autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to Local Cars and Coffee, business questions...

Hey guys, I went to a (new to me) cars and coffee event about 30 minutes from home this past Sunday thinking I would chat up some people and talk about their cars and see about getting some work. Well lots of nice cars there, mostly late model sports cars and exotics (saw my first Aventador in person). There was a guy there with a mobile detailing van and he was dressed in khakis and a red polo with his logo. He seemed to be well known to a lot of people there, I checked out his website while I was walking around and it sounds like he does paint correction properly (no before and after pics on his site and a lot of pictures leave a lot of questions for someone like me, though probably not for the average joe who just wants a clean shiny car). There was also another guy walking around talking to people about detailing that he does, not really sure who he is.

So, is it wrong to be talking to people about this if there's already two detailers there? Would people feel bombarded by this? A lot of cars there could use some serious help, just maybe the owners aren't interested, I don't know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Went to Local Cars and Coffee, business questions...

This is somehow reminding me of a tv cop show and drug dealers having "their" corner and no one else should be selling around there.

I don't think you should be intimidated by the presence of other detailers, but at the same time I don't think that people go to these things to be pestered (or "bombarded" as you put it) by people trying to sell them things.

Get some business cards if you don't already have some, and develop a delivery line like "you have a beautiful car, if you need any help keeping it beautiful, let me know" and hand them the card, and walk away. Then they aren't being put upon, and they can stop you if they want to talk more.

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who attends and organizes some small cars and coffee events, I wouldn't want someone who has never been to an event before show up and start self promoting all over the place.

However, if you talk casually about what you do, and do it in a way that doesn't make it seem like the only reason you're there is to sell them something, then I don't see a problem with that.

Of course the events I plan have no sponsors or anything. Some of the bigger C&C events have tables set up and everything, and if those guys have paid for the right to be there, then that's something totally different. It sounds to me like those guys already there have a good repertoire with that crowd, and have probably been to many of those events in the past.

My suggestion is to attend more of these events. Bring some business cards, and only give them out if someone asks, or if the situation dictates an exchange of contact information. The more you attend, people will start to get to know you, and know what you're all about. I think you'll reach a point where people start to recognize you because of the business side of things, and less of the casual C&C attendee

I guess my point is, don't make it seem like the only reason you're there is to sell something. In my experience people don't go to a C&C to buy a product, they go for the personal interactions, the conversation and being amongst your peers who share a common interest.

Post Thanks / Like

i was at a recent C&C event where i ran into one of those detailers that was just going around trying to sell his services, handing out business cards. by the time the event was over all his cards were in the trash or on the ground. most of the guys that go there dont want to talk about how bad their car looks or detailing. they are there to hangout with other car guys and talk about cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post
    by the time the event was over all his cards were in the trash or on the ground. most of the guys that go there dont want to talk about how bad their car looks or detailing. they are there to hangout with other car guys and talk about cars.
    Point taken, but most marketing winds up in the trash, whether it be flyers, mail, email, etc.

Personally, if I was a potential client, and some guy showed up a few times and was friendly and after I got friendly with him, then he tried to sell me something, I would be insulted etc. that the only reason he was being friendly was to sell something. IMO, if you're there to sell, do it in a fast, non-invasive way. I hate salesmen who want to talk about the weather or sports or some bonding nonsense before they try to sell you something.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't like when someone just comes at me out of the blue and tries to sell me something. I completely just tune out and politely just say OK thank you and walk away.

I don't like to throw away business cards and especially not on the ground due to karma and littering lol.

The more recent times that I have gone to car shows. I go up to people and start talking to them about their cars and improvements on what could be made on their beautiful cars. Never with sales in mind, just to chat with them to get to know them a bit more and the car some more too. I don't hand out business cards, until and when they ask me for one.

I do like taking my camera and taking a bunch of pictures though, and if it's me doing actual work that is worth documenting then I take plenty of pictures of the car, my work, and me doing my work, to keep building my portfolio.

I have invested a good amount of money on my camera equipment, software, etc..., but I am more focused on building my reputation than money. (nothing against money it is nice to get paid ) money will come eventually (hopefully ) but reputation is more important to me now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha wow, lots of different opinions here! Thanks for the insight everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

My cars and coffee only allows authorized people to hand out business info to those that attend the event. I am an official sponser for the Pittsburgh Cars N' Coffee and I will be the only detailer allowed to give out info and talk with attendees. Anyone else who try's do so is asked politely to leave.

Eric you should find out who runs the events and speak with them personally before handing out info. We have a president and I spoke with him first. I introduced myself last year and spoke with him for just a few moments. I got a call before this year started about being a sponser for the club and that's how it went for me.

I would say do something along the lines of what I did. Talk one on one with whom ever runs it and offer to show off some of your work with photos and if the circumstances are right then in person as well.

I would inquire about rules on how they let people advertise business. If there are no rules and it's a free for all then. I would stay away from that all together.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sounds like you need a lawyer to go to one of these C&C things. They sounded like fun until I read this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The events are good to go to. The question was about business advice. Evan has it right. Talk to the president that runs the event. I have done the same thing and am in the process of becoming the sponsor of one of the events locally

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast