autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealerships, contracts, pricing structure

First and foremost; long time lurker ('05 or so?), long time detailer, recent poster.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed in this section. It's genuinely helped me out and I truly appreciate it.

Now, on to business...

Dealerships... The less than 'autogeek' quality jobs, but can be real moneymakers. I'm tossing the idea around of getting into dealership business, but am weary and have some questions.

How did YOU approach a dealership about your services? How did you do your research on comparables in the area?

How is your contract structured?

Lastly, what is your pricing structure? Give me some ideas of what to expect from a dealers expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealerships, contracts, pricing structure

Hey, great questions. I have looked into working for dealerships and actually done a small amount of work with a couple really small ones, but to be honest, I always felt like they wanted a rock bottom price and wanted as much done for said price as possible. I get this, because it's a business for them too, it just didn't align with what I prefer. I also know that there are exceptions out there, but most seem to have this mindset.

The actual work isn't usually too bad, and if you need consistency, it can be beneficial, but I'd rather do the same kind of work on people's DD's and easily charge 50% more for each job.

I know there are a couple guys on here that have done work with dealerships and actually endorse it, so maybe they'll chime in with some specifics for you on contracts and pricing and all. Just make sure you do you're research before you get started so that you feel like you're getting properly compensated for the work that your doing.

Good luck with it!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking to get high volume work?

If so, you don't need to get dealership contracts.

For one, they'll let you go at any given notice.

Second, they'll haggle you on price.

If you do B2C, you'll have more control of quality / price with the same amount of volume.
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    I was wondering what price dealers are paying for a full detail? When I left the car business in 2004, we were paying $70 for a full detail
    The problem is that "full detail" has to be most overused phrase in the detail industry while also being one of the most ambiguous. Everyone has a different definition of what a "full detail" consists of. Not mention, your individual market also plays a role.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    The problem is that "full detail" has to be most overused phrase in the detail industry while also being one of the most ambiguous. Everyone has a different definition of what a "full detail" consists of. Not mention, your individual market also plays a role.
    In my opinion the dealer wants the car to look as good as possible for the least amount of money

Post Thanks / Like

My answer may or may not help you so take it for what it is.

I used to work in marketing for a larger dealer group local to me, luxury brand. When I left I used the connections I made to do some "dealer" detailing. I had business cards made up and gave them to a few sales people who I knew well, and knew only sold cars on return customer and referral basis. If they felt comfortable bringing it up to their clients they would say something along the lines of "I have a detailer who is good and takes some of my clients once they buy their car, I'll put his card in your paperwork, call him if you want a detail." It worked well, one of the guys was selling 30 or 40 cars a month and maybe 10 people a month contacted me. It was all for $250+ details though. I also knew a sales manager at a luxury dealer and he would call me and ask me to do specialty cars from time to time. I could charge a premium because the work was out of the"skill level" of the dealerships detailers.

It was not volume work, but it was steady. Think about connections you have and see if they might be interested in working with you.
    To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. " Steve Prefontaine.

Post Thanks / Like

The car dealers have two types of cars that need cleaned. One is the fresh trade in that is always filthy dirty. They also have cars that have been on the lot for awhile that need touched up or light reconditioning.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just done my first two cars for a friend of mine that sells cars for a living. Winter time is a slower time for him so I figure 1 car a month or so. We went through what things he wants done and what things he isnt interested in. If your going to do smaller dealers its best just to approach them and ASK questions about their expectations, then give them a fair price (Considering they could give you some steady business). If they say yes good, if not nothing lost and prolly a BUNCH learned.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryance39 View Post
    I also knew a sales manager at a luxury dealer and he would call me and ask me to do specialty cars from time to time. I could charge a premium because the work was out of the"skill level" of the dealerships detailers.
    This. ^^^

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter