autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Making moves. Starting it up

This is my first ever post on AG, I have been a creeper and finally decided to get involved and get needed advice from the best like you guys. Sorry if you saw this posted in another area. Wasn't sure where to go.

I have had the hobby of loving anything to do with cars since the age of 5. My father was an instructor within the navy and Retired early due to injury was certified in various things from hydraulics to electronic components. Long story short, I grew up in a garage doing various tasks and havin a VERY wide knowledge base. At the age of 14, I painted my very first project car which was a crappy Chrysler Sebring. At 15, I rebuilt and swapped my motor in my daily civic and also went in on body work and painting and also got into detailing very little. Now at the age of 19, I have grown into the buisness world more due to being majored in buisness in college.
    Now I own BMW 328i that I worked my butt off for doing various jobs car/non car related. I have grown my knowledge from the years and also my supplies as home garage mechanic and detailer and have just about anything you could want in your man cave due to my father handing me hands things also.
    I have detailed over atleast 6 cars of friends and family. Not all nice vehicles,but all with drastic results and would like to step it up a notch into a real buisness. I have already gotten buisness cards constructed along with various documents for pricing, terms, and my buisness plan. With this all said, I'm always down to learn more and want advice on building my soon to be buisness. I am in the process of registering as an LLC also.
    I have read nearly all threads about starting out and advertisement but want advice directly to steer me right and help to get over my shyness.
    Here is an example of my work. The Toyota was done as a 3 step compound, polish, sealant/wax. Drastic changes for badly abused and faded paint.they just wanted it back shiny to sell. So it's not fully scratch less,no holograms. It's a very old beaten car and it still shows it.
    Sorry for such a long post, just looking for basic starting out advice. Thank you for your time.

This is all based off of wanting to be mobile. I did a job today for a coworker with my current setup in my fathers kia sorrento with a 25gal tank and everything else that's needed stored inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making moves. Starting it up-image-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making moves. Starting it up

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Well welcome to AG!! Sounds like you've got quite an education for as young as you are. If your 19 I assume your still in school? I don't do this for a living. So not sure how much help I can be. I did manage an extremely successful store for Discount Tire Co. for years. Business principles are the same in any retail business.
    Is your shyness bad enough to be an issue?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. And no it's not too bad. I've landed buisness doing various jobs with other vehicles, some being with detailing. I'm jus really lookin for the best way to get out, what places to find clients and so forth. Yes I'm a full time college student and also work part time but still have full free days along with various mornings till 3 free.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Do some research on the forum about photography

If you are doing good work, you want to be able to communicate it visually to potential customers

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Making moves. Starting it up

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Do some research on the forum about photography

If you are doing good work, you want to be able to communicate it visually to potential customers
    Definitely will look into that, all I had was my iPhone. I honestly can say I don't have many good quality pics for the work I have already done.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Renny Doyle's book on starting a home based detailing business. It covers all the bases.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Can you give us some specific questions about areas you are wanting to improve in? It is hard to give advice based off generalizations.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Can you give us some specific questions about areas you are wanting to improve in? It is hard to give advice based off generalizations.
    Really jus advertising tips or how to approach offices and other establishments about offering services. I've read a lot of advertising and gettin out there threads but just don't wanna sound unprofessional while walkin into a place and want a lil boost or advice before entering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysmobile25 View Post
    Really jus advertising tips or how to approach offices and other establishments about offering services. I've read a lot of advertising and gettin out there threads but just don't wanna sound unprofessional while walkin into a place and want a lil boost or advice before entering.
    My advice comes from being a small business owner in the automotive field. I'm in the beginning stages of detailing but have dealt with customers and trying to get accounts.
    The more you go out and hit the streets looking for jobs,the more confidence you'll get. Approaching people will become second nature over time. Have your pricing structure memorized and be able to explain how you can improve their vehicle in short simple sentences. Understand that mistakes will happen and have a positive attitude for when $hit hits the fan. Learn from your screw ups or else you'll just be spinning your wheels.

Having printed material for when you walk into the offices will help for those who are visual and need the extra boost to understand what you're offering. Have package deals/discounts in mind for multiple cars.
    Not everyone will say Yes and that's ok. Give them a flyer anyways and have them pass it on to a friend. One thing I've been doing is reading reviews of other detailers on Yelp and other review sites. I try to learn from their mistakes and implement the things that people praise them on. It brings a sense of "reality" of the situations which you can expect.
    Have fun while you're doing it and keep up your studies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast