autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking over a detail shop...

So I am most likely going to take over a local shop that is currently a one man show, minus a receptionist. The current detailer is leaving very soon, and the until I spoke to the owner and offered to run the shop, he was either going to sell the business or shutdown the shop until he could find a detailer and move the business to his paint/body location. The business name has been in the area for over 30 years but, has changed ownership several times(to the best of my knowledge). So that said, there is a decent client list, and potential for more.
    The owner knows that I have my own mobile detailing business, and seems to not be a concern for him. So I would just have to manage the shops workload/schedule with mine to make the owner happy, and for me to not lose any of my own clients. One of the things I will talk to the owner about is possible having my clients drop-off their vehicles at the shop so that I can better manage both mine and the shops workload. One concern is how the owner will see my clients vehicles as a liability and if he would want a fee/percentage per vehicle. As far as pay goes, I would get a commission on each job(about 33%). Since I will be stepping in on such short notice and kinda doing the owner a favor, I am going to negotiate the pay along with possibly bringing in my clients. Come March the business will be moved to the owners paint/body shop and at that point I will negotiate a higher commission as well as being able to bring in my own clients. Another big benefit is that the owner stated that his shop has insurance work that I could do for additional money as well, i.e. $20 to do a quick interior for an insurance job.
    At first I thought that I could make more money on my own and it may not be worth taking the job but, with having a shop to working in year round with more room than my one car garage, that in itself got me excited. There is a lot of potential and a great relationship that I would hate to pass up. I have a lot of ideas that I see for the future with this opportunity/relationship and can't help but feel that God put this all in place for a reason. I am super excite just thinking/typing about it!
    Let me know what you guys think and any concerns you see that maybe I'm overlooking. Questions/comments please.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking over a detail shop...

I really can't tell you if it is a good choice or not. If it helps you financially and you are happy that is all that matters. The year round thing helps too. All I can say is good luck, enjoy and KICK AZZ!!! What a great way to start off the New Year!!

There may be some negative/positive feedback but we all know YOU are gonna do what YOU feel is right and that's all that matters!!

So go kick some AZZ in your business. Get so busy you need more people!! Way cool!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe, never mind. Apparently the person that wants to buy the detailing business is serious. As usual I got too excited, and spoke too soon. The potential buyer plans to try to run the detail shop with little to no knowledge of detailing, and a guy he (apparently, recently) just met that works at a dealership as a detailer. Not that it can't be done but, that scenario makes me feel that the odds are against him.
    Either way, there may still a great opportunity for since the current owner of the detail shop/business plans to have a detail shop at his new paint/body shop. So, time will tell. Regardless, I am motivated now to kick some butt, and take myself and my business to the leave it should be.
    Thanks for the support and motivation guys.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Well, maybe, never mind. Apparently the person that wants to buy the detailing business is serious. As usual I got too excited, and spoke too soon. The potential buyer plans to try to run the detail shop with little to no knowledge of detailing, and a guy he (apparently, recently) just met that works at a dealership as a detailer. Not that it can't be done but, that scenario makes me feel that the odds are against him.
    Either way, there may still a great opportunity for since the current owner of the detail shop/business plans to have a detail shop at his new paint/body shop. So, time will tell. Regardless, I am motivated now to kick some butt, and take myself and my business to the leave it should be.
    Thanks for the support and motivation guys.
    That would concern me. Dealer detailing is next to nothing and he knows nothing about the industry? Thats like a contractor not knowing what to do. It might be good, but is it stable and good is what you have to ask yourself
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Bill. The current owner and I spoke about it and neither of us feels good about it and he honestly doesn't want to sell it since talking with me. I think the owner is just looking to get the cash in hand from the sale and reduce some stress since he owns a paint/body shop and is building a new shop. That's the thing that is still very positive, is that the owner hasn't even tapped into his paint/body customers/clients as far as referring them to his detail shop. But, once he builds his new shop he will start detailing there and have plenty of potential customers. He says that even if he sells the business he still wants to do business with since he doesn't know of another detailer that can fill the shoes of his current detailer that is leaving. I will just keep hoping for the best and pray that if any of this is God's will that only the best comes from it. Tomorrow I will speak to the owner and go from there.