autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 Tip if You Could Start All Over?

Pretty much what the title says.

I'm getting a one-time shot to start this thing all over again (I'm moving my business from Seattle, WA to Bend, OR - 300 miles away in March) so I get to start from scratch, but with nine years of experience. I'm just curious what's the number one thing you'd do if you could start all over with the knowledge and experience you now have.

Thanks guys.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: #1 Tip if You Could Start All Over?

keep it simple. once you know what products work best for you stick with them. no need to feel like you have to have every product under the sun at your disposal. good techniques with good products equal happy customers. since you have been at this a while you have the skills and know how to attract customers, so you would need need to create and maintain customers in the new market. may sound like common sense advise but if you have a strong customer base then you have steady income .

Post Thanks / Like

Spend less than $300 starting

Only keep essential products and tools

Only offer a handful of services

Set a monthly marketing budget and double down on it every quarter

Be a master at Facebook ads and Infusionsoft

Create multiple sales funnels on automation

If it's done twice, it should have a system
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with the basic products that you know work. Eliminate 80% of your inventory. Buy in bulk and stay away from the boutique crap. Work easier (hydro2 vs conventional wax or sealants) and faster. Be good with interiors and they will come back every time.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

flatstick, silverfox and thebamboo23 all offer very sound advice. I have narrowed my correcting/polishing/sealant products down to 2 brand types. My drawback is carnauba waxes...I am addicted to a whole bunch of them...PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THAT ADVICE!! I have about 15 to 20 of them....DO NOT be a Beavis like me on that one....LOL

I have 3 machine tools and that is all I will ever need. My Flex 3401, PC7424XP and my Flex PE-8 Kompakt. All have the various backing plates and pads. The 3401would be the workhorse, the PC would be for the minor/waxing and the PE-8 for the finesse as well as waxing. I recently used the PE-8 and all I can say is WOW!!!

But that is me. The other 3 threads are great advice. I agree...keep it simple.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with what's been offered so far...keep it simple and market your butt off!

The only thing i personally would've done better is to stick to firm pricing. I have yielded to giving a friend or two a "break" on my price every now and then and kick myself every time. Stand firm on what you charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Great replies!

Looking at it from an amateur's/hobbyist's/part-timer's point of view, it would be quite the same; if we needed to move, most of what we own wouldn't be coming with us. I have a ton of product I simply look at every time I go into the garage, gimmicky tools and supplies that don't really fill too many needs.

Fans of cooking guru Alton Brown have a mantra that is something like, "No unitaskers," meaning don't buy something that doesn't serve multiple purposes. Other than LSPs, products and tools should do double-duty or more. Concentrates that can be diluted by the user to various strengths for various purposes are what I'd invest in: D101, Hyper Dressing, Super Degreaser. Settle on one "utility" towel type and one or two buffing/product removal towel types that can also serve several purposes. While I only have a one-liter bottle of Hydro2 and have yet to use it, I can see that in a moderate- to high-turnover operation, buying it in bulk and using it for multiple purposes could work out to be very cost-effective and labor-efficient.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Puckman. The only people who get a price break are immediate family and my very closest friends.
    Francesco

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

He has 9 years of Detailing experience

He doesn't need advice on products!

The issue is starting up quickly and smoothly in a new city

Join a gym and talk to everyone in it. Have shirts w logo printed and wear one to the gym everyday

Establish a 10 foot rule in your head. Anyone who gets within 10' of you should know who you are and that you are a Professional Detailer

Maximize your networking. Reach out to everyone you know and let them know about the relo. Utilize Linkedin and Facebook to re-connect with anyone you may know in the new territory. Offer $10 off any service if the Customer posts a picture you provide of them with the clean car on their Facebook page.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a few license plate covers made up with your name/logo, number and web presence details, perfect for those pictures.
    Francesco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast