autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these input's worth the output?

Hello everyone, I need some friendly advice from all you guys, I recently have been reading on the search forum and have not found anything of exact description of everything I was wondering. I am sure I could be completely wrong and if I am I am very sorry, and please just show me where the thread is and I will gladly read upon that. But basically I have many of questions and here is where they start!

If I get a website going as in a .com, to go in with my Facebook page, is that a good idea and will the economics meet up with the spending of what I will be spending on it? Or is a social media page like my Face Book page enough in everyone's opinion? If you don't mind answering that and if possible give me a reason why or why not?

2.) If it is worthwhile, what kind of material should I have on the website, a general idea; you don't have to tell me everything of course !

3.) Is it a good idea to get into the market for the process of blasting head light Len’s to restore them to their original luster when they first came out of the factory? I have seen the process; I was just not sure about buying all the equipment such as the air compressors and the works.

4.) Is window tinting a good idea or not so much? (Every business and their mother do it here but a lot of people are always asking about it also) Is it hard to do? Where would be a good place to learn if it is a good idea, if it is a bad idea, please just ignore this then!
    Feedback please
    At the moment guys, that is all I have, I am just now starting my business and could use all the help in the world, I am steadily reading all the sticky I can for information and cramming as much information as possible, but sadly before I got on this site I thought I knew a little thing or two but not anymore! After joining here and seeing everyone's intellect on car detailing I for sure know now I am a noob :P

Edit--
    Also another few questions I just thought of, at the moment I am using the full line of Griots Garage chemicals, is there another good brand that is economical thoughtful? Meaning a good brand but still somewhat economical thoughtful? If that makes sense atleast...sorry Like I said complete noob, ever since I started using this Griots Garage brand, everything I see at Autozone and stuff I wonder about, of course except Griot's since it is at Advance Auto -_-
    Reasons Automotive Detailing
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are these input's worth the output?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanReasons View Post
    Hello everyone, I need some friendly advice from all you guys, I recently have been reading on the search forum and have not found anything of exact description of everything I was wondering. I am sure I could be completely wrong and if I am I am very sorry, and please just show me where the thread is and I will gladly read upon that. But basically I have many of questions and here is where they start!

I'm not sure if you're being serious with these questions, but I'll have a go. It sounds like you have some serious learning to do. And there's nothing wrong with that but don't expect others to spoon feed you and do all the leg work for you here.
    Watch youtube videos, practice on your own vehicles, do some friends and family members cars for practice. etc.

Why Griots?
    Have you used other brands?

Paying retail prices for supplies will kill your bottom line. I'll pick up a few items from an AutoZone or Wal Mart but the majority of my stuff I order online.

Watch AMMO NYC on youtube and learn. Paul Dalton, (Miracle Detail), from the UK is another great detailer.

If I get a website going as in a .com, to go in with my Facebook page, is that a good idea and will the economics meet up with the spending of what I will be spending on it? Or is a social media page like my Face Book page enough in everyone's opinion? If you don't mind answering that and if possible give me a reason why or why not?

Yola.com and wix.com offer FREE websites. You build it. Easy to do. Facebooks not enough nor professional without a true web site.

2.) If it is worthwhile, what kind of material should I have on the website, a general idea; you don't have to tell me everything of course !

Look at other's detailing web sites and get ideas. Prices, services, about you, FAQ, etc.

3.) Is it a good idea to get into the market for the process of blasting head light Len’s to restore them to their original luster when they first came out of the factory? I have seen the process; I was just not sure about buying all the equipment such as the air compressors and the works.

Here's what you need: 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
    A spray bottle with soapy water in it. (I use a little woolite laundry detergent).
    A buffer, preferably rotary and a Flex 3401. Various pads, i.e. wool pad for the rotary and foam pads for the Flex.
    Meguiar's M105 and M205 for polishing.
    A sealant to seal the lens after you're done and prevent future oxidation.

4.) Is window tinting a good idea or not so much? (Every business and their mother do it here but a lot of people are always asking about it also) Is it hard to do? Where would be a good place to learn if it is a good idea, if it is a bad idea, please just ignore this then!

Do you know how to do window tinting? Try youtube videos to learn. I don't do tint so I couldn't tell you.

Feedback please
    At the moment guys, that is all I have, I am just now starting my business and could use all the help in the world, I am steadily reading all the sticky I can for information and cramming as much information as possible, but sadly before I got on this site I thought I knew a little thing or two but not anymore! After joining here and seeing everyone's intellect on car detailing I for sure know now I am a noob :P

Edit--
    Also another few questions I just thought of, at the moment I am using the full line of Griots Garage chemicals, is there another good brand that is economical thoughtful? Meaning a good brand but still somewhat economical thoughtful? If that makes sense atleast...sorry Like I said complete noob, ever since I started using this Griots Garage brand, everything I see at Autozone and stuff I wonder about, of course except Griot's since it is at Advance Auto -_-
    We've all been where you are. Try to learn as much as you can and get your techniques down. Good luck.
    davinciautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou very much for the response! The reason I have order Griots at the moment is because I got a grand deal with everything in a package so ATM that is why I am using it, I'll be sure to check out all those videos and I will also check out wix,although I am pretty good with Photoshop and coding so I doubt I'll need the help It is just the time that it takes me to do it could be used on more productive things if a website is not worth it. But now that you let me know it is a good idea I'll be working on it from here on out. When it comes to the window tinting I have no idea but,I am always willing to learn. I am glad you decided to answer these questions for me, I'll be glad to do all the work and research, I just needed a few things that you have given me, which is being pointed in the right direction. I appreciate it, if you have any other suggestions do let me know if you have any others! Thank you very very much!
    P.s. The reason I was wondering about the headlights restoration is because there is a guy down where I'm from about a hour away and he has a air compressor and some type f gun and blows something out and tapes the car off with newspaper and etc and blows it and in about 10 seconds he is done and it looks wonderful. Was seeing if any one knew about this process and what it is called so I can research on it. Also once again thanks a lot!
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Your website should include detailing options of different levels. ie lvl 1: basic wash, lvl 2: clay wash wax, lvl 3: machine polish. As well as different levels of interior cleaning. It also should include a company profile and pictures. Check out others sites for insparation.

Although wix is indeed free its only free for their basic website if you want to connect your own domain name because theirs is stupid or if you want to remove adds you will need to pay $8 a month. I learned the hard way that nothing is TRULY free lol

If you want to offer headlight restoration you dont need to buy an air compressor in the beginning. There are more cost effective ways to restore headlights that dont cost $100s of dollars. Check out the 3M headlight restoration kit. Its $22 and is good for roughly 2 cars but they sell refill kits for something like $9. I wouldnt get an air compressor and all that stuff unless headlight restoration was my bread and butter.

I wouldnt offer tinting. Ive done it before and its not easy nor can it be learned quickly. You could offer window tinting removal though if you want.

Feedback please

^Here is where im confused. I notice in your signiture it has a business name and such. But then you are saying you are new to this and talking like you dont have a business. Have you alreday got your license and DBA or no?

Edit--

There are a magnitude of products that are cost effective. Quite a few meguiars pro line is redily available at most big auto parts store chains. All you really need in the beginning is a Polish, glass cleaner, soap, wax, tire shine, and an all purpose cleaner.

If your signature is for your FUTURE business then i will say this. I my self am just starting out. It isnt easy and isnt as cheap to start up as you might think. There are so many aspects of this business that arent even about detailing cars. One of the biggest things are your people skills as well as sales approach. Not to mention all your licensing fees and what not. If you are an introvert chances are you might not make it that far. If you arent confident in your knowledge or service neither will the customer. Everywhere you turn in the beginning some one will have their hand out. Here is a list of the things you will need.

People skills / confidence
    equipment
    licensing
    DBA
    EIN
    insurance
    transportation (if mobile)
    possibly accountant in the future
    are you going to be sole prop or LLC
    marketing
    website
    more people skills
    cell phone
    business bank account
    logo

To name a few. Some arent needed right off the bat but most are and each one of them except people skills cost money.

Your best bet is to read Renny Doyles book and attend a SCORE meeting. Those two things will help you a lot.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou brondondolon, the thing is, I have actually already started the business, I was just asking questions to better minimize questions I had, perhaps things to add to my business, better idea's, and the works. I have already purchased around 1800 dollars worth of equipment, and licenses. The money is not a issue and I am wonderfdul with people skills due to my father being a politician his whole life, which set me up very young to be able to talk to people. I don't let anyone take away from me regardless of how far there hands reach out, I have successfully started another business that is running strong at the moment, I am just trying to open more and be in more markets then just one. At the moment I will be a sole person, which I am already insured by a local agency here that is family with me. Also if time permits like my other business and it grows I will eventually turn it into a LLC due to legal issues. Basically I was just trying to figure out what is economical for my business and what can be added or not added to my business!
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Business Facebook page is a good idea IMO

Window tinting.. tintdude.com Stan on that site has some good videos he sells, I bought them and watched all 20 over and over and over.. worth the 200 investment.

I bought everything I needed to do that and have not done much.. it is tricky and once you learn the techniques you will be good. I tinted and stripped and tinted and stripped.... over and over and over... I find it to be fairly easy with proper techniques and tools. Some cars are very hard to shrink correctly, felt seals, tight gaskets, etc...

I was fortunate and never had a problem shrinking.. most people do.. cleaning the windows takes a very special technique as well.. those videos I mentioned teach you everything!

Good luck!

One thing I will say is the detail crowd are by far friendlier and more willing to help than the tinters. A lot of them think it's rocket science, which I find quite humorous... just learn both and practice makes perfect

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou brondondolon, the thing is, I have actually already started the business, I was just asking questions to better minimize questions I had, perhaps things to add to my business, better idea's, and the works. I have already purchased around 1800 dollars worth of equipment, and licenses. The money is not a issue and I am wonderfdul with people skills due to my father being a politician his whole life, which set me up very young to be able to talk to people. I don't let anyone take away from me regardless of how far there hands reach out, I have successfully started another business that is running strong at the moment, I am just trying to open more and be in more markets then just one. At the moment I will be a sole person, which I am already insured by a local agency here that is family with me. Also if time permits like my other business and it grows I will eventually turn it into a LLC due to legal issues. Basically I was just trying to figure out what is economical for my business and what can be added or not added to my business!

Ah ok yeah i was a little confused haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    Business Facebook page is a good idea IMO

Window tinting.. tintdude.com Stan on that site has some good videos he sells, I bought them and watched all 20 over and over and over.. worth the 200 investment.

I bought everything I needed to do that and have not done much.. it is tricky and once you learn the techniques you will be good. I tinted and stripped and tinted and stripped.... over and over and over... I find it to be fairly easy with proper techniques and tools. Some cars are very hard to shrink correctly, felt seals, tight gaskets, etc...

I was fortunate and never had a problem shrinking.. most people do.. cleaning the windows takes a very special technique as well.. those videos I mentioned teach you everything!

Good luck!

One thing I will say is the detail crowd are by far friendlier and more willing to help than the tinters. A lot of them think it's rocket science, which I find quite humorous... just learn both and practice makes perfect

Thankyou so that answers my question also about the question, I will for sure look into that site and check it out, I appreciate all this help, truly! You guys have helped me more than you guys know.
    And sorry brondonolo, I should have stated my intentions more freely, I am a fairly new business but, I am not just actually having time to get things the way they should be and the business the attention it needs.
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Its cool man. I do still suggest you read Renny Doyles book if you already havent. I for one hate reading books but that book was so insightful i couldnt stop. It will help you out immensely.

Post Thanks / Like

I will do that for sure but, question though is it a free download, a book that can be bought, or only a special place to get it, also what is the name of the actually book if you happen to know this off the top of your head? Also I hate to sound dumb but what is a SCORE meeting?
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast