autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

new business help

So I am your typical detailing enthusiast. Do friends and family cars when not pampering my baby.

So the big question that is probably asked a lot. What does it take to get a detailing business going. One that is just me, and a partner, doing mobile detailing?

Whats the growth rate? Whats the average cost per detail that you guys find? How well of a chance would I have at making a detailing business work?

Startup cost?

Little about me, I do know a lot in business and marketing. Do know a lot about auto detailing as well. Computer programmer, electronic engineer (hobbyist), mechanically inclined.

If I could have someone who knows what im asking here help me out that would be great. Everyone is welcome

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new business help

pampering cars will not get you money , or at least not to sustain an running business.
    i suggest first to think your business as business man than as a detailer.

it will take you an 1-2 good years of hard work till you will get some constant results.
    in my case the grow rate was:
    · 2nd year 43% more income than first year ,
    · 3rd year 60% more income than 2nd year ,
    · 4th year over 45% more income than 3rd year
    · for 2014 , i estimate at least 20% more than 4th year

depends a lot how drive you are to get this thing running and be ready to have an 10-12h day as normal day at least in the first years, for me an 8h day , feels like half day.
    as start-up , you can start with a bucket , towels, soap and vacuum , but if you are serious to get money out , than make an business plan and invest more than 1-200.
    also marketing is an good key to have.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

will this be a side job or you want to make this full time?

make a business plan: who you'll target, what services you'll focus on, mobile/shop, market analysis, website, business cards, shirts, sales, marketing, confidence, etc..
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a lot more work then one realizes. I've been working on starting mine up since Nov and it's still not off the ground yet. I reckon I could probably have gotten it off the ground sooner but I want to get all my ducks in a row and eliminate any chance of failure. It definitely takes more of a business mindset over a detailing mindset. Here's some things you will need.

Equipment
    Insurance
    Reliable transportation
    People skills
    Business plan
    DBA
    Website
    Legal counsel
    Marketing
    Knowledge of your demographics
    Time
    Stamina
    Accountant
    Business bank account
    Separate phone line
    A name
    Shirts
    Business cards
    Logo

To name a few. Not all are initially needed but in the future will be. Depending on how far you want to take it of course. You need to figure out how many hats you want to wear also. Some one posted a "$500 mobile detailing business start up" on here you should check out. Also if you are really serious I encourage you to read the book by renny Doyle that's sold on this site. It will answer all your questions including ones you didn't realize you had.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    pampering cars will not get you money , or at least not to sustain an running business.
    i suggest first to think your business as business man than as a detailer.

it will take you an 1-2 good years of hard work till you will get some constant results.
    in my case the grow rate was:
    · 2nd year 43% more income than first year ,
    · 3rd year 60% more income than 2nd year ,
    · 4th year over 45% more income than 3rd year
    · for 2014 , i estimate at least 20% more than 4th year

depends a lot how drive you are to get this thing running and be ready to have an 10-12h day as normal day at least in the first years, for me an 8h day , feels like half day.
    as start-up , you can start with a bucket , towels, soap and vacuum , but if you are serious to get money out , than make an business plan and invest more than 1-200.
    also marketing is an good key to have.
    Yes I can agree to this. Those are interesting growth rates. What was your marketing techniques that you used in order to reach those rates?

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    will this be a side job or you want to make this full time?

make a business plan: who you'll target, what services you'll focus on, mobile/shop, market analysis, website, business cards, shirts, sales, marketing, confidence, etc..
    Small time business that would be a part of a growth of more than just detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    It's a lot more work then one realizes. I've been working on starting mine up since Nov and it's still not off the ground yet. I reckon I could probably have gotten it off the ground sooner but I want to get all my ducks in a row and eliminate any chance of failure. It definitely takes more of a business mindset over a detailing mindset. Here's some things you will need.

Equipment
    Insurance
    Reliable transportation
    People skills
    Business plan
    DBA
    Website
    Legal counsel
    Marketing
    Knowledge of your demographics
    Time
    Stamina
    Accountant
    Business bank account
    Separate phone line
    A name
    Shirts
    Business cards
    Logo

To name a few. Not all are initially needed but in the future will be. Depending on how far you want to take it of course. You need to figure out how many hats you want to wear also. Some one posted a "$500 mobile detailing business start up" on here you should check out. Also if you are really serious I encourage you to read the book by renny Doyle that's sold on this site. It will answer all your questions including ones you didn't realize you had.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online
    Very nice reply like the others. Yes of course all of this is important. What are your marketing techniques? Do you stick with the basics like facebook, craigslist. Or have you been putting more in to advertisement investment?

To All -

Thanks for the replies, all great information. One question I would like to hear from all of you, is how many 'jobs' did you have when you first started (per week)?

What type of 'detail' were they mostly? Full Detail, basic wash?

Post Thanks / Like

I would put stamina and people skills (Gift of gab) up at the top.I can't count the amount of twenty year olds that I work circles around while they are about to fall out.Cost per car on materials isn't much maybe $5. You can always schedule vehicles around your current job. Two guys working a full Sat/Sun should be able to gross a thousand bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind when setting up packages at first that most people are primarily interested in having the vehicle "waxed" and the "carpets shampooed".

Learn to play on the terminology that people are used to. I have a lit up flashing arrow sign on a main road in my town and one side of it says "Get your car waxed today!" almost year around. I get tons of calls from it. I had "Swirl Mark Removal" on it for about a month, got one call.

Be smart about everything you do, and dedicated to how you do it, and you can find success in this business.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips has another well written article HERE

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette