autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When did you decide it was time to take your hobby full time?

Currently I work on cars every night and also Saturday and Sunday. I could get more cars done, but I have a great paying job currently. What was the final decision that made you decide to take your hobby full time?

How did you break the news to your current clients that pricing will increase to cover new overhead costs? (Currently I do all cars out of my house garage.)
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/avatars/caraudiophile.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1366666430
    www.exoticdetailne.com 02 GT Blown and Beaten

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When did you decide it was time to take your hobby full time?

I will make that leap IF the income from detailing is ever > my income from working 40hrs a week. Not until. I dont believe in jumping off the dock if the boat hasnt pulled up yet.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I was 'between jobs' when I started detailing and it took off. So I guess I've never been in your position.

Honestly, I'd keep your job. Raise your rates now if you think it's the right thing for you to do.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would be careful raising your rates, it would be advisable to grandfather those customers at their existing rate, seeing as they have been with you since the beginning.

This is a key example on why it is important to do a proper business plan and cost break down BEFORE you go into business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarAudiophile View Post
    Currently I work on cars every night and also Saturday and Sunday. I could get more cars done, but I have a great paying job currently. What was the final decision that made you decide to take your hobby full time?

How did you break the news to your current clients that pricing will increase to cover new overhead costs? (Currently I do all cars out of my house garage.)
    I went to a straight hourly rate a few years back. The hourly rate I decided that I would need to make it worth my while caused my prices to double. Trying to explain this to existing customers was very uncomfortable for me, but was a conversation that had to take place Many decided to go elsewhere. Many I am glad that they did

Nothing will make you loose your passion faster then knowing you are loosing money

Post Thanks / Like

I feel as if though I'm in the same boat.

I've been an auto tech for about 15 years. I've spent countless thousands buying tools to keep up with the changing technology, only for the customer to not understand WHY a shop charges so much for a repair. Brake pads with built in sensors, flash updates on PCM to correct a funky idle, ball joints that require a $400 tool to remove them properly. About the ony thing that hasn't changed over the years is the procedure of taking off the tires. People who don't matain their car until they're about to go out of town for a vacation, and the bill is twice the cost of them going out for a week. The constant "I need it today, even though I dropped it off a 3pm".

I do make good money, sometimes about $1800 every 2 weeks, buy my heart is no longer in "the game". I recently bought a 2003 Acura TL for $300 that needed so many repairs, the customer decided that getting rid of it was the best option he could think of. I spent every night for 3 weeks fixing it, replacing this, repairing that, and finally sold it for $3000.

I bought a mytee lite II, a flex 3401, a crap load of pads, detailing supplies, brushes, towels, compounds...you name it. My wife asked me what the hell I'm doing...my only answer was.....I wanted something to fall back on, as I enjoy detailing a lot more than auto repair.

Now, I've been doing detailing for a few years now, mostly on my car and truck, andfamily and friends. I don't charge anything, but most times, I'll get a 12 PAC of beer or a decent meal out of it. But I do gain experience, and that to me is invaluable. And it's a lot harder for my friends to b--ch about something when they got something for free.

I suppose that if I could make $400-$500 a week doing this, I'd roll my toolboxes right out of the shop. But, as of right now, I don't have a client base. And I don't consider myself a quick detailer. If my friends want a good detail, then they know I'll have their car for most of the day, if not overnight. I'm thorough, precise, and I see places that need to be cleaned that most don't even realize. I see ads on Craigslist for $65 detail specials. And I KNOW they are not doing as good as a job that I could. But then again, I wouldn't do front brakes on a Nissan Sentra formless than $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I went to a straight hourly rate a few years back. The hourly rate I decided that I would need to make it worth my while caused my prices to double. Trying to explain this to existing customers was very uncomfortable for me, but was a conversation that had to take place Many decided to go elsewhere. Many I am glad that they did

Nothing will make you loose your passion faster then knowing you are loosing money
    Quote for truth.

I also hate wasting time especially if the customer doesn't really care.

I single stage corrected a car and it finished immaculate. 2 weeks later the guy plastidips the entire car.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a very similar situation, and my advice would be this:

Price your services so that you feel it is worth your time. You do not have to work after work and on weekends, you are simply choosing to do so, therefore you should be paid in a manner that makes it worthwhile and not just a burden in your already busy week.

My prices are way higher than anyone else in my area, but I am still booked 4-6 months ahead of time on a regular basis because I clearly offer a premium service and am seeking premium clients. If someone thinks I am too expensive and does not want to do business with me, it is probably for the best for both of us.

Be confident in your asking prices - it makes all the difference. If you are hesitant about asking $1,000+ for a job then the client will sense than and be hesitant as well. My prices have grown significantly over the past couple of years as I have started valuing my time & services more and more, and I haven't had any complaints. I also require deposits to schedule an appointment with me, and I have no complaints about this as well.

With that being said - I don't ever plan on making the jump to full time. Having an engineering degree and an engineering career allows me to spend some time detailing when I have free time and this is enough to keep me passionate about my detailing work without feeling "burnt out".

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't quit your good paying day job until you are hitting the same number on a consistant basis with your detailing each week. I've seen many burnout and quit or even freakout and quit when the phone doesn't ring for a week (or more) / Winter sets in/ Monsoon Season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I am in a very similar situation, and my advice would be this:

Price your services so that you feel it is worth your time. You do not have to work after work and on weekends, you are simply choosing to do so, therefore you should be paid in a manner that makes it worthwhile and not just a burden in your already busy week.

My prices are way higher than anyone else in my area, but I am still booked 4-6 months ahead of time on a regular basis because I clearly offer a premium service and am seeking premium clients. If someone thinks I am too expensive and does not want to do business with me, it is probably for the best for both of us.

Be confident in your asking prices - it makes all the difference. If you are hesitant about asking $1,000+ for a job then the client will sense than and be hesitant as well. My prices have grown significantly over the past couple of years as I have started valuing my time & services more and more, and I haven't had any complaints. I also require deposits to schedule an appointment with me, and I have no complaints about this as well.

With that being said - I don't ever plan on making the jump to full time. Having an engineering degree and an engineering career allows me to spend some time detailing when I have free time and this is enough to keep me passionate about my detailing work without feeling "burnt out".
    This is the way to sum it up, very nice! I have started my business again and I am much higher than I used to be, because of the very things you talk about in your post. My time value and the job I do on a vehicle. That is it. If I don't book on this weekend, then I go do something else (Believe me, my wife will find me something to do).

HUMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast