autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Owning coin OP washes & a profesional detailing business?

Anyone done this? Or know anyone that's done this?

I mean, they hit two markets...

1) The cheaper coin-op car bays for clients' DD's that don't really care about paying for a pricier detail and just want a quick wash. Typically just want a quick little shine...I mean after all, they wouldn't be able to point out, or care for swirls/holograms/etchings/etc that we detailers see in the paint. The lower-end Chevy's, Fords, Toyotas, etc. etc. and people not looking for a high end detail, but just want their car washed would come through here.
    Read that these run from $300,000-$500,000 with some even going upwards of $1,000,000.

Fixed Profesional Detailing

Mobile Profesional Detailing
    2) The more "professional", expensive, luxurious details for clients that want to pay $100-ish for a basic "wash & wax" and sometimes looking for 1, 2 and 3 step correction processes with the bill racking up over $500. The jobs that we detailers enjoy doing. These clients are a little more picky and some may or may not be able to spot the swirls/holograms/etchings/etc in the paint. They're looking for the higher end car wash. The BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Porsches, Ferarris, "Garage Queen" cars, etc. etc. would come through here more or you would be going to their house if you're professional mobile detailer.
    The startup for these are low compared to the coin-ops. $20,000 would get you a very well-build detailing rig if you're mobile. I'm not positive on the $$$$ it would take to open/run a fixed location, but I'd imagine far less than it would a coin-op place.

What could go wrong from this?

Would you have similar sounding names?

ie...
    Mike's Quick Wash : Mike's Professional Detailing
    Mike's Simple Shine Solution : Mike's Luxury Detailing

Or would you have names that you wouldn't be able to link the two together?

ie
    Quick Wash : Mike's Profesional Detailing
    Simple Shine Solution : Mike's Luxury Detailing

Would you have flyers/advertisements at each location advertising the other location?

Ie at the coin-op place, "If you're looking for a more in-depth and intricate cleanse of your vehicle, visit Mike's Professional Detailing for spectacular professional detailing services."
    Ie at the professional place, "If you're looking for a quick wash and you don't have a lot of cash or time to spare for a professional detail, head over to Mike's Quick Wash to shine your vehicle right on up!"

^^me personally I wouldn't have a flyer telling my professional detail clients to go to the coin-op car washes because I know how harmful the brushes are to the car's paint lol. However, given I was in this circumstance with owning both a coin-op and a professional detailing business, I WOULD have a flyer suggesting my "coin-op clients" to check out the upgraded "professional detailing service" that I have to offer.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Owning coin OP washes & a profesional detailing business?

There are some in Los Angeles that offer all three options

"Detailing"

Hand Wash

Coin-OP

Post Thanks / Like

there is one place by me that has two DIY bays, a touchless bay and then behind that, totally visible to anyone using any of those bays...is a shop with full service detailing. also, PDR and glass repair. it's a low volume place for most of the year except maybe part of the summer since we are in a seasonal resort area.

now, the full service shop is not a true correction place at all. but...they could be. they just don't know about that part of the business. it's not like they are a volume place by definition, because they don't do volume, but they are a volume place in terms of the level of product they put out.

they could easily transition into a decent place that at least has the capability to do higher quality work, though.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

My Friend in San Antonio built a Car Wash

$800,000

8 Coin-op bays

1 Automatic Wash

1 employee that works all day Saturday & Sunday and comes by at night to clean up and check chemicals & changers

Owner says he is clearing $18k a month in the Summer

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually been thinking about doing this with a local coin-op that is for sale. The cost for to do what I would want, including the property and car wash, would probably be $800k-$1million. The potential revenue would be anywhere from $150K-$400K with the services I have in mind to offer. The main reason I haven't pursued this is that is takes running it full time and having very reliable partners to keep it successful/profitable, which I haven't found the right partners as of yet. You really have to do your homework and be committed to make all these options/services work, and maintain high quality. You have to evaluate the demographic in your area and the competition to know if it would be feasible in a specific area. Definitely a lot of planning required.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    there is one place by me that has two DIY bays, a touchless bay and then behind that, totally visible to anyone using any of those bays...is a shop with full service detailing. also, PDR and glass repair. it's a low volume place for most of the year except maybe part of the summer since we are in a seasonal resort area.

now, the full service shop is not a true correction place at all. but...they could be. they just don't know about that part of the business. it's not like they are a volume place by definition, because they don't do volume, but they are a volume place in terms of the level of product they put out.

they could easily transition into a decent place that at least has the capability to do higher quality work, though.
    That would be quite the setup!! Have the coin-op/wash bays out front and either behind or to the side of the coin-op/wash bays, the building that contains the professional level detailing. I could see something like that for my area.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    My Friend in San Antonio built a Car Wash

$800,000

8 Coin-op bays

1 Automatic Wash

1 employee that works all day Saturday & Sunday and comes by at night to clean up and check chemicals & changers

Owner says he is clearing $18k a month in the Summer
    That is amazing. However the population in my town is nothing compared to San Antonio. My best bet would be buying a car wash instead of building them. My city is saturated as hell with coin-op/wash bays but there are only 4-5 "detailers" in the area and none of them are mobile I believe. I'll be mobile so I'll have a step-up on them. But those coin-ops are nice to have it seems like.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran across a touchless, 4-bay spray units (w/doors, plus 2-outside units for larger vehicles.
    The unique part was that during the cold /winter months you can also feed the electric heater's with quarters.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MI Mike View Post
    I ran across a touchless, 4-bay spray units (w/doors, plus 2-outside units for larger vehicles.
    The unique part was that during the cold /winter months you can also feed the electric heater's with quarters.

Why did you not purchase it?

So from the replies thus far, it seems like it would be a good idea to own both.

Would you have both next to each other?

Or would you have them at different locations?