autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Establishing a solid customer base

Hello AGO,
    I was hoping someone(s) could give me some input on how to get some customers. I do mobile detailing and I want to do it for a living. I have a target market (high average income households). I pass flyers out every weekend to these peoples mailboxes. I have a website, Facebook , twitter. I am really trying to get out there. Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Establishing a solid customer base

I think word of mouth is your best friend. Make sure your customers are friends of your facebook and pm them after you are done to get themto give a positive comment. Give each a business card too. The more you do, the more people will hear about you.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are this...

Just because they live in a nice neighborhood and appear to have a high income doesnt mean 1. They want to spend money on their cars 2. Have extra money to do so.

I would say target car guys/gals. Local car clubs car shows etc. Maybe an ad in the paper. Flyers are a good idea but dont limit yourself to just the "higher income" people who you think have alot of money cause they "look" rich.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    My thoughts are this...

Just because they live in a nice neighborhood and appear to have a high income doesnt mean 1. They want to spend money on their cars 2. Have extra money to do so.

I would say target car guys/gals. Local car clubs car shows etc. Maybe an ad in the paper. Flyers are a good idea but dont limit yourself to just the "higher income" people who you think have alot of money cause they "look" rich.
    My neighbourhood is this way. Everyone has nice cars but no ones cares for them in a detailing kind if way. Sometimes I cringe when I see them washing their cars. Just the other day a guy was taking a hard bristled broom to his AMG, I couldn't believe it. They must look at me like I am a mental case when I wash mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to give my input without sounding pompous, so please don't take what I say and think that I am not a humble guy. I will give you my dual perspective (ie. customer and detailer).

As a high income earner (sounds so bad) I can tell you that your marketing approach would not appeal to me. I don't know you from the other guy on the corner. I do get approached a LOT, just because of the perceived stigma of being a medical professional, so another average Joe leaving a flyer at my office or at my house ends up in the trash.... because I have "people". They may not be the best, but they were the best when I researched at the time. My "routine" is established and I am knee deep in people trying to replace my people, so again, one more average Joe .....nahhhh!

You do not become a high income earner without being very pragmatic. The only way that I will upset my routine and current relationship is if someone bring in a "bigger or better" option, and I am not convinced by a nice business card or a well done brochure. I formulate my opinion when I see the guy, speak with the guy and see the results.

SO..... since I am a detailer I will tell you what I do. I go out an shake some hands. I never leave cards on cars or pamplet on front doors or just drop of a stack at a local business. I meet and greet. During that time I discuss the vehicle and see the love the person has for the vehicle BEFORE I even start a detailing conversation. I start asking questions about their maintenance routine and AVOID discussing the flaws of other detailers (keep the conversation positive).

Psych 101 says to create a bond, then nurture that bond, and if you read "How to win friends and influence people" you will understand the psycho-emotional first step before trying to present the "options".

ALWAYS incentivize a new customer with a "treat". I always add a small "Thank You" detailing incentive to all my customer (something that we did not agree on in the price they agreed to). I then give them 3 business card and tell them: "One is for you (keep it in your car), one is for a close family member and one is for a close friend". If it is a potential customer, I don't firm up any particular dates, unless they decide to firm it up. I always finish my conversations with "let me give you some literature, and I will call you in a couple of days to see if you have any questions". (The eager beaver usually turns me off because they take away my "control" as a customer. That follow up is CRUCIAL!!!

Last point I would like to make is high income earners are usually busy as all get up and don't want to remember to call you etc... so to improve your return business, inform them that you will call or text (periodically, depending on the agreed schedule) to remind them of the services they will need (ie. by-monthly maintenance washes, quarterly wax, bi-annually clay bar, yearly polish etc...) This way you are never out of mind, and it shows that you have your act together. In addition it prevents the customers from having to remember... <--this is a plus in my book!!!!

Your job is not to "detail the car" but to provide a customer experience they did not know existed, and won't ever want to compromise on.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Dr. Pain. I also don't chase after people, I allow them to come to me. Now I do this on a part-time basis, but in most cases your past work is what will draw you the most future work. Turn out a quality product, and that will turn into several more jobs at least it has for me. The last few cars I have done have turned into several other people being interested in having theirs done. So just keep plugging a long.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 For word of mouth and letting people come to you. I haven't been able to jump in full time, but I detailed around my career last year and have already doubled my appointments for this year.

Let your work speak for itself. It may be a slow process but it will come. Just keep performing to the best of your abilities and maintain confidence in your work.

Post Thanks / Like

Also document your work very wheel, and having a neat clean website will also help a lot. My clients love seeing write ups on their cars, and so do others looking to having work done. Not many places in my area have websites, so that really helps me also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys. So building a customer is a relatively slow process? Who will be my main customers (return customers or new customers?)

Thank you guys

Post Thanks / Like

I meant that like who will end up being a bigger source of income..return or new customers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast