autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Advice on Equipment for Strartup

Hey there everyone,
    New to autogeek and getting ready to venture into a new business. Wanted to get everyone's input on the following ideas and equipment.

1. I am looking at full size cargo van and was planning on wrapping it.
    2. I was also looking at the vapor rino and wondering if that can fully replace a pressure washer and a steamer for inside or if I need to plan on having all of the above to do an effective job.
    3. Any suggestions on extractors that are somewhat affordable without sacrificing performance?
    4. On a Generator, are there any viable options besides Honda that anyone has had good luck with.

Thanks again in advance for any input and advice.
    Dusty

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Advice on Equipment for Strartup

What is your budget and what are you trying to accomplish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drd3443 View Post
    Hey there everyone,
    New to autogeek and getting ready to venture into a new business. Wanted to get everyone's input on the following ideas and equipment.

1. I am looking at full size cargo van and was planning on wrapping it.
    2. I was also looking at the vapor rino and wondering if that can fully replace a pressure washer and a steamer for inside or if I need to plan on having all of the above to do an effective job.
    3. Any suggestions on extractors that are somewhat affordable without sacrificing performance?
    4. On a Generator, are there any viable options besides Honda that anyone has had good luck with.

Thanks again in advance for any input and advice.
    Dusty
    I saw the vapor rhino and my problem was that I could not get evidence of it's use in waterless washing, exterior, etc. I really don't think you can *full* replace a pressure washer. If you wanted to really take a stab at something that *looks* like it can really steam, extract, and do cleaner injection, look at the Dupray Carmen.

As for extractor depending on what way you go, the Carmen is a steam based extractor. If you went the classic route with pressure washer, etc its hard to beat the Mytee for affordable quality heated extraction.

Generators are one of those tools I think that need care. I've seen several people run with "lesser" brands fine in areas much more taxing than car detailing. Consumer Reports actually rated the Harbor Freight 7000W generator up there with models much more expensive than it. Again it depends on what you're running.

It all comes down to are you focusing on water-less technologies such as steaming and rinseless wash?

Are you doing pressure washing?

A lot depends on what you want this to be.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My Budget is probably about 4 to 5 thousand, I have a van already so that is not included in that. My Goal is to move into a higher end Mobile detailing, however I have a long way to go to get to that. I have limited knowledge of the things i want to get into but have done basic detailing for years for other people. I am looking to go to the boot camp that is offered from Autogeek in order to get trained on things that will put me a step above the competition, but for the first few months I want the ability to do the standard wash,wax, clay, headlight resto, interior shampoo, things like that with the ultimate goal of doing it all. I am trying to take it slow but I don't want to buy things that down the road will have to be upgraded to go to the next level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drd3443 View Post
    My Budget is probably about 4 to 5 thousand, I have a van already so that is not included in that. My Goal is to move into a higher end Mobile detailing, however I have a long way to go to get to that. I have limited knowledge of the things i want to get into but have done basic detailing for years for other people. I am looking to go to the boot camp that is offered from Autogeek in order to get trained on things that will put me a step above the competition, but for the first few months I want the ability to do the standard wash,wax, clay, headlight resto, interior shampoo, things like that with the ultimate goal of doing it all. I am trying to take it slow but I don't want to buy things that down the road will have to be upgraded to go to the next level.
    Perfect. I'm glad you have a well thought out plan. I would write out a real budget. Get the cash together and make it work. I would buy the Honda EU2000i Generator (a second can be linked together to make 4000 watts, they're quiet and also inverters) you won't be upgrading the unit down the road to something better. There is $1000 new, maybe $600-800 used?

Dupray Tosca Steamer $1000

Optimum No Rinse
    Optimum Car Wax
    Optimum Opti-Seal
    Clay
    Microfiber Towels
    Brushes
    Optimum Ferrex
    Meguiars APC or DP APC + looks very good or Ultima Inteior Gel
    Meguiars Super Degreaser

You have plenty of money to make this happen, I just think you need to write it out on paper so you can see what is happening.

Make a plan, then keep following through.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    Perfect. I'm glad you have a well thought out plan. I would write out a real budget. Get the cash together and make it work. I would buy the Honda EU2000i Generator (a second can be linked together to make 4000 watts, they're quiet and also inverters) you won't be upgrading the unit down the road to something better. There is $1000 new, maybe $600-800 used?

Optimum No Rinse
    Optimum Car Wax
    Optimum Opti-Seal
    Clay
    Microfiber Towels
    Brushes
    Optimum Ferrex
    Meguiars APC or DP APC + looks very good or Ultima Inteior Gel
    Meguiars Super Degreaser

You have plenty of money to make this happen, I just think you need to write it out on paper so you can see what is happening.

Make a plan, then keep following through.
    Hello Scott, I noticed you didn't include an extractor in that list. What extractor do you recommend? I want something reliable that will get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

For a heated extractor, has to be the Mytee Lite for the price.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Occidere View Post
    Hello Scott, I noticed you didn't include an extractor in that list. What extractor do you recommend? I want something reliable that will get the job done.
    I don't have an extractor. They all seems to be temperamental and are expensive/time consuming to fix.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an extractor. They all seems to be temperamental and are expensive/time consuming to fix.
    Thanks for a quick reply

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, I've been seriously considering this steamer instead of an extractor for carpets and upholstery. What is your process for cleaning the average carpet with this unit? (sorry for getting a little off-topic)