autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I offer paint decontamination?

Should I offer that as a add option to any of my packages? And how much extra should it be for cars and full size vehicles? What is the best way to pitch it to potential customers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I offer paint decontamination?

Paint decontamination shouldn't be an "option" in my opinion. I've seen tons of detail shops that up charge $50+ for a claybar treatment but I don't understand what they're going to do if a customer opts for any level of polishing and doesn't go for the claybar upgrade. Are they just going to polish over all the grit??? Doesn't make sense to me.

My recommendation would be to just include it as a standard feature in all of your packages that involve polishing.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abram86 View Post
    Should I offer that as a add option to any of my packages? And how much extra should it be for cars and full size vehicles? What is the best way to pitch it to potential customers?
    You need to figure out the costs of the products/chemicals/supplies you are going to use to decontaminate vehicles...plus what value you place on your time to do so.

One selling-point:
    Contaminates like brake dust and acid rain can really cause severe damage to the paint system...
    Taking away from the vehicle's re-sale value...
    Also...even to the point to where a re-spray may be needed.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Paint decontamination shouldn't be an "option" in my opinion. I've seen tons of detail shops that up charge $50+ for a claybar treatment but I don't understand what they're going to do if a customer opts for any level of polishing and doesn't go for the claybar upgrade. Are they just going to polish over all the grit??? Doesn't make sense to me.

My recommendation would be to just include it as a standard feature in all of your packages that involve polishing.
    Right now I dont offer polishing. I figured there is a added benefit for claying a car so I wanted to make it an add on until I learn the correct way to buff and polish. Once I learn that ill create a package of decontamination and polishing

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on what nicholas has pointed out. A bare minimum should be a clay bar treatment. You can take it a step further with products such as Iron-X, Iron-Out, tar removers etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree.

I will simply not polish point without decontaminating it first. Not ever. It is part of the price of the detail regardless.

Besides the obvious benefit to the owner in terms of mitigating the chance of clear coat failure and improving the look of the paint, they are informed of the risk of dislodging the contaminants during polishing which may lead to them being ground back into the paint, doing even more damage to the paint.

In my opinion paint polishing cannot occur on contaminated paint.

If you do not polishing, I assume you do wash n wax type 'details'. If this is the case, then decontaminating the paint will not only improve the looks in and of itself, but will also help your LSP bond to the actual paint, and thus increase its longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe for heavily soiled cars you can charge a bit more to compensate for material/product

but to have it as an extra service, eh.. many others will disagree and have it as an add-on
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

I only have one option in my services where I don't decon. the paint, and that is the cheapest option for people who are looking to really save on price and are not overly crazy about having their car perfect. Other than that though every car is decon'd.

Post Thanks / Like

Offer a package that includes it and a package that doesn't. Decon is important but if people don't want to pay for it don't do it.

It's not like one decon will change the fate of a 2007 minivan that gets wash and vacuumed twice a year anyway. If you can't properly follow up/keep it decontaminated you really aren't gaining much.

[gets behind brick wall]
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Mark here is probably (imo) the best guys that understands his market on these boards
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast