autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing: Small Pickup vs Cargo Van

Once I decide to pull the trigger to purchase a vehicle for mobile detailing Spring 2016, I'm going to have to make a good purchase based upon my needs.

I will at times, daily-drive it to my 9-5 job. I commute 80-miles a day to/from work so MPG would be important in my choice. My vehicle will have my detail logo & information on it so I'll be advertising (moving billboard) my business just driving to/from my 9-5 job.

The ability to construct a solid rig that will get the job done effectively is obviously also a concern. I've seen guys make rigs out of pickups and guys make them out of cargo vans.

Price range would be $5,000 max for the vehicle itself.

Small pickups being Chevy S-10, Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, Ford, Ford F-150, etc. etc. in the early 2000's to late 1990's.

Cargo vans, they're all pretty much the same lol. Would be looking at early 2000's to late 1990's vans as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing: Small Pickup vs Cargo Van

After the unfortunate loss of my trailer, I'm going to go the pickup route. I already have a F150 w/ a6.5 ft bed on it. Going to pick a canopy and build a custom slide out unit that i would be able to slide right out of the bed and onto stands in the garage. With the exception of a water tank, I can remove everything to prevent theft and reduce weight for better mileage. If I had to buy a truck I would look at Rangers with the 3.0 V6 - bulletproof engines, good on gas too....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    After the unfortunate loss of my trailer, I'm going to go the pickup route. I already have a F150 w/ a6.5 ft bed on it. Going to pick a canopy and build a custom slide out unit that i would be able to slide right out of the bed and onto stands in the garage. With the exception of a water tank, I can remove everything to prevent theft and reduce weight for better mileage. If I had to buy a truck I would look at Rangers with the 3.0 V6 - bulletproof engines, good on gas too....
    Aha, so we have a vote for the pickup.

I'm personally leaning towards the pick up as well but I'm completely open-minded to the idea of the cargo van and perhaps other suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

sub Im on the same boat lol

Post Thanks / Like

Pickup
    Like my page on facebook ill like back - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian...668?fref=photo

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys have pictures and/or write ups/logs of pickup-based detailing rigs?

Looking for ideas & inspiration.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You want a van unless you'll be using the vehicle for something else. The smallest sized truck I would go with, without using a cap would be an f-150. I just bought a 2009 F150 Crew Cab for the same thing. I needed the truck functions outside of the business once in awhile, but the BEST use of your money is on a mobile van, if it's only for detailing.

For my F-150 I'm going to be using a 70-100 gallon low profile water tank, (2) 2000 Honda Inventers, small kranzle electric PW and any other large bulk equipment in the bed of the trunk under the tonneau cover. Behind the front seats of the truck is ~60 cubic feet of storage. I can fit 9-10 70+ gallon containers modularly stored in the back to maximize space. It's going to be a good setup for mobile and being able to remove the stuff easily to work at my garage or to use the truck as something else. If I need another mobile rig in the future it will 100% be a van, it's just easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have been mobile for about 10 years now. I've worked in Florida (where I live) and in NC when I was in the Marine Corps. I have always and will always use a truck. A few reasons:

1) it is easy to convert into a decent looking daily driver. It isn't 100% dedicated to detailing.

2) It is easier to maintain than a van (no huge roof to keep washed/waxed)

3) it has more curb appeal than a van and is cheaper to wrap if you decided to go that route.

4) It is much easier to put a rig in there because it is open and doesn't accumulate exhaust fumes.

I also build/sell mobile detailing trailers. When people ask me if I do skids, I often tell them why I prefer the trailer. I just think that a truck/trailer combo is the ultimate in economy. It allows you to use a daily driver as a work truck and still have something to take the wife and kids out to dinner with.
    Showtime Auto Detailing & Mobile Detailing Trailers
    http://detailbyshowtime.com

Post Thanks / Like

I went a little less conventional and went with an HHR Panel.

Here's the ongoing thread (it's still a work in progress, but in the limited amount of free time I have, I'm slowly improving it) http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-vehicle.html

I got the idea from another forum member, here's his thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ling-unit.html

Like I said, it's less conventional and could only be used with one passenger if you wanted (there are no rear seats) but most vans are the same. It's much better than all of those you mentioned on gas mileage, very secure since there are no windows so people can't see all of your stuff, tons of space for logos/marketing, never have restrictions on parking or maneuvering, and way more fun to drive than the others you mentioned (personal opinion of course). You could also probably pretty easily find one in your price range and most likely much newer than the years you were mentioning. I got mine (2007) for just under 7k but it had under 50,000 miles; there were many in your price range that had roughly 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

Good luck with the search, just keep your options open, you never know what might work out for you.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast