autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant wax a Audi with a coating??? Is this true?

A close family friend is visiting from out of state. She has an Audi A8 and when she arrived I was detailing my truck and noticed how dirty hers was. I told her if she wants id detail it for her while shes here. She replied to me that it has a "special" factory coating on it and if it gets wax on it it will be ruined. So I asked her where she heard that, since that was the first time ive heard such a thing, and she said that the dealership told her that. It also has a scratch on it from hitting a shopping cart that id like to remove for her. Thing is if she doesnt want me touching it then by no means am i going to touch it.

My question is, for future reference, is what the dealership told her true? Do Audi have a coating on them that can be compromised by wax or did the dealership sell her on some snake oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cant wax a Audi with a coating??? Is this true?

That is hockus pokus brondondolon! First it could not be classified as a coating (as we know it) if it was not chemically same. Solvents in waxes cannot and should not affect any legitimate coatings on the market. If this is a special thing, she should have been provided with litterature on it and how to maintain it. I currently maintain 3 Audis and none have suffered at the hands of paint sealants or waxes. They were actually enhanced.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

snake oil.. coatings can be waxed, should they...no IMO as it can hinder their properties but it will not hurt a real coating. Most likely she was sold some sealant that isn't truly a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    snake oil.. coatings can be waxed, should they...no IMO as it can hinder their properties but it will not hurt a real coating. Most likely she was sold some sealant that isn't truly a coating.
    Even sealants can be waxed without being compromised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Even sealants can be waxed without being compromised.
    correct...

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the dealership may have sold her a "coating" where she needs to keep going back to them for renewal, and they may have led her to believe that if anything else is done, the warranty on that coating would be nullified. We all know it's nonsense. You can try and educate her, but in the end, it's her car and her decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok yeah thats what i thought. I just didnt want to be wrong and get a customer one day with an audi and possibly ruin it because of some special "coating" that it had on it. I was pretty sure it was just a way for the dealership to make money off of her but im not going to try and change her mind. If shes happy with going to the dealership to have them wash it with an old shop towel thats her prerogative. When i tried telling her that it sounds a little weird that something cant be waxed she treated it like "well its an audi not a dodge like your truck its special" so im not going to try telling her again. I just wanted to know if there was something i didnt know.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some prime real estate near some swamp land and I would be more than happy to sell at a great price!! Man I feel what you are saying Brondondolon. You want to fix the scratch, not only will you make it look 10 times better; your close friend will still not see the light!! She is stuck in the Matrix!! She needs the Blue Pill to see the light!!

I have a friend that does the same thing. He thinks the dealership does the best job...

Best thing you could do is let her know and hopefully she can make the decision. IMO no matter what you say she will not listen to you.

When she leaves the Matrix...I am sure she will come to you!!

Patience is a virtue!!!....LOL

Peace!!!

Post Thanks / Like

•Audi purports their vehicles' paint has roughly:
    -1/10 of a millimeter thickness (3.937 mils)

•It has four film/builds:
    -Primer
    -Filler
    -BaseCoat/(color-coat; "effect agents")...
    [Audi states it has roughly ten thousandths of a millimeter thickness]
    -Two component Clear Coat

•Sounds like a BC/CC with no "OEM special coating" applied at the assembly plants.

•Now I suppose you could count (as a "special coating"):
    -The transit film; or...(at the request of the dealership):
    -A factory installed full-body cover that protects the entire vehicle during shipment.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I have owned an A4, and this is bogus. A lot of high end dealerships try and pawn these "protective coatings" off to uneducated buyers. A girl I work with just got a new IS and told me the dealership tried to sell her on it. They wanted Megabucks of course
    Bottom line is : I don't let the Lexus dealer WASH my car, let alone apply a "coating"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast