autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving Business Out of State

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Well, I've heard a few weeks to a couple months, but never 3-6 months before...interesting.

I agree that it can benefit anyone and everyone, but with a 10 man crew you need to generate more potential business than you do when you're solo. All the time and effort that would go into a campaign this big, will be more cost-effective for a larger business than my one man business. Plus, if it takes 3-6 months, I'm probably too late for this type of thing anyways.
    OOPS. Sorry about that.

I meant 3 to 6 months for SEO to kick in.

Capturing emails from a different zipcode can be within 2 days
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man! I have checked out most of those places over the last 6 months to a year and most of them aside from the first two and Thomas seem really low key/weekend warrior type businesses. Showroom Mobile is actually out of business now (I spoke with him and he had a great business, but lost the passion and desire), Rods is probably the biggest competition, but they kind of seem like they're more of a volume shop, and of course Thomas is great and awesome and his work speaks for itself (I'm not sure how often he comes to Bend though since he's located 3 hours away). There's also a detail shop at the Porsche dealership too that will be competition.

From my research, I feel like there is a great opportunity (amount of expendable income/nice cars/retired people needing and wanting the service vs amount of competition in the area). My biggest hurdle will be figuring out best practices to keep busy through winter months since they're colder than here in Seattle, but that's part of why we're moving in March-so that I've got time to really get that figured out.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

see your move like a start of new business, but use your experience to tailor the business plan the way you want it. keep it simple.

*just cause internet is "free" and handy , you still have to kick doors, build network and deliver results.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the detail shop at the Porsche dealership run by them or contractors who work in the dealerships shop?

If it is run by the dealership, I think you should stop by and let them know you are willing to help them out when they get too busy. I would offer to do a free detail on the vehicle of whoever is calling the shots

Maybe their detail shop is not qualified to do coatings and you can put together a proposal where the billing is done thru the dealership. They keep their cut and pay you the rest

Post Thanks / Like

3+ month Update:

It's been a little while since I posted in this thread, but figured it would be best to update it and have this thread be a little more useful for someone who might be going through a similar situation in the future.

I went ahead and did many of the things I mentioned in the first post and had my new site up and running in the new location almost two months before the move. I continued to work on it, but at least it was getting crawled by search engines (it's essentially "done" now). This was incremental in the transition as from this one thing combined with transferring over my Yelp page to the new city (not an easy task) I was able to have an entire week of work scheduled before I even made my move, which was awesome.

Once I got here, I hit the ground running. I've utilized Instagram quite effectively and gotten a few jobs through there and made some great local connections as well (both through FB/Instagram, from my site, and making connections locally in person). The first month or so I was working 4-5 days a week which was awesome and much better than I expected. Now I have been working 5-6 full pretty full days a week for the last two months averaging similar profits to what I was before leaving Seattle (roughly 6k per month). I'm currently booked up about two weeks and really trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting some sort of additional fixed location that I could increase production a little more and not be hurt as much by winter once it gets here.

I would have to say the biggest thing that helped in this transition was definitely online presence and SEO of my website. By about the beginning of the second month here, I was either 2nd or 3rd on almost all keywords when searching on Google and this has been instrumental I believe. I also got very active with following up with customers that I was getting (I'd send out a physical letter thanking them for their service and I included a $20 off coupon for them to use in the next 6 months and another one for them to give to a friend). I've already seen good results to this follow up and much better than anything I had done in the past through email.

Finally, having my mobile rig up and running with my decals definitely has helped spread the word and it's amazing how many people stop and ask questions while I'm working compared to before I had decals on it. It has already way more than paid itself off.

I'll try to do a better job of keeping this updated every so often as the business progresses in the new city and make this a resource others can use when either starting a new business or moving to a new location.
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats & you have a great looking mobile setup mate . Any pix of the interior !
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

Post Thanks / Like

That's great Jarred! Glad things are going good bro.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job! Happy to hear that everything has worked out great for you!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Congrats & you have a great looking mobile setup mate . Any pix of the interior !
    Thanks, I have some old ones from right when I bought it. I'll try to snap some new ones with my current setup and post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    That's great Jarred! Glad things are going good bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    Awesome job! Happy to hear that everything has worked out great for you!

Mike
    Thanks guys, appreciate the support! It's been a fun journey so far, and I LOVE my new town! Hope you're both doin well too.
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Thanks, I have some old ones from right when I bought it. I'll try to snap some new ones with my current setup and post them up.

Thanks guys, appreciate the support! It's been a fun journey so far, and I LOVE my new town! Hope you're both doin well too.

Thanx , it would be great .
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast