autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Prices: to list or not to list?

I'm in the process of starting my business and getting a website going and I can't decide if I want to list my prices or not. I have read Renny Doyle's book and it says to not list your prices because it takes the salesman out of you, but I've also seen some of the detailers on here who have their prices listed and they look to have a very well ran business. So could some of you please explain why you list your prices or why you do not, it would be much appreciated, Thanks

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prices: to list or not to list?

The successful businesses you are referring too may not have started out with a set price list. But now that they have continual business, customer referrals, and other incoming requests they are able to subject themselves to a price sheet because of their reputation. I am in the process of establishing a "small home business" with side and weekend jobs to keep my detailing bug alive and have no price listing at all. All of my business has been referral and so far it's worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zexel View Post
    The successful businesses you are referring too may not have started out with a set price list. But now that they have continual business, customer referrals, and other incoming requests they are able to subject themselves to a price sheet because of their reputation. I am in the process of establishing a "small home business" with side and weekend jobs to keep my detailing bug alive and have no price listing at all. All of my business has been referral and so far it's worked great.
    That makes sense, thanks for the reply! I hope your business keeps going great and continues to grow!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not publish my pricing for my wedding photography. I want the customer to call and ask. This way, i have them on the phone and that makes closing a sale easier than if i put prices on my website. You want to have that personal interaction!

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    I do not publish my pricing for my wedding photography. I want the customer to call and ask. This way, i have them on the phone and that makes closing a sale easier than if i put prices on my website. You want to have that personal interaction!
    Exactly. Let your customers tell you what they want work around their budget. Don't make their budget work around your "menu", so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter if you're an expensive guy or cheap guy or in the middle. It depends on how you think your customers will perceive your business and if they find value in it - whether it is better price or quality.

Once you figure out how much value or what kind of value you have to your customers, you can decide whether pricing will effect them contacting you or not. That doesn't mean you have to be cheaper, because i feel some customers find that a more expensive service (when paired with awesome evidence of quality) is a better quality service

I'd start off without pricing or a good starting at price, then adjust from there

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT display prices. Disclaimer: I'm not a professional detailer. I would much rather display approximate hours it takes to do a job. Package A takes X amount of hours to complete, Package B takes X amount of hours. By NOT displaying a price, it allows you to use your salesmanship and close the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with not displaying prices is that you have to have a killer website and good evidence of the value that you have to offer. If not, it'll be too easy to skip over to the next website. You have to let the website start the sale for you a bit. Good pics with good work are a must

Post Thanks / Like

list the prices

more people will hit the backspace and go to another site with someone that does list their prices

it has nothing to do with what type of services you offer

its basically how much work does the visitor have to do on your site

and realistically speaking, the prices you post on your website will hardly be the actual prices you quote on customers cars

"why?" you may ask

well cause you should always say 'starting at $200'.. that way they have a general idea of the price range

and to be even more realistic.. a greater majority of people will ask "hey how much to detail a 2007 Dodge Ram?"
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    I would NOT display prices. Disclaimer: I'm not a professional detailer. I would much rather display approximate hours it takes to do a job. Package A takes X amount of hours to complete, Package B takes X amount of hours. By NOT displaying a price, it allows you to use your salesmanship and close the deal.
    I disagree with you. I've always listed my prices form day one and I'm booked out 3-4 weeks year round. It lets people who are just price shop not to call me and those are not the customers I want. I list price the hours it takes and I only marketing I do is website,Facebook and word of mouth. Every detailer I know list there prices and never a problem with getting business. Just do great work and customers will come and it takes time to build a detailing business. Your reputation is everything in the business where there are tons of hacks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast