Detail
    High End Detail
    Wet Detail
    Metropolitan Detail
    Superior Shine
    Luxe Auto Spa
    Impressions Auto Salon

These are top guys around the US.. is there anything unique?

You are also comparing these giants to a local detailer like they have the same business model and points of emphasis.
    The reason I pointed out these giants because they have the traffic volume to test and see if changing a few words around makes a difference.

Every local detailer will have less than 1000 unique visits a month.. SaaS or ecommerce businesses can get more than 1,000,000 unique visits per month.

If you change your button color from blue to yellow it will have zeerrooo changes.

If a SaaS site is getting over 1,000,000 visits a month and they change their button color from yellow to red, they may get a 1.5% increase/decrease in conversions.

Doesn't sound like a lot, right? Well 1.5% of 1,000,000 is 150,000.

So now they either will have 150,000 increase/decrease in conversions. Pretty big deal, right?

At a local scale, none of that matters. Colors, logos, names, etc.. do not matter.

I'm not saying choose something crazy and foolish.. just don't get all eaten up over these small things that won't make a difference.

When you are searching online, which I assume is where a large amount of business starting out is, the name is the first thing the potential customer sees, along with ALL the other local competitors. If you have something that stands out, that might mean yours is the first to be clicked on.
    Let's start off with "a large amount of business". Most cities in the US will not get more than 3000 searches a month for local detailing related services.

Since people are looking for a local service and also assuming it's a "high volume" keyword, you will either have the local 7-pack or a single top result followed by the local pack.

Now, there's no real solid hardcore numbers on the web, but Marketing Land said the first 5 results on page one get 67% of the clicks (these numbers will quickly change because of the AdWords being displayed since most local searches have commercial intent).

So now you have ~2000 people clicking on the first 5 results. Then you have to convert those visitors into customers. So for every 100 visitors to your site, 2 people decide to give you a call.

With a conversion rate of 2%, you'll need need 500 visitors to your site to receive 10 phone calls.

(I know the math doesn't make sense here but go along. Let's keep it simple)

From those phone calls, you need to close the deal on as many as you can (which is another world on itself). Let's assume (again) your close rate is 50%.. Out of 10 phone calls, you close 5 people. So now you have 5 customers. Congrats!

Of course, that's in a perfect world where you know what you're doing.

And before any of that, how do you even get on the first page of Google (let alone the first 5 results)? Gaining backlinks, local citations, on-page optimization, targeted keywords, etc..

Then you have to take into consideration the copy you use in the site tile tag (what's displayed in the search results). Since Google only allows ~60 characters, you have to catch their attention through that.

Then let's assume (again) they click on your page and they land on your page. If your copy is self-centric, you're also going to have a large drop off.

Then let's assume (again) that they click around and like what you have but aren't ready to buy so they click away. Whoops, look at that, you didn't collect their email. Guess you'll never see them again.

How about we assume (again) that you collect their email address and send an email every week. Oh crap, your copy sucks, design is horrible, boom.. they unsubscribe and you never see them again.

I can keep on going..

This is why detailers stay a one man shop and don't go for bigger goals. They're stuck on the small things.

Here is what you should obsess over:
    - search engine optimization
    - copywriting
    - facebook ads
    - referral system
    - google adwords
    - sales
    - email marketing
    - a little bit of conversion rate optimization
    - building an email list
    - hiring
    - retargeting
    - autoresponder
    - automation
    - customer acquisition cost, churn, retention, etc

I'm not trying to sound like a smarty

I just want people to grasp the concept that local level services suck at marketing.

You guys can dominate your market and make real money if you cared about the things that really moved the needle forward.

/rant

Post Thanks / Like

Um ya, I understand what you are saying. I realize all of that is important, but your "Brand" is what sales you. I assume, you have some sort of back ground in digital footprint, but there is not a marketing expert out there that will say your brand does not matter. Your name and logo are the cornerstones of your brand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast