autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Selling Supplies

Hello! I've been thinking a lot about selling detailing supplies in an effort to bring in more money for my auto detailing business.

Currently, it's a two-man operation. We're two guys, using my 3-car garage at my house to do all of our local detailing jobs. We are also mobile. However, we are thinking about cordoning off the 3rd stall in my garage to set up a small shop where customers could purchase detailing supplies.

We'd like to sell our shirts, waxes, cleaners, etc. It would get more customers through our doors, would give us an opportunity to interact with them, upsell, and more. Plus the markup on small containers of what we're selling would result in some nice profits, IMO.

Can you please offer any feedback/thoughts on this plan? What would I need to do this? I need to get a seller's license...we are already set up to accept credit cards.

Only concerns I have are staffing, and I also wonder if customers would still book appointments for full details if they're buying our waxes and materials to do it themselves.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selling Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    Hello! I've been thinking a lot about selling detailing supplies in an effort to bring in more money for my auto detailing business.

Currently, it's a two-man operation. We're two guys, using my 3-car garage at my house to do all of our local detailing jobs. We are also mobile. However, we are thinking about cordoning off the 3rd stall in my garage to set up a small shop where customers could purchase detailing supplies.

We'd like to sell our shirts, waxes, cleaners, etc. It would get more customers through our doors, would give us an opportunity to interact with them, upsell, and more. Plus the markup on small containers of what we're selling would result in some nice profits, IMO.

Can you please offer any feedback/thoughts on this plan? What would I need to do this? I need to get a seller's license...we are already set up to accept credit cards.

Only concerns I have are staffing, and I also wonder if customers would still book appointments for full details if they're buying our waxes and materials to do it themselves.

Thanks!
    I had a buddy running a high-end custom car audio business. He'd do $10K+ audio systems that placed in national competitions.

He brought in a window tinting guy, with the hopes of getting more customers through his door for his high-end audio work. The window tinter made more money (gross and net) than the rest of the whole business.

So, maybe you think I'm saying to bring in a window tinter. Maybe that is a good idea. Maybe tying up cash in inventory and spending your time consulting with "tire-kickers" on whether they should buy a polisher and do it themselves will cause you to reconsider the extra part of your business. Price senstive guys are already well-served by box stores and auto maintenance stores for "washing supplies". The Internet, as we know, is a good place to buy products without much markup, for a hobbyist.

Personally, I'd suggest starting smaller than a 3rd whole stall. It seems to me that setting up a folding table with "maintenance products" (spray waxes, window cleaners, towels, etc) that complement your core business and then doing some other service in the 3rd bay (tint / clear bras / etc) might make more $$ for you.

My $.02
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Cant argue with that! ^^^
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

most people dont care and wont want to wear your shirts.. if any it will be very little and not worth the time or money

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your state, you will have to look into sales tax implications, such as collecting it and sending it to the state.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    what are other strategies you guys have done to bring in more revenue?

How much is 'more money' for you guys? cause if you want, I'll be happy to paypal you guys $5 a week

i think it would be better to sell detailing supplies for maintenance washes don't you think?

You perform the detail, then you can say "if you'd like to maintain it this way, we sell XYZ stuff"

again, what are 'nice profits'?

I think as of now you're thinking to far ahead..

There's a lot of questions you're not asking yourself

and a lot of opportunities being missed

PM me if you want to go more into detail
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Read Grant Cardones 10X factor do what it says youll have plenty of work...

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the clover station from suntrust bank. It does all your payroll, and everything. Also has a barcode scanner and built in credit card scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I actually really like the idea. I've thought about this too, but the whole supply/demand thing seems like it would tie up a lot of capital, especially considering that you can get everything (just about) at Auto Zone, or Pep Boys to get started. Outside of that, how many civilians have such an immediate need for specialty products? I love product, but personally for me, in this environment, I'd be reluctant. Again, I love the concept.

On second thought, if I had a shop, I'd do exactly what phens82 proposed. Start small and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I actually really like the idea. I've thought about this too, but the whole supply/demand thing seems like it would tie up a lot of capital, especially considering that you can get everything (just about) at Auto Zone, or Pep Boys to get started. Outside of that, how many civilians have such an immediate need for specialty products? I love product, but personally for me, in this environment, I'd be reluctant. Again, I love the concept.

On second thought, if I had a shop, I'd do exactly what phens82 proposed. Start small and see how it goes.
    It's interesting that you mentioned getting started at Pep Boys etc...... often when I detail my customers or onlookers ask about why I use what I use and where to get the products I use since most are not available except online. I explain the differences and the benefits of professional grade products and where to get them - many of my customers don't go back to the box store stuff. Once I get back in my garage I'm for sure going to have some staple products available for purchase.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1