autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I need to get the city involved?

Well I called the city and asked if my area for my small home based business ( residential area from inside my garage within city limits) would be ok. They said I would need to submit a variance ( ? If I heard her right) which is harder to get accepted and will cost me $500 in fees.

She said if it gets accepted I can start the next day but if I get denied I'm out $500. I'm almost thinking do I really need to go through all this just for weekend detailing? Not like I'm having 20 customers sitting at my house everyday. Almost debating wither I want to go ahead and start my shop or just drop it lol

2005 Pontiac GTO - the Carnauba Effect auto detailing

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I need to get the city involved?

Sounds like they are hooking you with keeping the $500. Better to get variance than get caught and pay fines and possible more.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

You know, you try to do things the right way and they make it so hard on you that it is not worth the hassle. Then in your case, if you apply and get denied, you'll have a much harder time operating as they might watch you for activity.

If I were you I would have never contacted the city.

I've done auto body repair and paint work out of my garage (in a residential area) for years and have never had an issue.

I can't imagine you would have any problems simply detailing cars.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess hey will never check. The other thing is when and if they do check...you are washing your cousins car. IMO I would forgetaboutit. Do not open Pandora's Box.

So if I were you just drop it and do what you were originally doing without getting them involved....
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not sure why you felt the need to contact them if you are simply doing something inside your garage (although I applaud your desire to do the right thing). It would be different if you were putting out a shingle, or had a bunch of cars parked in the driveway.

On the other hand, be careful now about how you advertise, etc., since you are possibly on someone's radar now.

So back to the variance--what is that for? That must mean you are in an area not zoned for mixed use, which would mean you'll never get a variance. Of course what do I know about Indiana. If you were pretty sure you would get the variance I agree with the other post above that it would be worth it to be above board.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't pay them a dime!
    They take your money either way?
    MOVE! lol

Just work in your garage, don't upset your neighbors and you should be fine.

But on the other hand, are their any penalties if you get caught?
    Probably not, just a warning. Then apply for the variance BUT Then you'll have the info to support your variance ie: "I've been doing this for 5 months and no one has complained"

That's pretty much all you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Look into a permit for mobile detailing business permit.

Post Thanks / Like

Check your city's zoning map to verify your zoning district. Then review the zoning ordinance specific to your zoning (probably something like R-1). Look specifically for 'home occupation'. This is usually found in the zoning ordinance but may be found elsewhere in the city code.

The ordinance should be very clear about if home occupation is allowed or if a conditional use permit is required and what constitutes home occupation. In most cases it's does require a basic permit, but $500 is ridiculous, should be more like $50.

If you are still having issues with the permitting folks, talk to the economic development staff, they may be able to pave the way for you
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

^ there's a guy who knows what he's talking about!

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the board of zoning appeals for my town. I've also gone through this is process successfully, prior to being on the board.

You need a plan and you need to talk to your neighbors because they bought their home thinking they would be living next to a residence not a business, it's selfish otherwise, regardless of doing business legally. If your neighbors have no issues and it makes sense from the towns point of view (safety, values, the communities thoughts, etc) then you'll be approved for the variance, if not you won't be.

It's not that the city doesn't want your business to exist, it just wants to make sure that the COMMUNITY is okay with it, since originally the community's intent was residential.

The $500 is to make sure the people who are applying are serious and have done their homework, not because they city is making bank from it. From what I've seen the $500 isn't unreasonable for the paperwork and back end on this stuff depending on the laws.

I also get to have a sign in my yard due to the re-zoning...the $400 I spent on the appeal is a fraction of the amount of business my sign generates me from road traffic, let alone customers being able to find my house out of the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast