autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Website Launched, What's Next?

So I have launched the website, as well as pages on Facebook, Google, Bing, and Yellowpages. I am thinking my next step should be to get some business cards and flyers made to distribute in my area. When you guys began marketing your business, is that the route you chose?

Also, if you have a free couple of seconds, I would appreciate any feedback on the site itself but also the pricing packages! Thanks!

Home

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website Launched, What's Next?

I am not speaking as a detailer because I only work on my own vehicles but there is no way I would do any of that work that cheap.

I don't have any feedback on exactly what you should charge, but I would make my prices a lot higher.

Your prices put you in the $35-40 an hour range, and as much equipment and product as one needs to do this work, plus insurance and the wear on your body... well damn..

I hope others can chime in with sound business advice, again I'm only speaking as someone that works on his own cars.

Post Thanks / Like

With the website first thing I noticed is when I wanted to click on a service like paint correction I was unable to do so I tried to click on fabric protector I was unable to do so.

You should make the service is a link at the bottom so that when someone wants to look at a specific service you can take them to a specific page that outlines what that service is and includes.

Are you sure you're set on this prices that you have wind out? You're working eight hours to do a complete exterior and interior and you're only making 200+ dollars a little low to me for all that you're doing.

For what to do next are you registered within your state county and local?

Do you have insurance?

What is your target market? Have you examined your local market and determine what's the best course of action for you to make money?

Have you determined how you're going to stand out amongst other detailers in the area?

What are you offering the other detailers art if you were offering the same what makes you different?

What is your business plans long and short term?

These are just some of the few things that you might want to think about that you may not have already?
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the website, social media profiles, businesses cards, etc...

Go find 3 people to pay for your services

Worry about nothing else except that
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Renny Doyle's book on starting a detailing business. Should answer most, if not all of your questions.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I'd consider looking into a logo. Ask on your Facebook if any one you know does graphic design. You can also go on fiverr.com and have a logo designed for $5 if need be.

Idk how some of you can say his prices are too low. Frankly I think that's terrible advice to someone starting out. My opinion is research your area and see what others are charging. Your area might not financially support your prices or you could be on the low end of the spectrum and then need to raise them. That's my .02 at least.

The site looks good though.

Now onto what's next.

DBA- People will want to write checks in your business name. You will need a DBA in order to open a bank account in your business name

Legal- Tax ID & City/State license.

Insurance- You will eventually need it to protect your self.

Advertisement- Flyers are a touchy subject. You can't leave them on ppls doors or cars. Super markets have cork boards as well as community centers but don't expect that to be your bread and butter. Craiglist is a hit and miss especially if there are other guys listing their services for near nothing. I put up weekly ads and in the past year I've gotten about 4 calls from it but nothing ever set up from it because they wanted the cream of the crop for drive through prices. Craiglist ppl are typically looking for the best deal possible.

Google- When ever I get a customer I ask them how they found me 99% of them say Google. Set up a Google webmaster tool for starters. Google AdWords for advertising is really helpful too.

Yelp- Yelp is a burden... Plain and simple they are scam artists and should be shut down.

Customers- Treat your customers right and they will return. Be polite prompt and professional. Set your self apart from your competitors. Do something small that they don't do. For instance I write every customer a hand written thank you letter and give them 2 10% off coupons. One for them and one of their friends.

Word of mouth is your best form of advertising. Facebook also has an advertisement tool that is pretty useful.

It's all a work in progress and don't expect things to happen over night.

Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Prices are too low because he's gonna bust his ass and kill his body and then he'll want to fold soon.

If he needs practice he can do his cars, neighbors, family and friends. No way should you ever price low and expect to make it and raise prices later.

Wait til he's got his first nightmare customer who's never happy no matter what and then has to deal with that on top of slaving away to make someone's car look good.

Rule of thumb in any self run business is you need to make $100 per hour or you'll run yourself into the ground in no time.

OP, raise your prices, the cost of doing ANY business is too high to only charge $35 per hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    Customers- Treat your customers right and they will return. Be polite prompt and professional. Set your self apart from your competitors. Do something small that they don't do. For instance I write every customer a hand written thank you letter and give them 2 10% off coupons. One for them and one of their friends.

It's all a work in progress and don't expect things to happen over night.
    Excellent advise right there.

It may not hurt to raise your prices, as they do seem a little low for what you're offering. You could possibly get more if your market allows it. Raising prices later is never fun, but it can be done. I've raised mine every 18 months or so just to keep demand in line with what I can handle, and while there are issues around it, it doesn't mean you have to start at the top. You have to make some money now in order to continue making money later; just make sure that you're making enough for you.

Good luck with it! The website is in nice a clean too, but I would agree with one other that a logo is important and put that thing on everything!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toland76 View Post
    Prices are too low because he's gonna bust his ass and kill his body and then he'll want to fold soon.

If he needs practice he can do his cars, neighbors, family and friends. No way should you ever price low and expect to make it and raise prices later.

Wait til he's got his first nightmare customer who's never happy no matter what and then has to deal with that on top of slaving away to make someone's car look good.

Rule of thumb in any self run business is you need to make $100 per hour or you'll run yourself into the ground in no time.

OP, raise your prices, the cost of doing ANY business is too high to only charge $35 per hour.
    You need to relax and keep in mind I am not stupid. This is a part-time job for me and I don't intend to do any more than 2-3 cars per week. I am not going to kill myself. I am at a disadvantage because I work out of my home and I am located slightly out of town. I have no overhead costs, so I priced the products accordingly. This is not my only source of income but rather a side thing. I have no intention of trying to lowball my prices and beat the market. That is a set up for failure, I agree.

$100.00 per hour is completely ridiculous, come on. You know nothing about me, my area, my business or my target market. While you have some points, ease up on the anger and condescension or you'll give yourself a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Excellent advise right there.

It may not hurt to raise your prices, as they do seem a little low for what you're offering. You could possibly get more if your market allows it. Raising prices later is never fun, but it can be done. I've raised mine every 18 months or so just to keep demand in line with what I can handle, and while there are issues around it, it doesn't mean you have to start at the top. You have to make some money now in order to continue making money later; just make sure that you're making enough for you.

Good luck with it! The website is in nice a clean too, but I would agree with one other that a logo is important and put that thing on everything!
    Thanks! Appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

No anger here brother I just don't see the point of doing it for that cheap. You'll see in time what I am getting at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast