autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair price for close friends?

Some close friends of mine just got back from a trip to Colorado. They were talking about needing the car detailed, so i jumped in saying i would possibly do for $150 but want to check on prices first. I dont want to rip them off but they said they would rather have me do it since they know it will be a good job and pay me instead of some stranger. The car is a 2013 ford escape that is covered in mud and interior covered in dog hair. They want the car detailed inside and out. They mentioned they have a few scratches they got from some branches and would like removed. I looked at the scratches and they are not deep at all and can be removed with swirl remover. since they are friends i am using my top end products. I am sure i can just go over the car once with total swirl remover for all the light scratches. They run the car through automatics and are really just concerned with the big scratches. places around here charge around $170 without paint sealant and only 2 coats of wax. Higher end places using high end products charge someone around $300. A lot of these place that do jobs for$150-200 end up doing crappy work and put swirls in the paint with a top coat of glaze to cover them up. Do you think this is fair?
    1. hand wash car and wheels/ remove bugs and tar
    2. clay paint and go over car with Wolfgang swirl remover
    3. vacuum and steam and shampoo interior
    4.seal paint with klasse sealer for winter and apply 3 coats of wax, also seal plastic exterior trim
    5. steam engine covers and plastic

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fair price for close friends?

I live not too far from Chicago, in a rural-type of area in Indiana. My prices are very low, I have no overhead because I work at home. for friends cars, full interior shampoo, exterior wash and AIO wax, I would charge about $100 for an Escape, most would be $120 if mud and hair. honestly, living in Chicago, I cant believe I'm saying it on here, but $150 almost seems low. that coming from someone who is often astonished at the high prices some people can get on this site. but, as always, its all about location. $150 is very fair I think, not too high, not too low.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a more than a fair price. Personally, I don't want to touch a car for less than 150 if I'm washing, decontaminating, one-stepping, then dressing. Some won't do that for under 250. You're also doing the interior. I see that as a freebie.
    My philosophy is: family is free, and friends get 10% off (some friends are like family though).

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what i was thinking. If the inside was not covered in hair and dirt i would probably only charge $120. If it was someone i did not know, i would be charging way more. People that are like my friends will also see the job i did and tip if i deserve it. I am a detail freak and my friends know how i am with cars. Chicago has a lot of shops that charge way to much money for the job you get and it bugs me, and dont get me started on the scratch city auto washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sadler View Post
    That`s what i was thinking. If the inside was not covered in hair and dirt i would probably only charge $120. If it was someone i did not know, i would be charging way more. I am a detail freak and my friends know how i am with cars. Chicago has a lot of shops that charge way to much money for the job you get and it bugs me, and dont get me started on the scratch city auto washes.
    Sounds like a bargain....I have done the same for good friends for no charge and without exception it has been worth it for the friendship - they have all paid at least that much after seeing my work without even being asked.....friends could be more important that cash.

Post Thanks / Like

yea i would def do it cheaper if i was not having to take off a days work to do this, also the products i use are not cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

that is going to be at least 7 hours of work probably more... $150 is a really good deal.. I'd charge $150 for prob the interior only if dirty and covered in dog hair.

I'd only focus on the scratches they are concerned with and seal it up. no sense in busting your booty for $150 IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i would spend time getting the big scratches out and just go over the rest with a white pad and a few passes just to clear it up a bit. Assuming the paint is like my 2014 mustang and soft as can be. I am going to play by ear. Just wanted to get an idea if i was being a bad friend and charging to much lol.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    that is going to be at least 7 hours of work probably more... $150 is a really good deal.. I'd charge $150 for prob the interior only if dirty and covered in dog hair.

I'd only focus on the scratches they are concerned with and seal it up. no sense in busting your booty for $150 IMO.
    different ballgame when dealing with friends. go above and beyond. under-price, over-deliver. in life, when it comes down to it, all you really have is your family and friends. that friendship should be held to the highest standard, its everything. work your tail off for them, shake their hand and say Thank You. life is short.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miad View Post
    different ballgame when dealing with friends. go above and beyond. under-price, over-deliver. in life, when it comes down to it, all you really have is your family and friends. that friendship should be held to the highest standard, its everything. work your tail off for them, shake their hand and say Thank You. life is short.
    Agreed.....not to mention it could be great word of mouth for future prospects...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast