autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help on advertising my mobile detailing business

Hello,
    this is my first post to autogeek so bare with me.
    i am in the process of starting up my mobile detailing business and was wondering what methods you guys use to advertise your business beyond business cards and a facebook page/website. I am about to order vinyl lettering for my truck which i'll be working from and also my Mitsubishi Evo. I think putting some vinyl ads on the Evo will be pretty beneficial considering it gets more looks from people than my Silverado. Also, I live in metro detroit and every year in mid august there is a MASSIVE car gathering on Woodward Ave. packed full of all kinds of cars and i want to set up some sort of tent to advertise out of during the event. Other than that i dont have many ideas on reaching out to potential customers. Maybe some t-shirts, hats etc.

any advice is appreciated..

Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    glad to see another X owner!! First question have you checked your local market and found where you want to fit?? Have you written a business plan?
    What kind of work will you be doing?
    It's all in the details

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help on advertising my mobile detailing business

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    glad to see another X owner!! First question have you checked your local market and found where you want to fit?? Have you written a business plan?
    What kind of work will you be doing?
    I have written a business plan and am constantly documenting my expenses, setting goals, researching products, etc. I really would like to do more high end/ big projects rather than simple interior vacuum/cleaning and basic washes. however, i am not quite confident in my abilities yet to handle exotic/expensive vehicles as i am risking messing up and creating a bad name for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are just starting I would keep costs low and start with a Rinseless Wash business. This way you do not need a huge water tank and a pressure washer. Start doing Rinseless Washes for family and friends. If you live in a neighborhood, try cleaning all the cars in the neighborhood. The less you have to travel. the better. Here is what I would purchase starting out

ONR two bucket system for Rinseless Washes with Gamma Sealed Lids to transport water
    One Gallon of Optimum No Rinse
    At least 25 Microfiber Towels
    5 black Microfiber towels for wheels
    Ultima Waterless Wash
    At least 5 Spray Bottles
    48 oz Pressure Sprayer Bottle filled with water and ONR for pre soak
    One Gallon of Meguiars Last Touch Detailer
    A few Meguiars Wash Mitts for the Rinseless Washes
    Tire Dressing of your choice

You will be in the Rinseless Wash business with these products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    If you are just starting I would keep costs low and start with a Rinseless Wash business.

ONR two bucket system for Rinseless Washes with Gamma Sealed Lids to transport water
    Ultima Waterless Wash
    At least 5 Spray Bottles
    One Gallon of Meguiars Last TouchDetailer

Sounds great. Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the Meguiars Last Touch Detailer when you could make quick detailer out of ONR. I don't own either product, so I'm just wondering what would be better about one vs the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOxdetailer View Post
    I have written a business plan and am constantly documenting my expenses, setting goals, researching products, etc.
    I really would like to do more high end/ big projects rather than simple interior vacuum/cleaning and basic washes.
    No one ever starts at the top. In this business everyone starts out on the daily drivers and mini vans. These types of vehicles will aid you in becoming a better detailer. Additionally, these kinds of details will help showcase your work better with before and after photos.

however, i am not quite confident in my abilities yet to handle exotic/expensive vehicles as i am risking messing up and creating a bad name for myself.
    Gain confidence in your abilities on the normal cars and slowly move your way up.

While everyone dreams of the $1000 plus details and making lots of money you have to start small and work your way from there. I would highly recommend you pick up Mike Phillip's How to books along with Renny Doyle's book on how to start up a part time home based detailing business.

You have been given some good advice so take those and build on them.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on first getting on here, and second on starting a business, you are leap years ahead of your competition just by being on here.

Alright, I did exactly like you did. I was the first in my area to start a mobile detailing business. Today, print ads are not that good for really small business, but you could call the local paper and ask if they do "New Business Start up" ads. If so, let them know that you are starting in the area. I can tell you that I did this and it worked. My phone rang off the hook for weeks after the ad ran.
    Second. Don't shy away from the hustle. Everyone wants to be that guy, the one that all the exotic cars go to, where $1,000 plus details are the norm, but you don't get there first, you have to climb the mountain. The vast majority of my business was in the wash and wax format, and I hustled. I could knock out 5-6 vehicles at one spot in an afternoon. I started my business part time until the demand would allow me to go full time. As others have stated, start with the minimum equipment and chemicals, get some that can be used everywhere, Meguiars hyper dressing comes to mind, you can mix up multiple bottles for different applications and the cost is minimal once you dilute it. Stick to that for a while, and let you name get out there. Business cards are great to have when you are working on a vehicle and someone ask you about it.

Appearance is everything. I decided to go with a trailer unit that I designed and built myself and let my truck at the time be the show piece of what I could do. I had numerous people just come to me and say that they wanted their vehicle to look like my truck. Image is everything. Make some uniforms for yourself. It is simple and easy to come up with printable iron on logos, that if anything just gets your name right there. Make sure that your rig is clean every time you go out, no exceptions. Use the car to set up at areas where other enthusiast are, and you can put your logo and information on it, but it has to be able to stand up to scrutiny, so make sure when you plan on going out with it, it is in top shape as well.

Most of all, take yous time and don't get too big too fast. Allow the demand for your service to push you to the next level.

Never stop learning.

Ask questions.

Enjoy the journey.

HUMP

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to the forum and a new weekend warrior detail wise since my wife got a new vehicle,so I will be of very little help on the detail side. I own a sign shop and the number one thing I would tell you for just starting out and wanting to get noticed is to have a professionally designed logo. If a logo is done correctly, it should last you through the life of your business, maybe with a few tweaks here and there. With a logo you now have consistency throughout your advertising - your business cards, vehicle lettering, signs, shirts, invoices, everything. It is cheaper in the long run since nobody should charge you "set up" fees since you can provide the artwork. A couple of things to remember though, whoever you choose, make sure they have a good portfolio of quality logo work. Also the logo should not be designed just to suit your tastes but more importantly should be appealing to your customers. If you want to pm me I can give you a couple of names of people that I would recommend and I feel their prices are very reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan W View Post
    …why do you recommend the Meguiars Last Touch Detailer when you could make quick detailer out of ONR?
    Never mind. I searched a couple of threads on the topic and found the answer: ONR as a QD doesn't give the same gloss as a dedicated QD. Sorry to intrude in the thread.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    If you are just starting I would keep costs low and start with a Rinseless Wash business. This way you do not need a huge water tank and a pressure washer. Start doing Rinseless Washes for family and friends. If you live in a neighborhood, try cleaning all the cars in the neighborhood. The less you have to travel. the better. Here is what I would purchase starting out

Ultima Waterless Wash
    At least 5 Spray Bottles
    One Gallon of Meguiars Last Touch Detailer

I already own a pressure washer and was thinking that I could tell the customer that I was going to use their water supply (as most people have a hose outside their house close enough to the garage/driveway). Would this be frowned upon by customers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast