autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Complimentary detail question

Hey all!

I am still trying to develop my business and detail friends cars by offering a complimentary service for starting a picture portfolio, etc.

I detailed a friends 01 Tahoe, used d151. Vehicle came out fantastic, took about 6 hours.

He referred me to his dad who has a 09 Mercedes e550 in black. I told him I could do a complimentary service. The car is in great condition, wheels dirty of course, but paint has some slight swirling.

How much time and effort should I put towards a complimentary service? The car probably needs a two stage m205 and a wax, but should I use the d151 or blackfire tpns?

I have typed up my inspection and invoice forms to be professional. And am using them for these complimentary services. How many complimentary details should I do before I start charging?

Thanks!

Stephan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complimentary detail question

You are already getting referrals based on the quality of your work, which is good. You seem to have an idea of what needs to be done to a vehicle (based on your assessment of the MB). At this point you need a couple more things IMO:

1. A comfort level talking to customers and selling
    2. An idea of your pricing and business model
    3. A portfolio to highlight your work
    4. Clients

To me, you could quickly get these things in order (getting work is always the tricky one). My only outstanding issue would be with your assessment of vehicles and if you have enough experience to know what approach will meet the needs and whether you can meet those needs profitably.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest doing the minimal amount to get the job done if its free. Detailing is very underappreciated. Nobody will notice or appreciate the extra work that you can do unless theyre paying good money.

I also suggest to start charging what you feel comfortable charging. Let this mercedes be the last freebie unless its family. Detailing is hard work. If youre good at what you do, get paid for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    I suggest doing the minimal amount to get the job done if its free. Detailing is very underappreciated. Nobody will notice or appreciate the extra work that you can do unless theyre paying good money.

I also suggest to start charging what you feel comfortable charging. Let this mercedes be the last freebie unless its family. Detailing is hard work. If youre good at what you do, get paid for it.
    This is what I was thinking. I tried to take the approach and explain the process to him, but he had kind of one of those "eh i trust you" types of responses. I suggested a headlight restoration and he said that an old man suggested to him to take Repel or Propel or something and rub it on the headlights, and "good as new"? Could not further get his interest in explaining...

Yet he said he wanted to hire an outside mobile painter to custom pain the rock chips on his car, which would cost 200-300$ but from my evaluation, there were hardly any chips, maybe 2-3 small teeny nicks, which could easily have been repaired with dr. color chip or a paint pen.

A question on another note... I know that there is an hourly rate most people charge, but On some other detailers websites, the cost from a two stage or three stage detail goes up considerably, and when divided by the hours it took, it's a much higher hourly rate. Is this normal?

Thank you
    Stephan

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the time....why not take your time and give the absolute best work you can?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    Detailing is hard work. If youre good at what you do, get paid for it.

Couldn't have said it any better! Just make sure that you're getting paid what you feel comfortable with for what you're doing - and that number should go up as you get more and more comfortable (and better). Good luck!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Well you're not getting paid.. If you take 6 hours or 16 hours, you're still giving your time/effort for free

Go all out, take a lot of photos, then start CHARGING after this detail.

I would have started charging from your friend... Even $50 would have done it.
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The past few I have done have been complimentary and/or trade services because I am trying to build my portfolio as well. Take A LOT of pictures and don't spend less time just because it is free. You offered it to be free, no one else, so at least be proud of the work and time you put into it.

I initially had a tough time taking pictures, 50/50 shots, detailed photos, etc. But after really trying to make sure I take them in the beginning, now I take well over 200+ photos each vehicle and don't even realize I'm doing it. I always thought "Wow, this takes so much extra time and I just want to finish the car". But what I really should have thought is "A simple before and after photo doesn't do any justice, in my opinion, and doesn't show the true work and art that you are completing". This is where I'm at now and when I show the customer and other peoples the photos, they always comment with "Wow, what a difference!" or "Man, you really turned that thing around".

Do your best, take your time, and don't skimp. Take lots of photos and start getting paid. Photos sell your work, it's hard to talk someone into spending $500+ on a detail without showing them a single photo and just saying "Trust me".

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the advice/tips.

Will be taking lots of photos and I think I will perform the two stage polish and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of whether you are being paid or not, ALWAYS do the best job you can. You cannot buy a reputation and good recommendations are worth their weight in gold. As for working 'pro bono', if you feel the need to, then try to up sell extras (do the exterior for free but charge for the interior etc) or at least ask a minimum amount 'to cover materials'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast