autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Mobile Detailing Vehicle Suggestions

Look at Ford Explorer

Lots of seven used ones out there in your price range

Fuel economy is OK and lower initial purchase price may help the gas math

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Look at Ford Explorer

Lots of seven used ones out there in your price range

Fuel economy is OK and lower initial purchase price may help the gas math
    I've got an older Explorer right now, and I just feel like I need something else (6 years driving the same model car is too much for me), but yes they aren't too expensive for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    This is from the OP - original poster he owns and operates an HHR and great guy to speak with see his post on the listed thread with photos
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ling-unit.html
    That looks like a great thread, gonna spend some time looking through it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonS View Post
    I had a 2008 or 09 HHR and loved it initially. I bought it for the wife and was sold on how much space for a small car. My wife like driving stick so I got a 5 spd and it averaged over 30 mpg all the time. Sadly by the time it had 40k it was starting to feel like a loose used car. I have a 96 Passat tdi wagon with 250k on it that still feels tight. I was very disappointed with the quality of construction overall. I know you don't need a van but I am shopping Florida for a mid 2000 Chrysler minivan and you can buy a lower mileage unit under 4k and have the convenience of 3 access doors and extra space. My wife now drives a Subaru legacy 2013 and we love the Subaru. My extended family has had a few and never any problems but all newer. 2011-2014. Some of the older ones you might be looking at had head gasket issues. If you can swing a newer outback that would be my first choice if you need awd. Keep us updated with your choice. If you drive a lot of miles you might consider a tdi gold 99-2003 with a 5 spd . Rear seat folds and gives a surprising amount of space and 40-50mpg. If taken care of they drive great forever.
    Great info to know, I haven't test drove one yet, but will keep this in mind. I'm currently driving a 20 yr old Explorer with all original suspension, so I doubt the drive and feel could get too much worse I do like the idea of trying to find something with a 5 spd, as that would be much preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Subaru seems doable but seems like it would be packed. I suggest a chrysler/dodge minivan with stow n go seats that fold into the floor. Lots of space and many of them have dark privacy glass so noone can see all of the stuff youll be hauling.
    The space in the Subaru would probably make it a little tight, plus I've found that in most models, the rear seats won't fold flat, which is less than ideal if they will be folded down 99.9% of the time. I just can't bring myself to a minivan, plus probably more space ( and thus less mpg) than I really need.

Currently, the one's I'm highest on are the Element, the HHR, and the Scion XB. If anyone else has info on anyone that's used either of these (or if you've used them yourself) for a mobile detailing business, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that the Element has been discontinued, the prices should be down

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with them is people love them and don't want to sell, since they cant trade in for the new model. In my area, it almost seems like it has kept prices higher.
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bit the bullet and bought a full size cargo van (A 2010 Chevrolet Express 1500 side barn doors no rear windows at all) even thought I initially wanted a Ford Transit Connect. I wanted to be prepared for anything and be completely self sustainable if need be with water, compressed air, etc, and after taking a look inside the Express it's hard to beat it in sheer interior capacity. I can load it down with a big 16 gall shop vac, 12 gallon air compressor, 120 gallon water tank, HP60 extractor, electric pressure washer, supplies, tent etc and still have room to spare. I opted for the 6 cyl in effort to save fuel cost, although fuel economy is dismal compared to that of the little Transit Connect, which I really still like a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope

Sent from my Alien ship

Post Thanks / Like

I myself use my 2009 Scion xB and 2011 Scion xD for detailing when I have to go mobile. I fit everything in both, no problem as I don't carry a water tank or generator. My xB is actually lowered 2" all the way around and the weight isn't even enough to cause any change in the driving. If I had to choose.....HHR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
    I myself use my 2009 Scion xB and 2011 Scion xD for detailing when I have to go mobile. I fit everything in both, no problem as I don't carry a water tank or generator. My xB is actually lowered 2" all the way around and the weight isn't even enough to cause any change in the driving. If I had to choose.....HHR.
    Thanks Johnny, that is exactly the kind of info I was trying to get when I started this thread, that's very helpful.....but why do you feel you'd rather the HHR?
    Dynamic Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Thanks Johnny, that is exactly the kind of info I was trying to get when I started this thread, that's very helpful.....but why do you feel you'd rather the HHR?
    I was basing my choice on the options you gave but didn't really read the part where you mention that you are open to suggestions. Personally, I like the style of these types of vehicles like the Scions I have and the HHR. The HHR in fact is available in a Panel vehicle version which also gives plenty of room for advertising. I have recently purchased a very small trailer that is big enough for a 60 gallon tank and a generator and I am more than able to pull this with these cars without being abusive to the vehicles. Apart from that, I can very easily fit what you have in mind and more except that I don't really carry a folding ladder but it would fit for sure if I did.

of course, this would all be very different if I was working big quantities of vehicle a day but that is not what I'm interested in doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
    I was basing my choice on the options you gave but didn't really read the part where you mention that you are open to suggestions. Personally, I like the style of these types of vehicles like the Scions I have and the HHR. The HHR in fact is available in a Panel vehicle version which also gives plenty of room for advertising. I have recently purchased a very small trailer that is big enough for a 60 gallon tank and a generator and I am more than able to pull this with these cars without being abusive to the vehicles. Apart from that, I can very easily fit what you have in mind and more except that I don't really carry a folding ladder but it would fit for sure if I did.

of course, this would all be very different if I was working big quantities of vehicle a day but that is not what I'm interested in doing.
    Cool, yeah, it sounds like my business is similar yours, only a couple cars a day and it's just me, that's why I've narrowed it down to the scion, HHR and element as of now. Gonna go start test driving the three of those to see which I like the feel of more.

The panel HHR does seem like the perfect little mobile detailing vehicle and it may be the leader right now. Thanks for your help! It's appreciated.
    Dynamic Detailing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast