autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any friends or another area detailer you could trust to help you with this event so that you can keep up with demand during the event.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a very interesting job proposal but need serious help / input.

My advice is be conservative on what your promise and over deliver in the end. Be realistic with yourself as to what you can and cannot do. If you need help, hire someone. If that's not an option, then only take on what you can handle. Otherwise all you'll do is create ill-will and hurt your business.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good point Brian, hadn't considered that.

Billand, I don't know of anyone locally I could ask. If it helps I'm in the Hudson Valley area of New York.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

if you were closer, i would jump in and help you out

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a few opportunities like this come along and they seem like great ways to get in with potential clients. However, like you, I'm a one man show, and when I sat down and really figured the numbers, there was just no way that I could keep up with that much work. If you do it, you need to find someone else that can help you out. 22 cars is A LOT for one guy to maintain. If you get good help though, it could be awesome for you.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

it might also be worth getting some cards done for the event with something like
    "your car has been detailed for this track event by evolution auto detail"
    with your contact details on, and put them in each car as they go out towards the end of the event. do speak to the guy running the event about it first though.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a fantastic opportunity, and one I agree you wouldn't want to pass on, (IF YOU CAN FIND THE HELP). One thing that resonates that my Dad told me many many years ago (he was always self employed, from before WWII, after before he met my Mom, and up until I was in my 20's).

"Son a happy customer might not tell anyone about you, but an unhappy one will tell everyone the meet."

I kept that in mind as I ran my own business for 18 years.

The advice to evaluate the client is SPOT ON! You need to know exactly what they expect, nothing more, nothing less.

What you need to do is find AT LEAST 2 very good friends, guys that'll have your back, but that will understand that YOU ARE THE BOSS. (At least when you're standing in front of those clients. And as such will always call you by name, or just say "boss". As in what now boss, what's next boss, looking good boss.)

Things like that go a long way when there are several dozen spectators standing around watching you and your crew run like mad. To know that your crew RESPECTS YOU and that they turn to you for guidance is critical in that atmosphere.

While the job can be a game changer for you and your business, it'll be a killer if you go in unprepared. Get the help! Figure on paying them at least $10 an hour, plus meals. I'd also figure on STAYING either on, or near the property. Adding 2+ hours of travel each day can kill the deal. Have a flat... your done. Have an accident.... your done. One of your guys not show up.... YOU ARE DONE! Kiss the wife and kids bye, and have a good time making your business a success for a few days.
    You CAN - NOT - BUY that type of exposure!!!!!!!!!

Considering those vehicles will be somewhat babied to begin with, get an order in for at least half a case of microfiber, better yet a case (don't have to pay the 15% split case charge) from Ian at Microfiber Tech. The 360's come 180 to a case and can be had really REALLY cheap (pm me or call Ian for that cost, but it'll blow you away how much the markup is at your typical "detailing site") I know last case I bought wasn't even a quarter of what you'll see the same towels priced at when you buy 3 at a time. Make sure to pick up a few of his Korean waffle weave drying towels while you're at it.

Then get plenty of grout sponges, wash mitts, LOTS OF buckets, grit guards, and a couple gallons of rinseless wash. Another gallon (or two) of spray wax and that'll cover most of it. You probably have the rest.

Of course you'll need some shampoo for the wheels as well as wheel buckets and plenty of brushes. Lots of brake dust, lots of rubber to be removed from track cars! Remember that track cars could care less about tire shine, and probably will yell at you if you put it on. Never mind that it'll make track rubber stick even worse.

Then figure in all those expenses, the towels, (full case) the chemicals, the HELP, meals, room and board (which will actually be less than travel expense when you start figuring in mileage each day). Heck even the IRS lets you charge off .56˘ per mile in 2014 for business expenses! That's $1.12 one-way on the round trip which you said is an hour away, maybe 45 miles? That's $50.40 in DEAD EXPENSES not counting profit. Add in the profit (40%) and you're at $70.56 PER DAY. You can easily find a place to stay for that.

You'll be better off if you bring your own help. That and it'll make it look more like you have your $hit together. Remember, with these guys image is everything. Wouldn't hurt for you all to have the same shirts. Grab some bright color T's, maybe put a logo on them.

Add all that up, figure at least 40%~50% profit to that THEN add in YOUR normal daily rate for yourself. If its hourly, fine. But that needs to be $35~$75 an hour (whatever your market will bear). Hit the guy with the top mark as your "standard rate", then if he doesn't flinch, grin, shake his hand, PUT A CONTRACT IN FRONT OF HIM and get it signed. If he flinches, tell him that you'll, on a ONE TIME BASIS adjust it to make the deal happen, and if you were charging $75 an hour back it down to $55. He'll feel like you are either bending over to make it happen, or he's screwing you.... either way that'll make him happy.

But whatever you do, DO NOT back off your profit for your other expenses. Those are non-negotiable!

Believe me, you'll end up having something come up that you didn't expect. One of you might have a flat driving up there or a hose bust, or the wind blows and several dozen microfibers get blown across the dirt (and therefore unusable).

In any event, make up a contract based on your conversations with the client, line item his needs, (check box if needed) and then you can also allow for "add-on's" at additional cost. That way there are no surprises going in. Guy comes to you at the end of the day and says, "Hey, I tracked some gunk in my floorboards and it won't come up, get that out tonight" or "How about doing a quick buff on my baby tonight like you did that other car". Have all that spelled out in the contract. Probably be able to do whatever comes up with some D151 or FG400 but you never know.

Whatever you do..... DO.... NOT.... TRY.... AND.... DO.... IT.... ALONE!

Good luck, and happy bidding!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in NYC and may be able to help some if it is in my direction.

Nevermind sorry I double checked the days I'm only off on Thursday that week.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of thoughts from me.

1) These cars are being run on a track, so even though they are high end, they are probably not pristine and perfect.

2) I think you are thinking about this event to much as a detailer, when you should be thinking about it as a businessman. You are going to look a lot better when you have quick turnaround times and meet deadlines compared to delivering awesome detailed cars late to a group of people who can't tell a squirrel from a swirl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, seriously, thank you so much for the detailed and well thought out replies.

I'm looking in the Facebook groups for anyone local who might want to help. I'm pretty sure this is like a factory test drive event where they are just using the track so people can open up the cars a bit if they want. These aren't race cars by any means and there will be no polishing going on. I actually told the guy that for the 2 indoor display cars the best best would be a glaze and coat of fresh wax maintained with detail spray as needed.

At this point, I'm not sure I can clear out my own schedule to get this done for next weekend anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast