autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! Client Vehicle Problem

So I just finished up doing an interior detail on a Mercury Mariner. I noticed that during the detail, the doors started randomly locking. I went ahead and finished up and now the doors are repeatedly locking over and over again, and have been the past few hours. I am returning the car tomorrow and need to find out what is going on. Anyone experienced anything like this? I did the basic vacuum, steam, vacuum, protect. It started when I was wiping down the dash and there is a door lock light coming on in the gauges. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Client Vehicle Problem

I have a 99 Ford Explorer which is basically the same vehicle make. We had the same issue with the vehicle where it kept on locking. It initially happened when the vehicle was fairly new. We played around with the power lock buttons and it eventually stopped. It happened a few times & seemed random. It was not when I was cleaning it so the issue was not from getting anything wet as far as I know. Since it only happened a few times we never really had it looked at. It may be a design flaw with the switch or the locking motor. From my experience with my vehicle it is not anything that you caused by detailing the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Did this happen before or after you used the steamer?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a door lock switch got wet or a failed BCM (body control module). Depending on where the module is located, it may have gotten wet (from you or the elements) or maybe it's just on its way out from normal use.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the remote out of your back pocket...you are sitting on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    Did this happen before or after you used the steamer?
    After I steamed. I did hit the door panels, did it somehow short it or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Take the remote out of your back pocket...you are sitting on it
    I initially thought that!

www.notoriouswax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got a switch wet. You'll need to speed up the drying and hope that fixes the issue.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

I just dropped it off. It didn't act up this morning or at drop off so I didnt say anything. Guessing it dried out?

www.notoriouswax.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I just dropped it off. It didn't act up this morning or at drop off so I didnt say anything. Guessing it dried out?

Home
    I know that you were asking other professional detailers your question. However I happened to read this as I have had problems after I have worked on one of my own cars and was intrigued by what you had run into as indicated in the title of your post.

That said, I have to tell you that I am bothered by your decision not to say anything. Since the owner obviously cares about the car enough to pay for a detail it would seem to me that he would want to know about any issues that came up - even if they did go away. He may have a similar problem in the future and it would be helpful to have some idea of how/when it may have started. I guess i would really want / expect someone to say something to me if they had been working on my car and this had happened.

That said, what is done is done. But I would really hope that you would be more forthcoming the next time something like this happens. At least that is my own personal perspective on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeva View Post
    I know that you were asking other professional detailers your question. However I happened to read this as I have had problems after I have worked on one of my own cars and was intrigued by what you had run into as indicated in the title of your post.

That said, I have to tell you that I am bothered by your decision not to say anything. Since the owner obviously cares about the car enough to pay for a detail it would seem to me that he would want to know about any issues that came up - even if they did go away. He may have a similar problem in the future and it would be helpful to have some idea of how/when it may have started. I guess i would really want / expect someone to say something to me if they had been working on my car and this had happened.

That said, what is done is done. But I would really hope that you would be more forthcoming the next time something like this happens. At least that is my own personal perspective on the situation.
    Fair enough, I totally understand where you are coming from. I have detailed this car before and I know the owner's very well. I didn't encounter this issue the last time I worked on the car. My only though was that maybe it had gotten moist and would probably dry overnight or that the keyfob battery had gone bad. The next morning (today), there were no issues with it. I tested the locking with the keyfob a few times and waited around with it and it didn't do anything. They got back with me today and let me know they were really happy with it.

I am going to get with them to let them know. I think you're right and appreciate the input. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast