autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very bad experience yesterday

Sometimes I put one of my prized microfiber in the cooler and use it on myself on the hot days!! Rub it all over face chest. It helps, if just a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    May I suggest wearing a camel back water devise. They are not that expensive you can drink when you need to and before dehydration. This is especially good when drink water is not in an accessible area
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    It's funny how the body lets you know when its chemistry's off so it's important to remember; hot weather and fluids are vitally important.

The temp here was close to 90 yesterday and the humidity was stifling. I was splitting wood in the hot sun for most of the afternoon and sweat I did...........and drank a lot of water to keep things going strong. I seriously drank about 1 gallon of water in 4 hours. I keep 2 gallons in a cooler with some ice....Very refreshing on a hot summers day!
    The body needs water. It does not have to be cold. Drink it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    May I suggest wearing a camel back water devise.
    I did just that yesterday when I was working on my Element. I fill it with ice and water.

Post Thanks / Like

- I always have a 10 day forecast ahead of me and if the day is too hot, I only do maintenance.
    - Sun-screen! Very important.
    - As people have suggested hydration. Gatorade is exceptional in keeping electrolytes up.
    - Shade; Always try to be in it and customers are always helpful in finding you shade or understand that you are a human.
    - Start early in the day(6:00am?). I have a detail on Monday and forecast is a hot day and I simply asked my customer, 'How earliest can I arrive?'.
    - Low-cut socks, shorts, Shemagh, hat, cold towels, portable fan(if you have a ladder, get a clip on fan!).. some of the accessories that help. (Try cold towel + fan for instant cooling)
    - Dress white, cotton is great for absorption of sweat. It's tempting to wear 'black' since it looks 'cool' but it's certainly not feel cool!
    - BCAAs. I always carry this with me. It helps muscles recover while providing hydration.
    - Coconut Water: GREAT for hydrating, especially the chunky one which provides tiny bits of carbs too!

Above all, be safe. Your health is VERY important... beyond the scope of business. I don't want any of my fellow detailers getting out of commission since all of you have families to support. I hope this post helped.
    Eco-friendly, Mobile Detailing Services at Your Doorstep! Servicing North Bay Area.
    Like Our Company Facebook Page
    Check Out Our Website for more Information

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the reasons I no longer detail along with age and excessive weight. My episode was when mowing the lawn in 100+ temps even though I drank a LOT of water. I had a few UH-OH moments when detailing in my garage but not as severe as this episode. All those combined told me "no more dude". I doubt you're 65 years of age as I am but listen to what your body is telling you.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Heat can sneak up on you. It's scary and often overlooked until you meet it head on. My normal job takes place in an unairconditioned shop so or safety guys try to drive it in our head every year.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel dehydration coming on while detailing even when temps are only in the 80s. I often notice that I havn't urinated all day long even though I have been consuming plenty of fluids. Also remember that consuming salt is crucial during strenuous activity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckp View Post
    I feel dehydration coming on while detailing even when temps are only in the 80s. I often notice that I havn't urinated all day long even though I have been consuming plenty of fluids. Also remember that consuming salt is crucial during strenuous activity.

When I was still in my teens (I'm 83 now) and working in a hot environment, salt tablet dispensers were readily available. I have not seen one of them in decades. They must be out of favor now. When I was golfing, I would have some of the salt dispensers as used in fast food restaurants in my golf bag and always use one on a round. It seemed to help ward off heat cramps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12