autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #1 Tip if You Could Start All Over?

I get what you're saying. I've followed a lot of "do as I say" advice through the years, but have altered process and procedures once I actually got to work -- whether that's auto detailing or mechanics or cooking or home repairs. But as Kyle pointed out, the OP knows what he's doing around cars.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Then again, I won't use Deep Woods Off! on car surfaces...
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Starting over I would invest heavily into my physical health. High volume interior cleanings and carpet extracting, vacuuming has destroyed my lower back because I had poor back/core/leg strength to begin with and I failed to notice improper form during the process of cleaning because it wasn't hurting until it was too late. Build up a strong body and take note of your form while you detail and you'll be the one still standing at the end of a long day's work.

Post Thanks / Like

Jarred,
    Sorry if my post comes across as somewhat pessimistic, particularly as you are Pumping yourself up for the move, but I'm just trying to be a bit of a realist here.

You are moving from Seattle with a population of 650K to a city of 80K, also you're on the Eastside now where folks with Big Money & fancy cars reside. The Median family income for Kirkland is $84k and it's $52K for Bend.
    Just consider the fact that you're moving from a richer more populated city to a less populated one with less income.
    How would that affect your particular Business?
    I don't know but Some Due diligence should be in the works, just drive down there and stay for a few days and see what type of cars folks drive and get a feeling if they'd pay what you expect for your services.
    There is a Forum member on here from New Mexico (sorry forgot the name), who posts that folks in his town wouldn't pay much for his type of work.
    Not saying it'll be the same for you, but That is what you need to find out about your intended destination.

Again sorry about how it sounds, but I'm of a mentality that "it's best to measure twice and cut once".

Best of Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    Don't listen to people who haven't done what they are talking about. Lots of Parroting information without checking facts or testing the idea.
    Was there specific advice that you're referring to, or just in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Starting over I would invest heavily into my physical health. High volume interior cleanings and carpet extracting, vacuuming has destroyed my lower back because I had poor back/core/leg strength to begin with and I failed to notice improper form during the process of cleaning because it wasn't hurting until it was too late. Build up a strong body and take note of your form while you detail and you'll be the one still standing at the end of a long day's work.
    Good advice, I feel pretty healthy and in shape, so not too much of a concern for me personally, but great advice for soneone just starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Guessless View Post
    Jarred,
    Sorry if my post comes across as somewhat pessimistic, particularly as you are Pumping yourself up for the move, but I'm just trying to be a bit of a realist here.

You are moving from Seattle with a population of 650K to a city of 80K, also you're on the Eastside now where folks with Big Money & fancy cars reside. The Median family income for Kirkland is $84k and it's $52K for Bend.
    Just consider the fact that you're moving from a richer more populated city to a less populated one with less income.
    How would that affect your particular Business?
    I don't know but Some Due diligence should be in the works, just drive down there and stay for a few days and see what type of cars folks drive and get a feeling if they'd pay what you expect for your services.
    There is a Forum member on here from New Mexico (sorry forgot the name), who posts that folks in his town wouldn't pay much for his type of work.
    Not saying it'll be the same for you, but That is what you need to find out about your intended destination.

Again sorry about how it sounds, but I'm of a mentality that "it's best to measure twice and cut once".

Best of Luck
    Thanks for the detailed advice Guessless, are you familiar with one of the areas (it sounds like you might live in the Seattle area, or have in the past) or did you just get numbers online? Either way, I am well versed in all of those numbers and at first glance, I can see how they might seem a little daunting. However, I have done extensive research on the area and we've visited about 5 times over the last couple years staying at least a few days to a week each time so I feel pretty knowledgable about Bend and Central Oregon.

While there are fewer people, there's also even fewer detailers, so the ratios are actually better and I believe I'll be the only full-time mobile detailer. Prices from other guys in town are pretty inline with what I charge and I'll be offering one-time discounts to new customers once I arrive to be sure that I'll be competitive. On top of this, cost of housing is much much lower so I won't have to make as much to stay "even" with my current situation.

About incomes, it is actually quite deceiving, as there is a large portion of population of Bend who are transplants from other areas and many of these come from much more expensive areas (California) and come with deep pockets, and/or are retired with deep pockets. There is quite a bit of money in Bend, from what I can tell from all my research. Trust me, I've measured more than once.

Finally, and most important, is that the move is more about the quality of life improvements that we expect for our family once we move. We are sick of the massive population, ridiculous traffic, terrible weather and inflated cost of living. We're ready for something new, smaller, dryer, and more friendly and family friendly to raise our kids with almost unlimited outdoor activities. Making the business work there as quickly as possible is the puzzle I'm continually figuring out, but not the reason for moving.

Thanks for the response though, it always helps to walk through the scenarios and reasons more and more.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post

Thanks for the detailed advice Guessless, are you familiar with one of the areas (it sounds like you might live in the Seattle area, or have in the past) or did you just get numbers online?
    Yeap, Mercer Island as of a couple of years ago.
    I tell you though Seattle compared to LA, where I used to live before, seems pretty rural and quiet. I mean no Helicopter flybys a dozen times a day, drive by shootings, traffic? Oh man...

Glad to hear you've done your research and set to go.
    Wish you & your family the best in your new hometown.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Skip buying the PC - Go straight to FLEX 3401
    Charleston, SC

FLEX 3401, PC 7424xp, HF DA I Opticoated my shower......

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    1. Skip buying the PC - Go straight to FLEX 3401
    That's Funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    That's Funny!
    I agree
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

look for deals on supplies; craigslist, amazon, AG, CG's, dollar store, and especially the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart!!! always try to save money where you can. Can I ask, is this your souce for most of your income? or is this a hobby where you want to just want to make some extra cash?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast