autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Mobile Detailing Vehicle Suggestions

Hey guys, so I'm looking for a little advice on a new detailing rig. I don't need a big van, and would rather not a truck (I'd like to keep everything enclosed).

Top choices so far are a Honda Element, Chevy HHR, and Subaru Outback (like the AWD option but less space). I'm looking for something used and in the 6k-10k range and am definitely still open to other ideas if others have used similar types of vehicles.

So here are some basics on my business and needs:

Been in business about 8 years (5 of those full time - no employees) and have been using an older model Explorer. It's getting to be quite old and less dependable and it's time for an upgrade. I will be moving the business from Seattle to Bend, OR this spring and want to get it all set up with graphics and all before the move to help with brand appearance once I get there.

Most jobs are rinseless, and I'm pretty minimalist in what I need (no pressure washer, no generator, no water tank, no compressor). What I do need room for though:

Medium sized shop vac
    Smaller interior steam cleaner (vapor clean)
    5 gallon water drum
    One smaller ladder
    2 5 gallon buckets (in case I need a 2BM wash)
    5 buffers
    Three roughly 3'x2' containers with bottles and product
    A few bags and containers for MFs and all other smaller random stuff
    Couple hoses and extension cords

It all easily fits in the Explorer with room to spare, and I don't see myself needing/wanting much more as in generators/compressors/water tanks in the near future.

Thanks for any input everyone!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Mobile Detailing Vehicle Suggestions

Ford transit for the win!!!
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Xb??

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with something small like the HHR

The Transit will be nice, but like you said, you're not trying to buy everything underneath the sun
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Scion xD or maybe Kia Soul. Even a Mazda 5 (thats more mini van but a tad cooler)

Before you do the graphics I would make sure you have your new phone number...just in-case you hadn't thought about that.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the nissan nv200. If you can find a used one in that price range.
    Ultimate Custom Detailing LLC
    770-771-9837
    www.ultimatecustomdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Ford transit for the win!!!
    They look really cool, but I just don't feel I would be able to utilize all the space, if I had tanks, compressors, and generators and all, then it would probably be on the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    Xb??
    I had forgotten about the XB, thanks! I've detailed a few of them over the years and thought they would work pretty nicely as a detailing rig, anyone have any idea how reliable they are?

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    I would go with something small like the HHR
    Yeah, the HHR does seem pretty good for what I need, I'm just not a huge fan of the looks, and it will be my "personal car" as well (although the wife's car is still the "family car" and the one that gets used 95% of the time outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Scion xD or maybe Kia Soul. Even a Mazda 5 (thats more mini van but a tad cooler)

Before you do the graphics I would make sure you have your new phone number...just in-case you hadn't thought about that.
    I like the XD and Soul, but tough to find one in that price range as they are that old, the Mazda 5 might just be too close to a minivan for me to feel that comfortable in it Thanks for the reminder on the number, I had thought of it, and will be sure to get the new number before doing the graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by U.C.D.L.L.C. View Post
    Check out the nissan nv200. If you can find a used one in that price range.
    I've looked and they are a little outside of the price range, and kind of like the Ford Transit Van - probably a little too big for what I need though.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the OP - original poster he owns and operates an HHR and great guy to speak with see his post on the listed thread with photos
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ling-unit.html

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2008 or 09 HHR and loved it initially. I bought it for the wife and was sold on how much space for a small car. My wife like driving stick so I got a 5 spd and it averaged over 30 mpg all the time. Sadly by the time it had 40k it was starting to feel like a loose used car. I have a 96 Passat tdi wagon with 250k on it that still feels tight. I was very disappointed with the quality of construction overall. I know you don't need a van but I am shopping Florida for a mid 2000 Chrysler minivan and you can buy a lower mileage unit under 4k and have the convenience of 3 access doors and extra space. My wife now drives a Subaru legacy 2013 and we love the Subaru. My extended family has had a few and never any problems but all newer. 2011-2014. Some of the older ones you might be looking at had head gasket issues. If you can swing a newer outback that would be my first choice if you need awd. Keep us updated with your choice. If you drive a lot of miles you might consider a tdi gold 99-2003 with a 5 spd . Rear seat folds and gives a surprising amount of space and 40-50mpg. If taken care of they drive great forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Subaru seems doable but seems like it would be packed. I suggest a chrysler/dodge minivan with stow n go seats that fold into the floor. Lots of space and many of them have dark privacy glass so noone can see all of the stuff youll be hauling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast