autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much would you charge?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Once the car is completely washed, prepped, and ready for correction here's what I'd use.

• Flex 3401 polisher
    • Hybrid White Polishing Pads
    • Optimum Finishing Polish
    • Speed 4-5
    • Collinite 845 wax

Everything counts so be sure you address the door frames, doors, windows and trim.

For the tires and wheels I'd use Mothers Foaming Wheels and Tire Cleaner then treat them with Mothers Back to Black. Collinite 845 is a superb product to use on wheels so use it here.

Exterior Only

Time: 6-8 hours
    Price: $250
    I would go with this. If you use the damf system you are going to need to do two steps on that Lexus. The d300 with a cutting pad is going to leave it pretty hazy. If it's in his budget I would opt for 2 steps of polishing. If not just get in there with a medium polish, Menzerna pf2500 would be my choice, on a white foam pad and don't promise an absolutely flawless defect free finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not get why he wants to go to a car wash first. Personally if it were me, I would either insist that you wash it by hand prior to claying, whether he takes it to a car wash or not.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

I have plenty of D151 and some yellow CCS pads for a one step.

I just thought the MF system would work better.

What about D151 with a MF cutting pad (or finishing pad)?

I only bring this up because I already have this product. I would have to order the stuff you guy's listed. I was going to do this Saturday.

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like

When are you supposed to do this detail for him/her?
    How long do you have the car for?
    My guess is you won't have it long enough to perform a 2 step correctly (remember, I'm just guessing), and, rather, I'm thinking your better off w/ a 1 step followed w/ a sealant. I believe a 1 step plus a sealant looks significantly better than most 2 steps w/out a sealant.
    If you need a good sealant, I can send you some.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have a serious conversation with the owner of the car before you decide. How will he maintain it after the detail? If he's just going to take it to the car wash then unless you can educate him on proper wash technique, the paint will end up swirled and scratched again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's his lady friends car and I will have it all day Saturday in our warehouse (where I work). They won't pick it up until Sunday morning. He's going to lock it in the warehouse and I'm going to come in and work on it and leave it for them to pick up.

He knows how to take care of it but being her car, I don't know how she will handle it. I waxed his Mercedes a few weeks ago. He's not going to be a tough "customer". We've worked together since 1998 and we have a good friendship. He's not like most bosses. He knows I'm trying to learn and work my way into a side business so I'm sure he will be very tolerant unless I screw up and take the clear coat all off! lol

He has a side business in photography so he's already given me pointers about getting a business license and such.

He's going to bring the Lexus to work tomorrow and I'm going to do a test spot.

I may hold off a week of I need to order some product. We've already talked and he's ok with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a pc?
    I understand the point of a "test spot," but never understood why anyone who says to do a test spot does not recognize a "test spot" automatically happens anyways. Who says after starting a paint correction,"well that pad and polish didn't work out so well on this spot, but I think I'll finish the car this way."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be using a GG DA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver5882 View Post
    I would have a serious conversation with the owner of the car before you decide. How will he maintain it after the detail? If he's just going to take it to the car wash then unless you can educate him on proper wash technique, the paint will end up swirled and scratched again.

I was just about to say something similar.

I've done correction to my Blue Scion, and my g/fs red highlander. These are both made by toyota, and I thought the paint was pretty soft. Orange CCS pads with Meg's polish took out all of the swirls for me, but left RIDS. Since I dont have a paint guage, I wasnt too worried about that. Im not sure how the lexus paint compares to scion/toyota - maybe its as soft.

I would also think you probably want to wash the car by hand before starting the process - those car washes never clean as good as you will

Lastly, if the owner is taking the car to a automated wash... they're probably going to do it again. Seems like it may be something where your boss wants the car to look nice more than the owner does.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote let someone esle wash it, then just do a rinseless wash to save time.
    Time efficiency will be the most important key, I feel. No matter what pad or compound you throw at it, there will be rids and swirls here and there. I would just plan to go aggressive, and if you have time for a second go around, go for it.
    Me, I'd rather use the time for a second scrubbing of the paint by giving it to having time to accomplish other tasks, i.e. door jambs, outside weather stripping attention, polishing outside glass, polishing headlights/tail lights, extra time cleaning barrels of the wheels, dust clean-up, and last but not least, a coat of sealant or wax.
    I feel, second and third polishing steps are having diminishing returns as better, more advanced compounds are hitting the market. FG400, for example, would be an excellent choice to do a one-step on a 2010.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast